Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@gw80 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There are peaceful protests every week in Dublin city centre. They don't result in people being arrested. There is obviously no issue with people protesting.

There is an issue when they break the law, which is why they are arrested.

Protest peacefully, no issue. Break the law, arrests. It's not rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Collaborators ?! Lol 🤣

Word taken from those collaborating with a nazi regime in WW2 ..don't think your average person who disagrees with anti immigration rallies and protests can reasonably be associated with people secretly supporting a nazi regime , now can they ?

Unless you have more information than I have and are afraid to say ?

And " a tyrannical state " .? .come on ;)

If that were true , all those on here would be afraid to post for fear the Secret Police would track them down and have them locked up !

Don't think a lot of these so called 'paaatriots ' on those protests could stand up to defend their own families if they were asked to , never mind their communities , many of whom are not happy to be associated with them .

As regards families though , notice many of the most active campaigners/ citizen journalists are not people with families , other halves, children .In fact nothing to defend or look out for apart from themselves and their video blogs .

All they are defending is their perceived "right " to shout and hurl abuse and to insult people .

As for a" strongly worded letter " , when many of the eejits screeching and videoing themselves are forgotten , that letter is still there for posterity to be referred to ..so don't underestimate it .

But really :) discussing posters as collaborators 'changing their username .' .

Have the courage of your convictions there, packrat , and stop hiding behind the keyboard ...Who are you referring to ?

Otherwise you cannot accuse others of any cowardly behaviour .

What I said was ..

"Many will decide on candidates for GE based on more than just immigration though unless they are stupid ."

This is true .

Only people who cannot see beyond their nose or very immature people would consider voting in a GE which will affect their lives for the next 4/5 years without considering all the issues at stake .

And the personal remark is unnecessary and immature @dmakc .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 joeymcg

What's the latest with the Coolock Crown paints site ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

By default, IPA immigration is implicit in the housing crisis, the wreckless squandering of tax payers money, negatively affecting GP waiting lists and decimating tourism.

People who label others that vote based on this issue "stupid", to be kind, lack wisdom, perspective and foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

"Only people who cannot see beyond their nose or very immature people would consider voting in a GE which will affect their lives for the next 4/5 years without considering all the issues at stake"

Naw, totally disagree here. the incumbents have warped the notion of any semblance of nationhood and practically shredded the social contract. Those purported to be waiting in the wings to take power would make the current crowd in power look like mere alter boys.

I'm cashing out, enough of the current BS. I'd vote actual nazis in at this stage, I don't give two continental hoots for it. They literally cannot be any worse. Five years ago I'd punch myself in the face for contemplating it, but here we are. To those with all those warm fuzzy feelings of #IrelandForAll and other such claptrap, well done. Take a bow, you've created this through gross incompetence and a shocking false sense of moral superiority.

The amazing fall from grace of the Irish Catholic Church should have served as a warning, not a manual. At least the Catholic Church lasted a few hundred years, liberal-progressive Ireland is barely a decade old and look at how it has already turned to crap. Slow clap for yeas.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Claiming asylum is not an imprisonable offence.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its really not. Did you read the housing commission report?

It really is, and I wont waste time on simple school economics here as I honestly have no interest in engaging with you.

• Advertisement

People who label others that vote based on this issue "stupid", to be kind, lack wisdom, perspective and foresight."

So that does not apply to me .

If that is what their decision process brings them to , then it is not stupid .

Because as I said in my post they are considering the issues . Not just one .

One issue voting only works for very localised issues like Mica for instance .

One issue voting on a national issue got us the likes of Clare Daly, Mick Wallace et al .

And btw I do not class McNamara in that group of one issue voters as you suggest . He is very smart and straight and will do well in Europe .

so you cannot debate an actual independent study on housing in Ireland. c

if you know more about the independent body that undertook the study for the last 2 years, why wouldn't you share it?

Oh I could absolutely debate it in two ways; one being simple economics which I'm not bothered to waste time with (given it's yourself), and the other I'd receive a warning for anecdotal evidence on the housing of IPAs.

So you can go annoy someone else for tonight thank you 👋

It's simple enough really, immigration is not one issue given that it's intrinsically linked to so many other key issues.

Therefore no one who votes on it can be branded as "stupid". That derogatory viewpoint is something you might need to work on yourself.

"Are you talking to me ? Are you ..talking ..to ..me ?! "

Why are you quoting me and blaming me for the situation in the country?

I get it you are angry but you could at least attempt to be reasonable..

Boards and its posters do not influence politics or decisions made by governments.

It is merely a discussion forum .

I am hoping you were only referring to my post and not blaming me for the state of the nation .

So you don't agree about people voting for single issue candidates , and as I have pointed out I do not agree with single issue voting except on local issues.

We will agree then to disagree, but don't blame me or others for having our opinions and expressing them on a discussion forum .

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

So, according to you if it written in legislation the person be they refugee or otherwise should oblige.

If everyone were of your view there would have been no public push back against apartheid. Nelson Mandela should have just done what the police directed him to do.

Anyone protesting that might contravene existing legislation, e.g. disturbing the peace, should move on if directed by the Gardai.

So you cannot debate anything to do with the independent housing commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's greatly overstating the issue : many parts of the country have been largely unimpacted by the asylum / emergency accommodation question. For every Fermoy or Ballinrobe or Roscrea, there must be dozens of Irish towns where there have been no protests or any type of upheaval around the issue of accommodation of asylum seekers. Some counties only have a couple of hundred asylum seekers in the entire county.

According to me?

Nope. According to the laws of the land, An Garda Siochana can only do what they are entitled to do, by law. Do you think gardai should be able to break the law?

I'm saying that I've categoric evidence linking IPA immigration to the housing crisis, but this is the third time letting you know in as kind a way as possible this time, that I do not want to waste time engaging with you. And I'm not the only one here.

Now please, don't reply to me again. This childish last word act you insist on shall fall on deaf ears tonight :)

• Advertisement

Ah the old putting the fingers in the ears and humming routine!

If you have catagororic evidence linking IPAs to the housing crisis, then I'm sure the independent body that undertook the study on housing for the last two years, would back you up. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Our history is a history of people who didn't obey directions or the rulers.

You're the one explicitly saying that people should do as directed by the Gardai. There have been many instances where people did the opposite such as protesting US troops in Shannon airport, nell McCafferty and the condom train, Catholic emancipation, shell to sea, etc.

According to you, everyone should just do as directed by the Gardai. The elderly protestor flattened was at fault because they should have obeyed Garda direction.

In general I respect and comply with the Gardai but know they are human and reserve the right to resist a Garda direction. I disagree with your authoritarianism.

Taxes for IPAs aren't exclusive to Fermoy, Ballinrobe or Roscrea.

That aside, "I'm alright Jack" is a naive line of thinking considering the government have been playing spin the globe* on IPA locations thus far.

*if lands on affluent area, spin again.

So everyone has a problem with their attitude but not you !

I replied to you 3 times on this and 3 times you have chosen to misconstrue what I have very patiently (and kinder than you , it is apparent ) tried to tell you that we did in fact agree on this point . .

"If that is what their decision process brings them to , then it is not stupid .

Because as I said in my post they are considering the issues . "

This above was my considered reply to you .

You however choose to answer rudely and aggressively to me and others as quoted above .

If you want the last word you can have it but do not misquote me again !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Co. Kilkenny has 150 asylum seekers, Longford has 144, Cavan 160, Carlow 180 (2024 figures). This idea that the entire nation is going to be voting in two weeks time primarily on the asylum issue and nothing else is surely being very optimistic on the part of the right wing / conservative bloc.

You're misunderstanding me, I was still referring to your quote below where you addressed a collection of voters in a derogatory fashion.

Do you maintain, given immigration is now interwoven into a collection of issues, that people who vote based on are "stupid"?

Many will decide on candidates for GE based on more than just immigration though unless they are stupid

See screenshot.

Also, don't see what counties and numbers does to address my point about where our taxes are being squandered?

No, I'm not the only one saying people shou!d do as gardai direct.

People should do as gardai direct, as allowed by law. If they don't, they they are committing an offence. You can disagree with me all you want, but if you disagree with a lawful demand from gardai, you are committing an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Repro212

It's unbelievable what's happening in Ireland, or more accurately what's happening to Ireland. It's treason pure and simple.

• Advertisement

Advertisement