Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION - 4TH JULY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Rumour mill tonight that all is not well in the Sunak camp….seems like things are kicking off behind the scenes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, he was unable to implement it because he's a privileged imbecile who's never worked a day in his life. People like this think the world is built to favour them and then act surprised when their will alone is insufficient to change things to their liking.

By the way, Sunak and his non-domiciled wife increased their net worth by £120 million in the past 12 months…

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Legal challenges and NGO lobbying? He made up a law to overrule the Supreme Court!

It failed because it was performative nonsense from the start. It was a scheme designed for a photo op, it was never going to actually work. It cost the UK 500m and within the deal they agreed to take as many Rwanda deported as they sent so net impact was always going to be zero.

It was a policy Sunak didn't need to tie himself to. He had plenty of opportunity to sidestep it. He could have put it on the long finger when he became PM. Yes it is important, but getting cost of living down, getting interest rates down, improving the NHS are the real issues. He could have easily led on that.

But even having tied himself to it at the start, the supreme Court ruling gave him another out. He could have parked it claiming a full review would be undertaken in light of the ruling blah blah

But he couldn't see anything but trying to impress the right wing and trying to outdo Reform.

It failed because its an unworkable policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The UK is one of the most centralised countries in the whole world with no formally codified constitution. It's effectively a 650-person dictatorship with no checks or balances. The "But NGOs" is patent nonsense.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Ahwell

He was told be his legal advisers that the latest immigration bill was unlikely to stand up to legal challenges, but he went ahead away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If Sunak was able to send people to Rwanda, he would have. He didn't have some magic overrule.

He couldn't because he was blocked by the courts who strawman-ed the 1951 UN Refugee Convention, something that was signed in a completely different era, to address a completely different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

What would people's opinions be of a possible hung parliament with a DUP / Liberal / Conservative unenvyness outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Good summary. In talking/chatting with a few suppliers I work with in the UK over the last few days, this has been a theory among a few, who wouldn't be talking to each other necessarily.

It's a logical explanation. Doesn't have to resign for the sake of resigning. But call an election and lose. Then it can be a "respectable resignation" after a loss along the lines of

"I've always wanted to put the interests of this great country first. I believe that my party and it's policies, for which I am passionate, are key to making this happen. I gave the British people a democratic choice, for it is they who should decide... And now, the British people have decided, I shall resign as Prime Minister. I have been proud to...and I will always be passionate about what is right for my country, and it's people"

Heads off to previous life, nice to have former Prime Minister on CV/ in the family scrapbook for future generations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

the only logic I can find is “the sooner we lose this one, the sooner we get back in because Starmer has all the charm of a corpse.”

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

getting cost of living down, getting interest rates down, improving the NHS are the real issues. He could have easily led on that.

You know you're talking about the Tories? None of that is in their interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

No Tory PM is ever going to lift a finger to defend the NHS, they hate it, and it's ultimate destruction is going right to plan. The Starmer government will do nothing to reverse the covert privatisation which is driving up costs - they will adopt them as party policy.

Why stake your reputation on a policy which was so obviously flawed and unimplementable, it just highlight the incompetence of an ideologically driven party.

I don't think it's entirely that.

They know they're going to lose. They also know that the SNP have a new leader that nobody has heard of. They also know that Starmer's stance on Gaza has angered many in his party and they know that Reform UK won't have candidates for many, if not most seats. They're particularly scared of Reform UK.

Feel a bit bad for Albania though:

Nice thing for them to do and this is the response they get.

Sunak knows when it'll be before everyone else so he'll be hoping that Labour tear themselves apart making a manifesto so quickly while shoring up what he can against the Liberal Democrats and Reform UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sunak going into crisis mode today. This election 'plan' has belly flopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

He presumably needed a "duvet day" after the week he's had.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-69037424

His chances of survival stood at just 5%. The NHS saved his life.

Like his new legs, his hands were originally provided by the NHS, but he
    has since gone outside the NHS for new hands, likening the original
    prosthetic hands he was given to "something out of medieval times".

One joke that reflects the cuts imposed by this government, is that he'll be disappointed when looses his seat and finds out he doesn't qualify for disability.

That's its job though? The religious obsession with the NHS completely blocks any sensible conversation about a healthcare system that is unique in Europe and seems to be falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

It's effectively a 650-person dictatorship with no checks or balances.

Do you hope that Labour wins this election?

Because if you do, then it calls into question what you would consider that future parliament to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Labour say they will lower the voting age to 16 after they win the election.

This is clearly the type of change that should be decided by a referendum as it obviously any changes to electoral laws will be exploited by the government of the day to help increase their vote.

Labour only want this change because it will help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,364 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I suggest asking Labour to apply a written constitution to UK laws and Parliament, then you can demand a referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Sunak proposing the return of national service is a plot twist I didn't see coming.

Any details of costings or how it would be implemented? Are we going to see UK border officials having to stop young people as they leave GB to interrogate them over their national service status?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A lot of people aren't "enthusiastic" about the current Labour Party because they have absolutely no idea what it is they stand for or what their principles are. They are a blank slate, who are only within a sniff of power because the current Conservative Party are the most horrific iteration of that organisation since the days of Margaret Thatcher and have led Britain into the truly awful situation they presently experience.

But Starmer's "Labour" is an unknown quantity that people are only willing to have a punt on because the Tories have to be eliminated as thoroughly as possible. Which, ironically, is something that some Tories seem to be in favour of, as well, as evidenced by them calling for an election in just over a month's time with the sure knowledge that they will be decimated. Conservative leadership "logic" here seems to be just get it over with.

This thing is, British politics is in a really weird crossroads at present, where they have a situation that a lot of people have finally woken up to the absolute cretinous shambles that the Conservatives are, but the only option open to them is to vote for a party whose only shining attribute is "we're not the Tories".

It's no wonder there a lack of enthusiasm.

It's electoral gerrymandering and like all gerrymandering, it should be held in contempt.

There is no constitution so no need for such a referendum.

This is just a way to appeal to the nostalgia oldy crowd. Will come to nothing even if they did win.

The Tories have been gerrymandering boundaries for generations giving them an implicit advantage, and then there was the wheeze to insist on photo ID to vote ( a policy designed to undermine a left leaning younger vote). So forgive me for been unmoved if Labour try to rebalance the books a little.

"Generations"; the Tories must be pretty bad at it then if they're about to lose the upcoming election in a landslide.

And second to that, two wrongs don't make a right (even if I grant you that assumption, which I don't).

The voting age should be lowered. If 16 year olds can join the army, they should be able to vote.

• Advertisement

Thats because they impoverished the country. It took a long time for people to escape from their Stockholm syndrome.

I actually don't see much wrong with allowing 16 year olds to vote. The country has been schewed so far to the over 60s in demographics that it has had a very negative impact on the under 30s who have been disadvantaged in just about every policy decision over the last 30 years. Time to rebalance to favour the people who actually have to keep the country ticking over rather than those who are waiting to die and penny pinching all the way to the grave.

Advertisement