Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup final thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

TNT have Jack Willis for forty one (41) tackles. That is absurd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Leinster were genuinely unlucky with that call. It looks as if it's a foot that causes it to roll forward and McCarthy didn't even touch it. Andy McGeady has a clip of it on twitter. 'Knock on' seems to have been a Piardi call from the touchline.

The time McCarthy touched down in the first half looks to have been from a rip instead of a knock on, so that should have stood - caveat being I only saw a replay once.

How unlucky is it to get two misinterpretations from officials in the phase tries are scored in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Lads, you make your own luck. Carley is poor. But with that amount of possession? Seriously?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What's soccer got to do with it? I don't get the idea that you should support your bitterist rivals just because they're from the same country.

If you do then fair enough, but it's not on to tell others who they should or shouldn't support.

I'll support them all to a man when they're wearing green, but not when they're wearing blue. I wouldn't ever come on here or elsewhere and gloat when they lose, but I'm not too upset about it either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If they'd played cup rugby and kicked their points they'd have won the game. Toulouse kicked everything. Leinster went to the corner and got turned over multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Please stop. You are embarrassing yourself at this point.

It was a clear knock-on by the Toulouse player in the first half that at least warranted a penalty kick. Just because the ball happened to roll backwards into touch from where it landed doesn't negate the fact it went forward off his hand. His hand from his only arm that went for the ball. I have no idea where Carley came up with the regather justification considering the player never had possession of the ball in the first place. For what it's worth the James Lowe knock-on was a stone-cold yellow for me as well.

The VDF no-call for a headlock was one of the most egregious no-calls from a ref/TMO I have ever seen. The Toulouse player clearly had his right arm/forearm around his neck. It happened right in front of Carley and he should have called it. When he missed it his TMO should have come in.

I don't think any of these decisions singularly affected the overall result. I don't think the performance of the referees affected the result either and Leinster truly only have themselves to blame. But to say it wasn't a knock-on by Toulouse and that there was no headlock on VDF is laughable and should be considered a poor effort at trolling at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The reason I mentioned soccer is because that's a soccer thing. It's a new thing, and very sad in rugby. We've always had fierce rivalries but once the game ends we all respect each other. And we'd all support each other against foreign teams.

Its sad to hear people saying they support a foreign team before an Irish one. It's like some of the newer fans come from families where other sports were followed like that and have carried it into rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Nothing sad about it. This happens for all kinds of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I def never supported derry in gaelic football and a good 30% of my extended family live there. Maybe i did carry that into rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

I watched the incident regarding the Toulouse knock on again. It went forward in relation to the player, but not forward towards the opposition line, so it wasn't a knock-on. That said, refs often call any loss of control as a knock-on, so I can see why people would feel aggrieved.

The Lowe incident was unquestionable, though. Stupid play to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭phog

Watched the game knowing the result & having read the match thread. Can Leinster be annoyed with the ref, 💯 but they also need to look at themselves.

I don't know how many times they opened up Toulouse and get into their 22 but to return empty handed.

The knock on (that wasn't) was blown before the try was scored, he absolutely couldn't award the try and to be fair to him, McCarthy dummying the pick & go and then the ball clearly going forward gave the ref a view of a knock on, which he blew.

I saw a few tweets last night

Leinster 16 points from 17 entries to the 22 Toulouse 13 points from 6 entries

Rucks in Opposition 22

Leinster - 34

Toulouse - 4

Toulouse's defense was immense but Leinster squandered possession too, poor passing at times, players over running ball carriers, knock ons, just a lack a attack sharpness that we've grown accustomed to from Leinster.

Dupont got MotM but for it was Willis, he was a tackle machine yesterday.

Final word for Healy, gotta feel for him, losing our again but to be even there after the injuries he's had, what a player, a true & thorough professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

1. Clear arm around JdF neck as he is carried over the line. Peno Leinster.
    2. Ball ripped. McCarthy over the line. Try time.
    3. Sheehan over the ball. Looks at Carley with a 'WTF do u want me to get the JCB out as well' expression on his face.
    4. Very not sure saw a glimpse on replay. Looks like Kinghorne led with a elbow in a dangerous position with Frawley flying in just prior to tls try. TMO
    5. Just before the scrum peno to level in normal time. Ntamack knocks on tries to regather and fails. leinster ruck through. Whilst on the ground Ntamack plays the ball on the ground. Carley only gives scrum. Peno.
    6. Sheehan makes a break. 5 yards from line. As he is falling Dupont has his hands on Sheehans back. Clear tackle assist. Peno.
    7. Intentional or not. Slap or not. 1st half Sheehan pass inside. Peno and possible yellow.

Carley has a lot of questions to answer. Definitely affected the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭html6

Just wanted to add that the Frawley/Kinghorn incident. It looked like Kinghorn lined him up and led with the elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Leinster not having the star power to complete with top teams? Just trash talk tbh. 

Yeah. Toulouse just look faster, stronger and more skilled. Leinster are well coached, well conditioned athletes, but Toulouse are just better rugby players who know how to win big games. Guys like Ross Byrne and Caelan Doris wouldn't even get academy contracts at Toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I'm a Connacht fan, and despise Leinster. Delighted they lost. Made my day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

I tend to 'make my day' on useful purposes. Life is far too short for 'despise' and hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What a sad way to live, despising other teams, but each to their own.

You might think so, but who had the better day yesterday?

This guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I like the honesty.....i find the whole "i want all Irish teams to do well" abit nauseating....

Nothing against the players but I wont lose sleep over Leinster bottling another final...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ruginator

Any time I've been at a Munster match watching Leinster play in a bar beforehand very clear your opinion is aligned to the majority outside of Leinster. This absolute and utter deluded nonsense that we should support Leinster cos their Irish is a joke. I don't see this entitled attitude in any other sport. Leinster are Munsters rivals and I'm absolutely chuffed they got stuffed again yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Looks like sour grapes and 7 reasons to call you a waaahmbulance tbh. Give it up

My day will be great, the but result will go badly I'd expect. We're a bad team at the moment.

This actual bunch of Leinster players aren't too bad to be honest. Don't mind them really. Especially when you compare them to the likes of Heaslip, Luuuuuke, and O'Driscoll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Would you have felt the same if a blue jersey lifted the trophy yestersday?

Is it at all possible that one could go through the game and list instances where Carly didnt ping leinster for things? You can be sure that plenty of liberties were taken with the rules by leinster players but you choose to ignore those.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

A few from yesterday's game, with ball in hand Toulouse stressed Leinster more than the other way round. On a few occasions where the Leinster defense had totally slowed Toulouse attacks to where they were going nowhere Dupont played a brilliant kick to re energize his team.

Larmour regathered a couple of kick chases in a row, which swung momentum Leinster's way, but in the second half of extra time the same type of kicks were being gobbled up by Toulouse, giving them the momentum.

Leinster's continual kick to the corner and maul looked like shocking decision making. Fine, if you kick you're three points you're back receiving in your own 22 and start again, but going to the maul each time? that seemed to double down on daft.

Finally Leinster are looking like a team with a very moderate backline. They score lots of tries throughout the season, but that's generally on the back of forward dominance. They don't appear to have any strike moves anymore. Ross Byrne did some very good things yesterday, but he simply cannot run. Where he is completely lost is in broken play, his ability to turn or adjust his feet is really poor.

Leinster not addressing their outhalf issue for so long is amazing. Sexton was so good to run the ball, with Leinster and Ireland there were pods and shielded passes, links and loops, all the time keeping opposition defenders fixed and stressed, yesterday the two centres running into contract and Leinster struggling to retain possession. A few times Leinster moved the ball across the field they hardly ever looked capable of finding a gap.

I suspect in their post mortem the breakdown and the inability to create quick ball from it will be the biggest issue. When Toulouse slowed stopped Leinster attacks Leinster looked one paced, when Leinster slowed stopped Toulouse attacks Dupont did something special. He really was amazing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement