Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup final thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There's nothing wrong with kicking for the corner, but you need the rugby smarts to adjust if it's not working and the opposition's maul defence is top drawer. This is where Leinster let themselves down, there was abundant evidence kicking for the corner was not the value play and taking the 3pts was the correct way to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But they did award the try

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

no, he didn’t.

Lowe knocking the ball on is irrefutable. He threw his hand up and the ball went forward off it. He had no reasonable prospect of catching it, and he stopped a break.

The Toulouse player touched the ball and it bounced backwards into touch. He did not deliberately try slap it into touch.

Knocking the ball backwards and it bouncing into touch does not automatically equate to slapping the ball into touch, which is why it wasn’t a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In the context of this tight game Leinster taking the chance to finally go ahead was the right option and that's not just with hindsight.

Has happened in a few Munster/Ireland/Leinster games now if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

You always felt it was a matter of when Toulouse would land the knockout blow, not if. Leinster had little moments of promise but Toulouse were in control for the majority of that match. Leinster got destroyed at the breakdown and swarmed in attack. Surprisingly, the scrum was the only area where Leinster could compete.

Defending against Leinster is very easy with Ross at 10. JGP would actually be better passing the ball straight to Osborne, because all Ross does is shovel it on and slow the attack down, giving defences time to leave him and drift because they know he's no threat.

But Leinster losing a final is hardly surprising. Just don't have the star quality to get over the line against top sides. That's 3 in a row now. Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They both threw their hand up for a ball they had zero chance of catching, one went forward, one went directly into touch. Both yellow cards.

The Lowe yellow was a clear yellow. If it was a Toulouse player, Leinster fans would be screaming for a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Telling how those saying Carley was consistent conveniently fail to mention 2 no arms tackles (for one of which a player had to leave the field), calling turnover penalties lightning quick for TOU vs for Leinster, not reviewing a clear rip by Ntamack when a try had been scored, Willis egregiously coming in at the side and lifting the ball when a ruck had been formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Gosh, that sounds like quite the egregious list. I wonder if Toulouse fans, who were watching with an eagle eye to see if they ever had a questionable call go against them, might have a similar tally of complaints? I'll bet they do.

Leinster also got away with a 5 yard forward pass on their own tryline.

Swings and roundabouts

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

no.
    if Lowe had knocked the ball backwards it would have been play on, even if the ball had bounced into touch.

Similarly, if Toulouse had knocked it forward it would have been a yellow card.

The two incidents are not comparable and the ref got both correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm surprised at the lack of commentary around Frawleys drop goal attempt at the end of the game in normal time. There was no pressure put on him from Toulouse and it was right in front of the posts...little distant yes but really should have put that over. Again mentality has to be questioned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's grand if you ignore smacking the ball into touch as illegal. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd like to see a replay of those sacked nails in the Toulouse 22. Felt we were unlucky not to get any change from mauls going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’m not normally one to do the ref criticism post match win or loss but I have serious issue with Carley.
    He has form in this regard, the Wales Fiji match in the WC was the most one sided refereeing performance I’ve seen in my lifetime and should have meant Carley relegated to U10’s.
    Leaving the knock on/deliberate slap aside as this is open to interpretation, there were some major errors that absolutely affected momentum in the game and most definitely influenced the outcome.
    Joe McCarthy’s try ruled out, the ball was ripped by Ntamack (I think). A rip is not a knock on, Carley called it as a knock on. Black and white wrong decision denying Leinster a try under the posts.
    Lowe’s try in the corner ruled out. Leinster had penalty advantage, Carley called a knock on in the buildup, no tv evidence of it that I saw, commentators didn’t see it. No tmo check. 🤷‍♂️

Jack Willis turnover, massive moment in the game and a huge shift in momentum. The ball was not out of the ruck and Willis came round and picked it up. Should have been a Leinster penalty and possibly a card because it was so blatant. Instead tls are up on the Leinster try line.

DuPont turnover after Sheehan break. DuPont’s hands were on the ground and he never attempted a lift, got the penalty. I’m fine with this in isolation. The contrast shortly after when Sheehan was over the ball for a very long time was stark. Yes Sheehan got the penalty eventually but only because tls couldn’t shift him no matter how hard they tried leaving Carley no choice.

I know Leinster made mistakes but I feel a lot of the silly penalties they have away were out of pure frustration, that was understandable in my eyes.

The refereeing team did their utmost to deny JVDF a try and we’re looking for every mitigation to not give the red. Both decisions were pretty obvious to the viewer and the commentary teams but not the refereeing teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Carley had a poor game but that's not unusual. I think Leinster were poor today but they could very easily won had they taken their 3 points when on offer.

Dupont was immense. Without him, there's no way Toulouse win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭riddles

Ringrose was sadly missed in a game like that.

Meh. Think Osborne and Henshaw were fine. Ringrose gets massively overrated I feel. Don't see what difference he would have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

I kept thinking I somehow missed the incident that people were saying was the same as the Lowe yellow. This is what they're talking about? Oh, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭ironingbored

You're always going to get 50/50s for one side or the other which generally even themselves out. But there were several incidents that are directly comparable. I see you didn't give your opinion on the rip/no try, no-arms tackles not the Dupont/Sheehan turnovers.

That's not to say Leinster weren't the authors of their own downfall. But the above were big momentum swings. But I guess if you're not in the final you have even less chance that Leinster of winning one. Hopefully they can pick themselves up and go again in the URC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Mentality was correct , mentality meant he tried, something with Byrne would kot have done, at least frawley went out trying.

Also he was under pressure, there was a toulouse player within 5 yards when he connected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Are Leinster now the Buffalo Bills of European Rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭PMC83

It's been a tough run for sure, but better to be competing in European finals rather then nowhere near them. Leinster not having the star power to complete with top teams? Just trash talk tbh. We bettered last years champs away and home this year. We've a great record against Toulouse up until today, when unfortunately things didn't go our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Munster fan here. Haven't read this thread back so apologies for repetition.

Feel bad for you leinster fans. Genuinely think the ref was inconsistent at the ruck. He was calling not releasing against leinster in half a second, and didn't do same other way round.

See Sheehans poach just before half time. Ref took an age to call that.

Also think that many of those penalties awarded to toulouse were toulouse lads not supporting their own weight.

Don't at all buy the Donal Lenihan line of Leinster not taking their 3 points when they "had the chance".

A lot of those chances were not kicks that Ross Byrne was likely to get, even on a good day. Thought he had a poor game. His kicks to touch, particularly in the 2nd half were very poor.

I laughed out loud when he chipped over the top and tried to chase his own kick. He's been a great Leinster servant, but speed has never been something he was blessed with. I don't doubt his desire to win, but I think he's never been a 10 that Leinster need.

Sexton came off on 62 minutes in 2022. If he was young and fit enough to play 80 minutes, I don't see leinster losing that.

And I think that's why leinster have lost 3 finals in a row. Your 10.

Every other position is top class. But you'll only ever be as good as your 10.

Feel for ye guys/gals. But still a trophy to play for. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

5 yards is not close...well not to me. I think he has to nail it...Sexton wouldn't have missed it...I know unfair to compare players but he wouldn't as he had balls steel under pressure...Crawley didn't unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Well maybe if they actually have him any gametime in the position? Who knows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I didn't give my option because there's no point. Who the hell am I going to convince if I think they were fair enough?

Not that I'm saying they were. I'm disappointed - I wanted Leinster to win, not a French team. But just like the game against Ulster, Leinster were repelled multiple times going for the line rather than taking their points. Neither Doris nor Ryan is a very good captain. That the problem, not Carley.

You want momentum swings? Porter boring straight across and earning penalties rather than getting penalised himself, because Carley apparently doesn't know what the hell he's looking at. That's a momentum swing.

Or maybe you're right and Carley secretly hates Leinster.

Anyway, Leinster fans are hurting, anf I understand that and sympathise, so I'm just going to bow out of what I know will be a very fraught discussion.

Bad luck, lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement