Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Car For Sister

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭User1998

Not at all. Japanese hybrids are the most reliable cars on the road. Theres a reason all the taxi drivers use them. Way more reliable than anything that has been posted here. Just tell her the tax is only €170 and the fuel consumption is better than diesel around town, she might go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

Yeah they're a reliable car but if something went wrong she might have quite costly repairs + it being off the road a long time. I don't know, I'll mention it to her and see what she says but she's not keen on Hybrid or EV to begin with.

My prius was mostly reliable, a MK II sold it with just over 200,000 Kms, not mega mileage, there were some recalls and it had suspension issues but that can happen any car. The paint on it was very thin and again, that CVT box………..4

It will be interesting to hear what she has to say though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,366 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The Mercedes A Class has a Renault 1.5 diesel engine, 70 mpg, and very reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if I was going French I’d look at something with a 1.5 dci engine. I don’t think she needs a diesel either but if she’s set on it, a Euro 5 1.5 dci is as safe bet as you can get in a modernish diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I reckon a VW ID3 would be perfect for her. Lots going cheap from poor sods who got mired in the PCP hamster wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭_H80_GHT

We don't allow the women in our house to buy their own cars as this would be such a typical thing for them to do. Saved us and them mountains of headaches (and money).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

As above the 1.5dci is a decent bet.

1.4d4d auris or Yaris be worth a look too. They're pretty good at avoiding hassle with emissions stuff.

Thanks, yeah I've told her already the 1.5 DCi is a good engine but she has my head fried, she had loads of time to have had shortlisted some cars I had sent her links to loads to short list to view today, told her I'd drive her on account of not having a car as her old 308 Diesel is knackered. Told her last night have a list ready and we'd go have a look.

today arrives and no shortlist, told her to pick out 3 cars, but she ends up going to some local dealers not even knowing what they had and surprise surprise, nothing within her budget.

Sisters are nuts !

• Advertisement

Sometimes its better to just step back and watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hotrodder

I have a 231 Corolla and it a great car. Previous car was a diesel Corolla and was bullet proof

yep, you're right, no more input from me, if she askes me to look at some cars i will, that's about it.

yeah good cars alright, i haven't noticed them though in the searches, might narrow the filter down to just carolla and see what comes up.

edit

Actually I know now, I was searching hatchback, she said she didn't want saloon……

for smaller budget you’d need to include Auris in your search filters.

yep she

Yep, she was looking at auris but most of them were big mileage in Dublin/Kildare/carlow area she's looking.

Had a look at 3 cars yesterday with my Sister.

The 1st was a 1.4 Diesel Auris 164,000 Kms 2013, he said he'd let it go for 8k, test drove it, seemed fine could tell it had a hard enough life due to the interior and there was a nasty smell of cigarette smoke so that was a no for sure.

Test drove a 2nd Auris, 102,000 Kms 2013 1.4 diesel, it was in much better condition, 1 owner. NCT up in October but said he would run it through himself in October and will put it in writing, he was offering 6 month warranty or 10,000 kms which I though was quite reasonable. Sis likes it, I told her if she wants a diesel it's probably the best she'll find locally, between Carlow and Nass probably.

He has it down for 11,500 but said he'd let it go for 10,500 because he admitted it won't sell as everyone now seems to want the PCP on a new car.

She was concerned about the mileage because it will be her first car in Kms lol, I told her it's only around 63,000 miles, nothing on a Toyota diesel.

I'd be expecting to pay 8,000 for an 11 year old car but those days are gone due to Brexit and most dealers are taking the p1ss with 2nd hand prices, Carlow is a mental rip off for 2nd hand cars and they have so many they can't sell because they are far too expensive.

We also had a look at a megane , sh1t box and clutch was gone lol.

I have to do the car check yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Let her off to buy herself, you can't be blamed if anything goes wrong, whoch ianqjat it sounds like will be the case.

€10,500 for an 11 year old diesel Auris? You can buy them privately for half that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

OP…show her this thread…plenty knowledgeable strangers on the internet with no axe to grind…maybe she'll take a hint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Young one in work bought a 2014 Focus recently for under 6 grand I think, 1.6 diesel. Not massive spec or anything but it's a good straight car with about 140k Kms.

The talk of 11.5k for 10 year olds is madness.

I tried to get her to buy private but she thinks that's dodgy lol.

To be honest, won't find much cheaper, there's 8500 and 9500 on donedeal, 2 cars and that's it, with around 80,000 kms, maybe she'll get it for 9500 and she can put the car through the NCT herself lol.

You know what really bugs me on donedeal and it's happening a lot more now. People putting in 160 instead of 160,000 to get passed the filters, bugs the sh1t out of me.

Set the minimum mileage to 1,000km and that will sort it

Update

I found a lovely 1.6 Diesel i30 for the Sister, 60,000 miles, u.k import, was in the u.k 2 years before finding it's way over here and it was in excellent condition inside and out, cracking car, drives really well and it's a 2015, around 100 euro shy of 10k.

i saw the add on carzone over the weekend, did the car check, went to look at it myself and put a deposit on it, sister went to look at it that saturday and loved it.

this is around 2 weeks ago so it was going on that long, she had my head melted.

there's some cracking cars out there though petrol she wouldn't look at, a lovely fabia 1.2 tsi for 6 K she didn't really like it.

have to say, i'll never pay more than 10-12 k for a car myself ever again, i bought 3 electric cars on PcP from 2015 and finished that when I gave the last Ev back to the finance company under the half rule, never again will I pay so much for a car, any car, the amount of tax alone is shocking, then all the modern tech that i couldn't be bothered with that i wish was optional isn't so they can justify the high cost, there's no money in making cheap cars which is why they want to make only expensive high tech suv.

Advertisement