Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup final thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Congrats Toulouse, best team on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm devastated at the result. Leinster looked like they really tried hard to go up against Toulouse. However Leinster have fallen well short of their efforts today for their 3rd Final in a row.

It's such a huge disappointment to see Leinster fall down at this hurdle once again. Their confidence as a team must be completely destroyed at this particular great moment of greatness before them.

Toulouse however have won their sixth star at a European Rugby Final. That is a really huge achievement for the whole team. They are one of the best sides of Europe at this time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

Sorry, the standard was set in the first half. If you're going to ref the one handed knock on in the first half a couple of meters from the line as not even a penalty, then you go straight to a yellow for one where the ball goes through both Lowes hands near the 22, then you're not reffing consistently. What would have happened if he'd given a yellow in the first half when we were starting to settle and start to apply pressure. The ref was absolutely a factor.

Our bad decisions were a factor too. Both things can be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think Leinster were ever ahead.

Could have taken a penalty to go ahead which would have surely changed the dynamic of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

A fantastic win by Toulouse. Well deserved. They played excellent Cup final rugby. Defended extremely well and took their points when the opportunities came.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was driving for the DG at the end of normal time, was it close?

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

the one in the first half wasn’t a knock on. It went backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭ironingbored

The question is why wasn't it the same for Toulouse batting it out in the first half. It's the inconsistencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

At the start of the season I thought Byrne was the better option for the green 10 shirt. However he's been so inconsistent since he returned from injury. Another okish performance but we need more than that from a Leinster 10.

Will Frawley get a look in again? Will Prendergast be able to make the step up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Carley was even-handed. When it gets frenetic he doesn't worry about details, for any team. He stood and watched Porter boring in for long stretches because he's not terribly au fait with scrums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think that's harsh. Not so much on Ross but there were horrific decisions made around the team. He's an easy scapegoat but realistically, who put their hand up today bar Josh.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

because the Toulouse one wasn’t a knock on.

the question was whether he deliberately slapped it into touch and he obviously didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thought I was having a minor freak out there when I saw 2 zebras on the pitch 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

It was. Drifted to the left at the dying moment. But I think there was a scrum advantage, he probably shouldn't have taken the drop attempt. A scrum would likely lead to a pen as we were killing their scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I felt it when we beat La Rochelle that the rock, paper, scissors was going to invert and we'd lose to Toulouse.

**** shite buzz

He was on his arse. He wasn't the reason we lost but he rode us dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

unlucky leinster, played the better rugby , but need to keep the scoreboard ticking over when you get the opportunity.

No shame in losing to that Toulouse side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

Leinster played the better rugby. Toulouse played the smarter rugby.

They need to move Cullen upstairs somewhere and let Nienaber run the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,711 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seems to be a similar trait with Ireland in the World Cup.

They just cant seem to deliver a performance when its really needed.

Pressure seems to get the better of them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,495 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

But it wasn't a YC all day long as in the first half when Roumat (?) Did similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Attempts at drop kicks were brutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes but it's a yellow card for slapping the ball into touch.

The only remotely marginal decisions Leinster got were called by touch judges. It was pretty farcical to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Watched the same game you did, and disagree. And I'd be willing to bet I'm more objective than most Leinster fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you think Carley was remotely objective watch how long it took to give the holding on penalty against Sheehan's line break versus Sheehan's (?) for Leinster on the half way line. He has little interest in giving Leinster a call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

3 finals lost and as far as I can remember ref got blame 3 times..,... Same as when Ireland get knocked out. Time to look inward and learn to play a ref. I though maybe the yellow card the ref was clear in his decisions. Team needs to adapt their game. Points left out there by simply thinking that you should go for the corner at all times

Good for you if you feel you're more objective but I did watch the same game. He was lightning quick to penalise Leinster in the ruck, let Toulouse ride the clock etc.

As I said, he's not the reason Leinster lost. Their lack of ability and mentality failed them but Carley was very very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Carling was inconsistent but those inconsistencies were irrelevant to the match outcome. I'm following this thread because all the cribbing and moaning is entertaining.

Meanwhile people in Toulouse now don't give a flying f**k what Leinster fans think about the referee

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Blaming Ross Byrne and Leo Cullen is ridiculous.

Yes you need a top quality ten but he'll be there next year as I'm assuming that's where Jordy Barrett will play.

Ross Byrne did not cost Leinster the Champions cup today.

Leo has got you to three consecutive Champions cup finals. He's not a problem. Just because you haven't got over the line, and through mistakes on the field on each occasion, it's not his fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement