Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭ForestFire

"The company is not intended to be profit-making, as the cost incurred by beverage suppliers when producing specially labelled cans and bottles is expected to be equal to the amount of uncollected deposits"

So DRS is a private company run by the beverage suppliers and they are taking the cost of labelling from us!!

Seriously what is this cost, how long does this cost last and why are we paying for it.

How many directors and how much are they getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Poland is planning a scheme due to start in 2025. Like Ireland it will be part funded by uncollected deposits. The more I check on upcoming schemes, the more the similarity with Ireland stands out. I don't understand why some people think our scheme is some sort of outlier. The old Czech system was praised here, but they are replacing that with a scheme like ours to get recycle rates up.

In my experience takeaways charge a lot for drinks. Could be compared to cinemas in this regard. People could buy them cheaper even with the deposit, and keep them in the fridge to use with takeaway meals they consume at home.

https://www.agroberichtenbuitenland.nl/actueel/nieuws/2024/03/06/deposit-system-in-poland#:~:text=The%20Polish%20government%20is%20working,be%20delayed%20by%20a%20year.

"Uncollected deposits will be used to finance the deposit system. The deposit is intended to encourage the return of packaging, thereby increasing the amount of reused and recycled raw materials used to produce packaging."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Massive incentive. Used to stock take in a nightclub I worked in. The cost of the raw ingredients for a soft drink are pence. Mark up is massive.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,797 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep, even in the eighties I used to charge 32p for a dash from those things in England. Nobody batted an eyelid.

Feckin disaster if one of the syrup bags bursts in the storeroom though 🤬😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Daith

I think nightclubs and pubs are slightly different and perhaps better equipped than a cafe having a fridge and some deliveries.

• Advertisement

We used to buy gallon cans of concentrate from the cash and carry and the equipment was self contained. About all we needed to do was keep the concentrate topped up and very very occasionally change the CO2 bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

So I've mentioned here before that my local Lidl machines were great and I haven't had a problem. Well today is the opposite, both machines out of order and were still out of order an hour later.

Fecks sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

So you could say they have until the end of the month to polish them off ………………………….. I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TokTik

Exactly. Very cheap beer works in Germany, why aren’t we rolling that out?? Or Currywurst stands??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I used a machine over the weekend and had no real issues (apart from a local takeaway who charged the deposit on a can that isn't in the scheme). The machine worked quickly and gave me my voucher.

The problem I noticed though was that all of the 4 people who used machines at around the same time as me had their cans/bottles in bags for life which were then binned. All of them likely sticky and wet. Someone will be a long in a minute to say "Oh you can't clean and dry and have 100% perfectly pristine cans and bottles all the time?!" but unfortunately I and many others live in reality where our storage bags will get dirty despite our best efforts. Cans are hard to fully clean and dry based on their shape. Bottles fine. All in all it seems that people are going to be buying a lot more "bags for life". I've been using cheap big bags to keep costs down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,429 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It can be messy.

I leave the caps on bottles.

In cans I stuff one piece of (new!) toilet roll, which I remove putting in machine and bin. Lot cheaper than binning a bag 4 life and I'd run out of paper bags pretty quick.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I leave very little drink in the can.

Next step put the can upside down in a cardboard box.

Any residue soaks into the cardboard and dries out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,797 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Which in theory makes the box unrecyclable as it's not clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It does not matter if there is bit of drink or paper left in a can as they end up in furnace anyway. Plastic recycling is more problematic and they should have insist on removing cap as that is different type of plastic and will have to be separated at additional cost when plastic gets recycled. (if it gets recycled). Same go for labels which may be made from different type of plastic albeit close related to the bottle itself.

Simple ask of having caps not included could bring company more profit as what they sell now is contaminated plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So why in the name of Moses have they started linking the cap to the bottle if the cap needs to come off??

If you use brown cardboard you can chop it up and put it in the compost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And then the EU make it law from 1st July that all drinks containers sold with twist on caps must have the cap permanently attached to the container which to me would mean complete contamination of all clear plastics being recycled. I think someone is taking the piss with us to be honest and seeing how long before we crack or start asking sensible questions to their madness.

Correct a drop in the can won't be a problem for the system.

However it may be a nuisance for the people transporting the cans to the RVM.

If you can keep them upright it's ok but in a bag they drip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭Tow

The same green logic which though diesel engines are clean.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…many of those countries implemented these policies during low inflation periods, we re now in a completely different period…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,692 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Re-Turn site recommends leaving the caps on. The internet tells me that this is the correct process these days, different from the past. The two materials get separated after shredding by placing them in water, where the lid material sinks and the bottle material floats.

"Do I have to remove the lid when returning my plastic bottle?

You can return your empty, undamaged plastic bottle with or without the lid. We recommend returning bottles with caps, because this will ensure that the cap is recycled, too. Also, if the bottle cap is still on, it is easier to preserve the shape of the bottle."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

has this been posted before 🤔 with threads going funny, not sure. Jennifer Whitmore doesn’t trust ReTurn anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,487 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I bought a small cream and the lid stayed on as its there to be recycled as all in one rather than hunting for the top.

I use one of those green delivery trays you get with home delivery and stack the cans upright and bottles with caps on and never a mess as its usually full. I also had a small recycling bags for water bottles with tops on and no mess.

Having caps on i assume less mess for ourselves when recycling.

2 cans rejected non labelled with icon so green bin and no deposit charged.

No issues as of yet and happy so far

Beats me. Perhaps because it is a money making scheme where bulk of profit come from unclaimed deposits despite of what they are saying and any recycling is just a secondary afterthought. I seriously doubt any recycling will take place in Ireland, material will most likely be shipped somewhere else.

If you do have some older bottles in the house it is actually prined on some of them that bottle and cap should be recycled separately. They are different type of plastic. Also labels which used to be paper labels long time ago are now made from plastic film some of which are different plastic than bottle or cap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The machines are constantly out of order in Ennis where I live. Every time I've tried to use one in the past 2 weeks at multiple locations the machines have either been broken or full.

It's getting a bit silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i love how some people are like "it will be 100% illegally against the law to sell a can/bottle after june 1st without the return logo. shops are obliged by this obligation and MUST follow it!"

like seriously, whats gonne happen 😂 someone will email re-turn to inform them & return will reply with a automatic email to say it's been forwarded to the relevant department? will yiz please get a grip😭

• Advertisement

Sunday Times 27 May, link is behind a paywall.

"Retailers participating in the deposit return scheme (DRS) will be fined €5,000 from next weekend if found selling old stock of the plastic containers and cans without the Re-turn logo. June 1 will mark the end of the transition period for retailers, meaning they must sell any containers not registered with the scheme."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

They will send the bottle police around to confiscate all illegal bottles and cans,it's a serious offence to dodge tax in this country,even the bottle tax.

The start of this video explains how recycling deals with bottle lids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,639 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tough, your rubbish is part of you now.

You will bring it with it until one of these bins says yes. Or throw them in a bush, either way Re-Chit-Ching wins.

Obey the logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’ve experienced this just a couple of times- usually sorted by the time I leave the supermarket BUT- that’s a lot of extra work for a supermarket employee - I don’t know how many times a day they have to empty the bins or push down the material to clear the blockages but it must be a right pain in the ass.
    You’d think the machines would have been built to take a lot more items before a declutter was required. You’re reliant then on the supermarket being dedicated to clearing faults and keeping the machine in service -and that’s just to keep it running - how reliable overall are the machines I wonder? How often do they have to call out the service people?

see DXHound’s post above - they get separated in process so perfectly ok to leave the annoyingly attached cap on

• Advertisement

The capacity & turnover, and staff time needed, wasn’t exactly well calculated ahead of rolling it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I used it again this morning. Two machines were free, the first machine refused to accept any bottles the first time and then gave a warning for unusual activity detected and shut down for a few minutes

The 2nd machine worked fine.

Obviously this is the machine that will get full faster, while the other machine causes nothing but frustration. Not a great experience. I'm guessing the bar code reader is all gunked up (which should have been expected given that there will be inevitable spills of sticky syrupy liquid all around the entrance to the conveyor belts ) and struggles to read from multiple angles

"We copied the system in Germany!" don't you know.

No we didn't. We copied the idea of the system but re-invented the wheel and in doing so most shops bought the absolute cheapest possible RVM, and surprise surprise, they are not up to scratch, are too small so fill up quickly, get stuck, are constantly out of order.

Any and/or every electoral candidate that comes to my door is going to be asked about this sham of a system.

The stores are open 12+ hours per day and in most cases not overstaffed.

Someone has to be available at all times to tend to the RVMs whether it's a breakdown or just a full bin.

All the floor staff have set designated tasks to keep them busy during their shifts.

Of course the busier the shop the quicker the RVM will fill up and at the same time the floor staff will be distracted with other jobs.

The only solution is extra staff which the shop owners will want to avoid but something has to give and it shouldn't be the customer being unnecessarily discomodded.

Not entirely correct. If you watched it or know anything about it the guy actually said it would be easier to recycle if they would be from the same material (or separated). Some countries require separation before recycling. Being of different material and recycled together there is another unnecessary step involved in separation which cost energy and water.

If re-turn is poised to make money from material only they would be very incentivized to ask public for removal of the caps as that would leave them with higher quality of product which would fetch a better price when selling it to actual recycling company.

Re-turn is just another middleman who stuck their hand in the process of recycling while fully financed by anyone and everyone who pay deposit and dont come back for refund. You would see them hat in hand in dail asking for money if people returned 100% of stuff they were charged deposit for despite claims of how they are going to be financed by selling recyclable material. That is precisely the reason behind attempt to issue fines for selling containers without logo and without deposit charged. That deposit is their bread and butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

Biggest payday Ive seen on here was 200 euro voucher from @BoardsBottler.

Note the majority of that was a stream of containers from their place of work if I recall correctly.

However we are a long way off what's going on in this video. He's crushing containers and heading to a bulk return centre to collect his winnings.

I doubt we'll see many people out looking for containers in Ireland due to:

- containers cant be crushed and must be good enough condition

- having to tour about trying to find a working RVM that doesnt sh!t itself half way through feeding containers in 1 by 1. No bulk return centres.

- requirement to queue up in store to get cashed out (Australia allow refund to bank account).

Nonsense.

I am very much looking forward to the video of the person who has gone collecting cans, has been feeding them into the machine and is watching the counter go up, is planning to "cash out" when it hits 200 but then the machine crashes, and 'forgets' what has been fed into it, reboots and just displays "Welcome to ReTurn".

I expect the reaction to be… priceless.

• The voucher and cash thing seems to just be down to the fact that the system is modelled on Germany, one of the few countries in Europe that has a major dislike of cards and contactless.

Ireland's definitely headed more towards the Nordic and UK attitudes to cashless payments. It should be possible to just have the money loaded back to a debit card.

Some countries have better systems for that though than we do. The banks here had been about to launch a payment platform called Yippay that would have allowed payment directly to a mobile phone number, very easily. But, the project fell apart last year and it never happened.

It would have been a similar system to what Revolut use, but open to all the banks.

Entering an IBAN number on the machine would be a total pain in the rear.

It's pretty clear the reason why it was done that way was because the retailers operating the RVMs \ taking returns wanted us to spend the voucher in their store. And the government which is supposed to balance the needs of different participants in the scheme caved in to retailers. Just as they caved into retailers by having a takeback exemption of 250 square metres much larger than even the large one originally set. That wasn't copied from Germany.

The ordinary public came dead last in the priorities of the Government.

With an added screw you to those with limited mobility, those living in locations without RVMs, those who get home deliveries…

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

I was thinking everyone who wants bank refunds gets a Re-Turn mobile app + account with IBAN already added to account. QR code displays on RVM screen. Scan QR code with phone camera. Money sent to bank. Done.

As @odyssey06 has already pointed out in Ireland vested interests always win out. Customers / public exist only to be milked for every penny.

The ordinary public came dead last in the priorities of the Government.

The ordinary public came dead last in a number of priorities of the current sitting government. I am expecting a major shift come election time.

So we are going to have to pay three times for the scheme? Once for the inconvenience, once for the increased bin charges and thirdly with increased store prices because of the extra staff needed to keep the rvm running.

I am currently working for a Norwegian bank. Norway like other Scandinavian countries is basically 99% cashless and Ireland is going that way except our banks who the people saved about 15 years ago, have done nothing to improve their systems. Is it any wonder every person I know now has a Revolut account??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

While you are quite correct, that would be very easy to do 'at the front end' / user interface, we don't know how re-turn is set up at the back end, both technically speaking, but also to protect against fraud, etc. Key difference being that ther is no 'front end' today (no app), so it can be built, but the 'back end' is already built and not so easy to 'pivot' as such.

Consider the limitation we have today that a voucher from a store can only be used in that specific store. You cannot even use it in another branch, its location bound. Now just like they managed to set the scheme up to accept bottles bought in any store at any machine, re-turn could have been set itself up so that vouchers printed at any machine could have been redeemed as in any store. That flexibility in turn would have allowed cash to be redeemed in other ways (like on an app) and it would also have allowed for vouchers to be generated from machine locations that are not tied to a retail store (e.g. civic amenity, office blocks, schools, airports).

Instead re-turn, a brand new scheme remember, was, it seems, set up to be location limited, re-turn clearly believe that to be perfectly acceptable. I wonder if that is because there is an operational reason (like for example the retailer fee is paid or accounted for in their back end based on redeemed vouchers, and not units collected), or for a risk reason (like they would need a secure way and manage to 'issue' cash vouchers, and this would be way too much effort with no benefit to re-turn). Most likely it was down to a lack of imagination or any consideration of the end user (because of all of this benefits the end-user only).

None of this is unsurmountable, much of it would be as easy in fact as the front end - ticketing, voucher and gift card schemes amongst others have overcome these obstacles - I just don't think re-turn would have been planning for any such innovations and it may now be too late to change.

Rather like an RVM machine that is out of order, the thread is stuck again… feeding it more posts to try to unstick it :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement