Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner permit bike categorys

Options
  • 24-05-2024 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi guys,so have sold my car,I am now going to try go back to a scooter 125 cc I hav been driving a car,so I have 0 ncb an a bike,I have car learner permit,my question is,does anybody know if I do a ibt course for basic Training,will I be able to skip am moped category and go straight to a1 category,which is a faster scooter,or do I have to complete am category first ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You don't need to do the AM first, and the training is the same 16 hours for both the AM and A1 just on different bikes for the on bike part. The higher A2 and A are a different set of modules and longer.

I've never seen any IBT instructor who had a 125cc scooter for lessons but that's doesn't mean they're aren't any so I'd say they'd probably have you on a 125cc bike. Where ever you find to do them ask first.

If you want a larger scooter there's larger ones that 125cc, might be better off going for A2. guessing by the account age you're old enough to do the A2 (18). There's a lot of 300cc and 400cc scooters

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

You'll find it hard to find IBT that has scooters, scooters are extremely unpopular in Ireland vs Europe where they're everywhere.

You will most likely find manual bikes like the Suzuki GN125 which is a really nice bike to ride, I started out on this on the IBT and I loved it.

If however you can get the A2 license I highly recommend this because 35 Kw is a lot more power, I'm on a T-Max 500 cc and it's a lot of fun and considering using this to pass the A2 test despite having originally planned getting the A license, in reality the T-Max 500 has more than enough power.

Once you pass A2 test you can ride anything up to 35 Kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 dub drifter

dats cool mate,was hoping I didn't have to do them both,yeah I think Airport school of motoring are advertising for a1 125,but your rite,there may not be many,carol nash said dy will insure me

would like to get a real bike mate,at sum stage,next year, I think maybe for nw just,the scooter would be more suited,as been abw 15 year since I had a any kind of bike lol I can go an decent bikes,grew up,getting shots of my mates,dy wud hav,cbr 250,nsr 125,ninja 400,ye am 43,old,so ye ur half rite,I shud hav done all dis by now 😂

I'm on a T-Max 500, great fun !

• Advertisement

I seen ur bike there,its a nice machine,4 stroke,can you tell me this,is a 180cc sp gilera runner stil dwn as a1 category ? I had this bike before,2 stroke,just got a decent quote off carol nash

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

Give Paul at Jenkins school of motoring a shout, he had a 125 scooter amongst his school bikes when I was out with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

I am afraid not, a 180cc is an A2 bike. A category A1 vehicle is defined as a motorcycle without a sidecar, with a cylinder capacity of at least 115 cc but not exceeding 125 cc, that is capable of a speed of at least 90 km/h. It has an engine power not exceeding 11kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.1kW/kg.

Ah rite I see man,so do I have to complete a1 first before I can do a2 category ? i have learner permit,43 years

Ment to say learner permit 20 year,age43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭teediddlyeye

You're 43? Just go straight for the A and be done with everything.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

if you are old enough (and you are!!) go for a full A bike licence. You’re wasting money going the progressive route.

Ah yeah I know wat yez are saying lads,im sure that ur probly an bikes every day, put but like I havnt drove clutch bikes in abw 15 year,would never pass rite nw,never ended getting the full licence for a car,that's why I was thinking just build it up an the bike categorys

I’d never ridden a bike until 3 years ago. Saying you haven’t ridden a clutch bike in 15 years isn’t a logical argument.

An IBT instructor won’t sign you off unless you’re safe to be on the roads. If they need you to repeat modules of your IBT, they will.

Yeah I understand bro,it's All safety nw,and that's fair enough,I don't mess around,so hope I pass it,can you tell me,do I have to complete a1 category first,or can I do a2 ibt straight away,

you can go for full A IBT. At the age you are at you don’t need to go progressive route.

So Is that full A for like manual clutch bikes,or is it like up to them 300, 500 T max,that type of bike mate

Full A licence is any bike out there.

Yeah so I would have to pass it an a manual bike,tell me this man,can I just go and the a2 ibt

I’m not sure you’re understanding me. At the age you are at you qualify for a full A class provisional licence. As in any bike at all. Manual, Automatic, A1, A2, whatever you want.

• Advertisement

Any of yez recommend rider coach.ie ?? he's supposed to be based near me blanch lads,it would be handy to do my ibt t

Deleted

You can do an A2 IBT yes.

I'm on a T-Max 500 which is near the limit of A2 and it's plenty fast for more normal people who just want to ride and have fun.

I did the A IBT however and got the T-Max for learning and the auto is handy for junctions and roundabouts but having done the A IBT I might now try find a bike for the A test because I would like to be familiar with the bike for test. The T-max 500 is a lot of fun.

I don't really don't like sport bikes or find them comfortable and don't like the rear foot position so if anyone knows an A compatible cruiser please let me know, they are hard to find. I'd like an A compatible Rebel but the 500 is only A2 and the 1100 is very expensive and might even be a bit too fast. I'm looking for something more tame.

I sat on a Kawasaki Z650rs in Bike world the other day and found it a really nice fit compared to a CB500 so if someone knows something similar to that either but a bit more tame let me know.

I did the A IBT last August so I need to get something fast and learn on that and get lessons and pass test before August 2025 or I'll be made do the IBT again.

It's actually quite ridiculous, I could ride for 2 years not pass test and be made retake the IBT having a lot of experience and you can pass the IBT and have no experience and go out and ride a ridiculously powerful bike, the whole thing is messed up !

Under standing ye fully,just making sure that I can just go to a ibt instructor,show him my learner permit and do the a2 with him,cause I really just want a 180cc or similar,cause I don't even have [ am ]even an my licence lol

Yeah I'm same,I do like sports bikes,may be next year a proper manual bike as for now think go a2 ibt,hope to get the pass,have you ever heard of rider coach.ie,fela is supposed to be good for ibt

Il go for the a2 then mate,then I'll be fully able to get a 180cc,did you ever hear of Rider coach .ie for ibt,I think there near my area,

A2 will allow you ride any bike up to 35 kw.

You can even ride some bigger engine cruisers on A2 license, 750 and maybe some 900cc because they're designed for lots of torque more than speed.

deleted, quote failed to appear.

No never heard of them.

If you can use instructors bike think about going for the A and then yo're sorted for any bike should you change your mind in the future.

If you ride your own bike after IBT and want to use it for the test then 180 cc probably won't be powerful enough, you need 20 Kw minimum and 35 Kw maximum to pass the A2 test, once you pass test you can ride 125 all the way to 35 Kw.

You can use the instructor bike and if doing this you might as well go for the A bike which is 50 Kw minimum.

https://www.rsa.ie/services/learner-drivers/get-qualified/medium-sized-motorcycle---a2#:~:text=A%20category%20A2%20learner%20permit%20allows%20you%20to%20ride%20a,Initial%20Basic%20Training%20(IBT).

• Advertisement

iv booked for nxt week with rider coach.ie for the a2 .he's only in dunshaughlin,seemed like a sound guy,fully rsa approved,yeah wat I meant was that I will be getting a 180 gilera,I had one in my 20s,yeah he has an a2 bike for the ibt with me

Advertisement