Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I wouldn't dismiss Kilkenny. If Mullen comes back in with TJ, Cody and Donnelan (great point scoring today) that's still a formidable forward line. They'll robably be in Leinster final win that through to All Ireland semi where they love playing in Croke Park. Gave Limerick plenty in last two finals. They remain hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

Good performance. Still carrying a few lads and we've no punch off the bench but plenty of good stuff on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I don't know how you take the ref out of the game when he had a direct hand in 5 of the points Kilkenny got in that last 10 minutes. 2 from clear fouls by Kilkenny players when we had possession and he waved played on. Then the goal which was double digits steps and a possible throw.

Anyway, they'll be annoyed after that game and should take it out on Galway the next day. Great to see us have a goal threat once again.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

They were beaten out the gap in last years AI and it doesnt look like they are any better this year.

Their only hope of beating Limerick is if Limerick have come back quite a bit. They can beat everyone else however.

It's nothing new though. Can anyone tell me a tight game against a 'traditional hurling county' where Dublin got the rub? I'll wait!

It's not a conspiracy, just confirmation bias. Refs are amateurs after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

There was two clear fouls after the goal on Dublin players.

1 in the centre back area as a Dublin player was being strangled coming out with the ball. Kilkenny got a point of it.

The 2nd less than a minute later. Dublin player contesting a high ball in wing forward position and having the head pulled off him, certain point forxBurke if free given. I am a "let it flow" man, but those were 100% Dublin frees and absolutely critical in the final result.

Obviously 6 steps at least in build up to the goal, but Id be more critical of the 2 frees above, there is no excuse for the ref missing those.

I would also say that Dublin dont help themselves either with poor option taking or execution at crucial times.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

There wasn't double digits steps in the run up to the goal, 6,7 or even 8 maybe, nothing exceptional in today's game sadly, Hayes took 11 before sending his goal attempt slightly wide for example. You're right it did look like a throw however, but then there was two or three in the build up to the first Dublin goal. Not all the decisions went Kilkenny's way, for example both Mossy Keoghan and Tom Phelan got booked for nothing when the ref bought what Donohoe was selling and TJ was penalized for a chop despite making no contact at a crucial part of the game. These are just some of the incidents that came to mind, there's bound to have been many more for both teams

I wouldn't blame the referee on the loss. When in a great position near the end we ran out of scores Kilkenny got on top and were more composed and clinincal coming down the stretch. There's always a few decisions that could have gone one way or the other but i didnt get the feeling we were robbed anyway.

There were 8/9 steps at least. I wouldn't have a problem with it if he hadn't blown Sutcliffe up a few minutes beforehand for taking 6 steps and giving a free out.

Agree about a couple of our passes leading up to the goal but he wasn't calling them against either side so can't really complain there.

TJ tried to chop the hand, the fact he may have missed doesn't mean it isn't a free, unless I'm missing something?

I don't think all the decorations went Kilkennys way either but for that final 10 minutes it certainly seemed to flow one way more than the other.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable game of hurling and will stand to both teams.

• Advertisement

Dublin playing with a very strong breeze were playing well and 0-7 v 0-3 in front after 15 mins or so but a poor enough goal conceded after sliotar dropped in square by full back and Offaly man buried it and a couple frees and a Screeney point from play our scores have completely dried up and Offaly on top last 10-15 mins. I thought that breeze was worth a few points and we'd need a nice lead at ht but we're two behind and it will be an uphill struggle from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Was that a good shoulder from the Dublin player? It seemed ok but I would have to see it again. He got a yellow for it

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Shoulder was fine, should have been a free out prior

Offaly goalkeeper saves another penalty after he did likewise v Kilkenny in previous game. Dubs playing well against the wind but not eating into the deficit.

Screeney has scored two of the best points you'll see tonight. Apart from being flawless on the frees he's showcasing his natural talent from play.

Stupid foul by full back. Indiscipline Offaly man was going nowhere.

The pivotal moment in this game when Dublin lost all momentum was the mistake by Dublin full back in first half when Dublin were well on top. Offaly were poor enough up until then and when you have a team under pressure you don't give them a gift like that. Unfortunately Dublin were never able to get on top.

Fought hard second half. If the penalty went in might have asked Offaly few questions. It was there for them tonight not much between the teams but it's Offaly's night and they will want to go on win the All Ireland after losing last years final and the minor final to Tipp couple years ago. They seem a team on a mission.

Some crowd at the game. I'd say its bigger than any Leinster senior championship game this year.

Dublin didn't play to the strengths in the first half. Ref gave Offaly a nice platform throughout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭MFPM

Dublin making hard work of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Croke Park is poxy for games like this.

Good work out. Any win against the Rossies is earned. They only hit one wide first half. Impression I got Dublin were playing within themselves. Showed in last few minutes what can do when play at pace. 1st goal particular very good. Quick interchange and movement.

-

Crowd must have been about 10k. Smallest CP crowd I can remember. Apparently foreign sports games had an effect on the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

The mark might have effects on the crowd too. Needs to be binned ASAP.

The difference in atmosphere for the hurling in Parnell Park last week to the football this week. Can honestly see why people don’t want to go to Croke Park before a quarter final.
    Would give anything to see us back in Parnell Park again. More crowds like today might do the trick.

Was talk of a 25k stadium being built. But DCB thought it was not financially sensible.

A full Parnell under lights is great though.
    It is more likely Dublin will be playing Leinster games in Tullamore/Portlaoise in future.

the gonshites should have played the game tomorrow. The FA cup and Rugby final weee both on and with the best will in the world today’s game was never gonna compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

anywhere but Croker. Love the place when theres 60k inside of it. But absolutely dead when theres less that 40k

25k in Dublin would be absolutely brilliant.

Could Parnell be redeveloped?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Never mind the foreign sports. Full round of club games on this evening in Dublin. Nonsensical.

Probably not on development of Parnell otherwise would have heard it mentioned.

But you are right about attendance CP needs 60k for atmosphere.
    Was odd today for most of it crowd was talking in a low murmur.

Is Ger Brennan a shoe in if/when Dublin job available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Who cares anyway. Dublin the best team ever and only a few thousand fans turn up to watch them at home. The sport is finished as a county the people of Meath are better off focusing on Soccer, rugby, hurling etc.

Advertisement