Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford election hub

Options
  • 18-05-2024 11:01am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Finding it almost impossible to get information online about the local election candidates. The new Waterford Election Hub does not work on PC or mobile. Antone else finding problems with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

I see Jim Darcy FG has Cllr ón his posters above his name.. Surely this is fraudulent and should be forced to take these down?

Below is the official candidate list with existing councillors having C'llr next to their name

Post edited by Bards on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Posters are being reused from 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Should have been forced to hide/remove the C'llr above his name as could be bring the result into disrepute if he gets elected

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Is there specific rules round what can be written on a poster? I’m not sure it would have much of an influence on the amount of votes he gets if I’m honest - it does look a bit silly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'd say having Cllr before your name would more likely be a negative 😂

It won't be on the ballot paper anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Having a candidates name and party / no party listed is fine, but trying to get information on what they stand for or their background is impossible on line. There are a number of independent candidates standing but I cannot find anything online to help make a decision, posters are pointless and unless you get a flyer in the door with some kind of info, you are left in the blind. Not a great way to run a democracy, with informed voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Valhalla90

Ryan in Cork yesterday announcing funding left right and centre for their rail network. No planning even secured yet, while Waterford airport has full planning permission for the runway extension and private funding ready to go yet Ryan couldn’t give a toss. Please remember this on the 7th of June with the Greens running. Our Green TD just ignores my comments now on social media. Election Day will open his eyes his arrogance is shocking. Waterford definitely not in his heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah shur its a fundamental part of green ideology, theyre hardly gonna come out and announce their full support for it, be realistic folks!

…marc is goosed though….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The Greens are a major reason South Dublin wont get a metro for many many years. Im a former Green myself but couldn't touch them now.

was considering joining at one stage, but i know id be driven demented by them, theyre very out of touch, but then again, i think most parties are, i admire what they stand for and what theyre trying to do, but they havent a clue what theyre talking about, most cant afford what theyre advocating for…..

its disturbing we re still only talking about building a metro, but to be fair to the greens, its fault is not only truly with them, but we all current and former government parties and entities, modern rail networks is exactly what advanced economies require in order to advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gardner

Just looking at the list of candidates and cant see really much change happening

Tramore and Waterford; can see the Greens losing a seat here and a gain by SF.
    Waterford City East; another Greens loss and anything could happen with transfers.
    Waterford City South; think there is a SF loss on the cards here with Bailey, think Reinhardt or a Soc Dem will take a seat.

Will be great to see no green Cllr’s or MEP locally after this week. General Election will happen between Sept and November as there is potential for 4 by-elections to be held (November by law) if the European elections play out and generally government parties loose these so they wont risk it.
    Greens will lose their seat to SF (McGuinness) with Shanahan’s seat a dog fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

That's very optimistic for Sinn Fein. Would have thought Shanahan's seat was safer than Cullinanes.

If i remember correctly Cullinane got in with a record number of first choice votes, then shouted up the RA at his celebration party and then dissappeared for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

… indeed but Cullinane and Sinn Fein in general must be given huge credit for realising that appealing to hearts and minds, well the "minds" part anyway was a permanently losing strategy… and switching tactics to capitalise on the fact that the votes of the disaffected, the uneducated and also the terminally dumb count equally, so expect Cullinane's "" to "tiocfaidh" again. Quite comfortably too.

id say sf are screwed in regards the ge, its looking like another ffg unfortunately…..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Rustyman101

Shanahan the only Waterford TD that actually questions the shite we are being constantly subjected to by the current unholy trinity.

SF only interested in the "party"

Unfortunately nothing will change in Waterford at least shanahan annoys them.

sadly that's the best we can ask for with the level of representation we have, all more interested in the party than the actual electorate they are supposed to represent.

Hopefully a few surprises to the current status quo.

Hahaha i got a good laugh from this, do you honestly think Cullinane will loose 13-15k votes in the next GE, bonkers stuff. Cullinane has been probably the most vocal TD from Waterford during this term, all because of his portfolio within SF. He will loose about 2-3k going on the national opinion polls.

The next GE in Waterford will be SF (2) Cullinane (13k) and McGuinness (4-5k) FF (1) Mary Butler (5-6k) & FG or Ind (1) Cummins or Shanahan(5k) I don't know which one is the lessor of the 2 evils between those two. Note 1st pref estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Couldn't pick two from the list above that I would vote for or that represent my POV, same rehashed crap unfortunately.

DC has been vocal alright but hasn't had much to say on issues that directly effect Waterford the constituency that elected him, but I assume he knows he's a shoe in so why bother !

I agree with your synopsis on the GE result unfortunately.

Only guarantee for the GE is Cullinane and Shanahan. Butler is 50/50 . I cannot see the Green TD retaining his seat especially now with the airport fiasco ongoing. He would be no loss anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Cullinane will easily get elected, but to suggest that he has been the most vocal Waterford TD is hilarious. He is afraid to even mention the word Waterford lest he offend anyone. Biggest disappointment ever. Shanahan has been diligent in pursuit of government and has published all his Dail contributions. Rest…..!

• Advertisement

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Shanahan is quite old guard conservative. Not very different than Fine Gael or Fianna Fáil in his views. Published all his Dáil contributions but failed to declare he was a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Says the SF voter! Failed to decalre one property AFAIK. A mortal sin! I bet he paid water charges too and probably goes to mass on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭decies

sickening to see all the people sucking up to the local candidates from government parties on Facebook . Have these people no memory or what !! They should all be wiped away in locals and general election with their fake and unfurfilled promises .

so true I don’t understand this! FG/FF/GP should be wiped out in Waterford.

tbh the General Election is the big one in terms of getting the government out. We can’t sit here and say we are being left behind constantly if we keep voting FG/FF into power.

true enough, the ge is probably far more important, but that reality is, is looking very likely to be another ffg government, sf are screwed, many potential sf voters are running to the fringes, sf need every vote they can get, and thats currently looking very unlikely, so we better prepare ourselves…..

• Advertisement

SF has lost some ground but I wouldn’t rule them out yet! Independents are going to be strong next GE. Maybe with Butler in FF we have some hope but as for FG I can’t understand why anyone in Waterford could vote them after their record here.

Advertisement