Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭combat14

it sure is ..

anyone who is a genuine rapidly assessed refugee is welcome to stay if we have a spare tent to put them in and a safe plot of ground with toilets

anyone who is not a genuine refugee can apply through proper channels for skilled economic migrant status and pay their own way IF we as state decide to let them in given our current dire housing crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

By the way, I'm not dismissing the asylum emergency accommodation question as a serious issue. It is a major concern and something people are worried about. But it is still a very big leap to say that it will dominate the European and local elections or will cost the Dáil parties a huge amount of votes. There's lots of other stuff going on in the country and factors that will impact how people vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Time will tell, I suppose.

Everyone knows at this point that the Irish people are seriously concerned/angry about the levels of inward migration.

It's also safe to state that the existing housing crises is being exacerbated by greater demand not being met with adequate supply.

In my own case, I will certainly base my voting preference primarily on migration.

There are two perfectly logical reasons for this.

1: I'm already disappointed in the performance - or lack thereof - of my local councillors.

Hence, I would have been looking for an alternative anyway.

I believe local elections are an excellent way of showing dissatisfaction with existing political parties. After all, if said parties weren't supported by their councillors, those councillors wouldn't run on a party platform.

Mass immigration is exacerbating the many challenges this country is already facing. We can't afford it, and many people don't want it at the current levels. Accordingly, this is an excellent time to deliver a message to the political parties. They need to listen to the people, and they need to do better for the people - the Irish people, whom they are actually elected to represent.

2. Re. EU elections.

Again, I've been checking the stats on questions asked in Europe about Ireland by our MEPs.

To say their performance was less than satisfactory is a major understatement.

Again, I'm looking for an alternative.

It seems to me that the EU, generally speaking, looks with disfavour on any Country that doesn't embrace refugees wholeheartedly.

Again, these people were not elected to represent Abdullah, Muhammed, or whoever from all corners of the world where that representation puts the people who voted for them at a disadvantage.

That message also needs to be delivered.

I hope it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Resources scare resourses. Considering from a green perspective we're trying to conserve. Its funny the absolute gall of western governments considering increase in western population consumption with massive migration inflow alongside trying to brainwash their peoples into this iffy green mindset also. The 2 dont work in tandem whatsoever

The only thing they create is more wealth for elite sections of society.

Also consider recent tensions over tiawan. The world economy could be a very different place with china placed in the bold corner like russia or worse.

New cashcow comes to mind for our betters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Hahahaha .. yep, true to form .. on the eve of an election.

What about simon harris' - " .. expect 13-16 000 "refugees" per year, indefinitely although I know there is no place to put them .."

.. isn't that more newsworthy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

If you can copy and locate the script perhaps you should also try reviewing it

I made no such reference to illegal entry into the state versus being invited and please don't try this derrisary tactic again

You clearly have not read the base legislation or any of it's sections or subsections.

Starting with the latter the protests are the consequences of illegal entry into the state

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

I think I remember this case. The girl videoed part of the assault and him getting off the bus.

Quite the name he has as well.

His mug plastered all over the paper. I hope it is screenshot and sent back to India (I presume that is where he's from)

He should be mortified.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Please quote the relevant statutory instrument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭creeper1

True to form perhaps the world's most lenient judiciary hands out a lenient sentence.

It's a waste of time the girl are her family even complaining.

Ironically this guy's one of the genuine engineers.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-sexually-assaulted-girl-14-on-bus-is-given-suspended-jail-sentence/a2120227759.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,627 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sindo front page. The article smacks of government desperation in election-mode, akin a press release from spindoctors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

June the 7th it is essential to not vote for any established party candidates. Barry Cowen, Sean Kelly Barry Andrew’s etc let them know the same will follow in the general election if this is not dealt with as the crisis it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭chooey

so you think we should let unidentified people arrive and just be let lose to travel around the county wherever they want?

A detention centre should def be required if someone is arriving to the country to claim asylum. They can be given a bed, food and other necessities that is needed while their claim is being assessed. If you are a genuine AS, fleeing for your life, would you not be happy to have this provided when arriving to a safe country?

While I acknowledge that we need to keep genuine AS’s safe, we also need to keep the people safe in the country that they’re arriving at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

we are seeing fragmentation now the Dutch, Danes etc going it alone. Belgiums tougher stance on lone mails gaming the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deport all the Irish from all over the world then

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ionraice

Tourists tend to arrive with identification. Frequently, with multiple forms of identification. Passports, driving licences, insurance certificates for car rental purposes, etc.

They can be traced if they engage in undesirable/illegal activity.

Yer man who claims to be from Country A, who really left Country B, "without" a passport, because they had to "flee" up to several Countries where there were no wars - not so much.

Sure, isn't that why we can't send them back....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Don't think the Irish are ripping up passports / claiming asylum but deflect away. Conflation is key

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Do you mean the tourists who arrive here with their passports and ID cards and enough money to sustain themselves ?
    Or are there tourists who waltz in with no ID and ask for free board and lodging while they wander freely and have a little holiday here ?

• Advertisement

I see your man from the Lighthouse cafe said he is handing out tents and sleeping bags . Who is supporting him to do this knowing full well they will be scooped up and dumped in landfill three days later ?

So sick of the deflection. Irish people are not losing documents on flights. They are not claiming asylum when arriving to a country and expecting accommodation for free along with a medical card and cash. They are either tourists paying their own way or working. The large majority have no issue with immigrants coming here legally to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, I understand the legislation completely.

I doubt that the hospitals in Australia would agree with you . Or the ICU’s and Paeds wards in Dubai would agree . Or indeed the big building sites in Canada

Where Irish with ID work and pay tax and often keep everything running smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Packrat

It's all they have left.

They've had their arses handed to them repeatedly on this and the other favourites - lies, conflation, and mental gymnastics in descriptive language are all that remains.

Post edited by Packrat on

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?

It's up to people to decide what to do and sometimes people decide to break the law if the government has become irrational, prejudicial etc.

The 1916 rising was treason but the rebels fought for freedom anyway and many were executed in Kilmainham gaol.

Your moral high ground and demonizing of the current protesters is similar to how the Irish were described in daily papers by British journalists.

I know decent people from Newtown mount Kennedy, they're not involved in the protests but at the same time they're not very happy about the new asylum. To sneer and punch down on protesters because they are different to you is despicable and divisive. I suggest you get out sometime and go for a walk in the real world.

When it's okay for a Garda to walk about 20m over to an old man with his small dog and knock him to the ground in front of people, there is something wrong. This is coming from someone whose father was a Garda and could not imagine such actions from him. I'm taking a break from you, I hope you don't mind, but for my own mental health I need a break from your moralizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Bit ott there poster. I pointed out how, if someone breaks the law, there are consequences. Which is fact. People can decide to break the law all they want, but they must be prepared to face the consequences.

If someone engages in peaceful protests, as hundreds sometimes thousands do in Dublin every week, then they are not arrested or removed.

Clearly those at ballyogan committed offences and are now before the courts. They decided to break the law, now they face the consequences. Their decision.

Thats what the real world is.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What tourist arrives vetted?

How come nobody complains about unvetted tourists?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

He was awarded " Humanitarian of the year" recently, by the Irish Red Cross, they are probably one of his sources for tents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

Funny you should say that because lately I've been thinking that over-tourism has parallels with over-immigration.

Over-tourism stretches resources, reduces physical space for the host nation/city, bulks up the money supply (which can affect e.g. food prices for locals) and you see lots of complaints and sometimes even prohibitive legislation now in places like Venice, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Amsterdam.

But it hasn't (yet) occurred to anyone to throw around accusations of racism against people complaining about overtourism.

Yet in fact the problem is effectively one of too many foreigners unbalancing the local physical and economic ecosystem. And since there is no taboo against complaining about overtourism, ordinary people do complain and quite vociferously in many cases.

Advertisement