Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disagreeing with aon result

Options
  • 25-05-2024 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My nearly 9 yo son has always struggled in certain settings

We have been flagged to school every year about his temperment this has gotten worse each year,

He Tends to keep to himself but his behavour has gotten worse over the years he would just be triggered by the simplest of things, which would cause a blow up,

We try to talk to him afterwards he says he cant help it he just cant control hes feelings

We tried discipline he accepts the punishment but just doesnt learn from it

take hes games away for 2 days he accepts it and wont ask for the games during the ban period will get it back and then something same issue as caused the game to be removed will happen again the next day.

The school and ourselves have really struggled with him over the past few years,

We have simular issues at home with behavour at times but we manage this suitations as best we can

He was refered to luchina house who completed a adhd assigsment in 2022,

They felt he was hitting markers of adhd but not enough for a diagnosis

They refered us to the aon office to complete a full assessment of needs on our son,

Fast forward to last month we only got the results from a private company contracted by the hse to complete the assigsment and they say he was borderline but just below the marker for a diagnois of autiusm

Scored a 6 in one section and 7 is needed to be above the marker,

We have read the report and feel it is incorrect as a number of key areas they claim he doesnt meet the criteria when clearly he does in our mind in certain sections,

in one section it even mentions another childs name instead of our sons so feel this is a copy/paste effort in some sections,

They feel he has dcd dyspraxia which needs to be manged,

Our sons school now have reverted back to the code of conduct for behavour as they feel there can be no allowance for hes behavour,

In the past 2 weeks he has recived 4 refection sheets against him for not following instruction of the teacher,

If he gets 6 in a month he will be supended and after 10 we are looking at expulsion,

We are looking at moving school now as we feel they are trying to remove our son from there school,

Has anyone any experience of appealing the aon

Am also considering paying for a 2nd opinion but 3 places ive enquired with are not taking on new cases at the moment,

Had a meeting with cdnt and they feel that the report is incorrect also and told us we should appeal it.

Dont want to wait another 2 years for a result so think paying would be best

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

What has been put in place to help him manage the dcd/dyspraxia?Is the first question that jumps out at me.Because if the answer is nothing, I think the school are being very unfair in just reverting to a code of conduct with no attempt to support him.

As regards paying for a second diagnosis - I can see your point.Just consider what your options are in the event that the same conclusion is reached.Changing school may be your best approach, not all schools fit all kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭ottolwinner

agree with the above poster. What stage if any of school support has your son? Is he receiving any help from support teachers in the school and is there an IEP in place? Have you seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

I might be wrong about this but I think that once an educational psychology report has been provided by the HSE a privately-sought report cannot supersede it for the purposes of establishing a diagnosis. This might have changed but I remember this coming up in a talk I had to sit through once.

In your place I would instead use the fact that there is another child's name on the report to say that there have clearly been errors and oversights and you have no confidence in the report. Demand another one from the HSE. Mention that you have obviously been given a very confidential report that was meant for another child. The last thing they will want is somebody starting to make noises about sketchy GDPR practices. Tell them you are not going to be put to the back of the queue, you want this sorted quickly. Put everything in emails or record phone conversations. Don't worry too much about being reasonable. Squeaky wheels get the oil.

I see reports all the time and apart from certain parts that are specific to the child they are all essentially copy/paste efforts. Pronouns are often wrong, dates haven't been updated. Entire paragraphs intended to give the impression that the psychologist has really taken the time to get to know the child and has formed insights into their personality are IDENTICAL on numerous reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

The school have being trying there best i have to say they have a part time sna in place to help him have been giving him extra leeway, movement breaks when needed etc,

Based on the report the school have now decided to remove the leeway part from the behaviour and i supect will slowly remove other supports also,

I broached the dcd which has still to be confirmed by the primary care team and get the impression the school didn't really care about it, it was mentioned in the report that computer leaning may be better option but the response was that the school cant givehe that as he may break it in anger if he has a meltdown,

this is part of reason i want to move child now but wont be easy giving complications of our sons needs

We have contacted gp for a referral to get dcd formally confirmed but no doubt this will not be a quick process either,

We had a meeting with cdnt and based on the report given,

we would be removed from there wait list for services as dcd is not a disability under the act and referred back to pct.

CDNT feel this is incorrect and that our son needs intervention with there services and have advised us to appeal the report,

I questioned if you got our own report done would it be recognised by them and the hse,

She said if a report was carried out by another recognised body and it did confim something else it would supercede the first report,

I know another report could come back with the same result but something is telling me there is more than than the first report

Feels like im fighting for something we dont want but need too 😮‍💨

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

"She said if a report was carried out by another recognised body and it did confim something else it would supercede the first report,"

I would double check this. Private diagnoses subsequent to public diagnoses were disregarded because it is widely believed that if you're willing to pay for a diagnosis you'll get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Recognised body basically means the op is allowed to get an independent report but only by persons or groups that are recognised by the hse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd want the HSE report, being honest.As someone else said, there is a belief out there - not widely said, particularly in schools, but said to me by several medical people as I negotiated a similar path - that if you pay for a label you'll get a label in the private places.HazeDoll's advice is good, and lean heavily on GDPR - most places run a mile from any suggestion that they might have broken rules in this area.

I'm no expert on DCD or dyspraxia at all, but to my knowledge an OT could advise?If I was going to go anywhere privately to start with, it would be an OT assessment.Dyspraxia needs classroom support and an OT assessment would likely produce a report with recommendations for this - it would be a starting point.Leave him on the public lists and work through that system too though.

The biggest frustration I have is being the middle man - I wish the OT/psych etc would talk directly to the school because you can be met with scepticism as the parent, which is always hard to take.In many cases this needs to be a collaborative effort with parents and professionals in order to help the child and often schools won't operate like that.I know resources are tight, and I understand all of that, but as a parent it is very hard sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

In your place I would instead use the fact that there is another child's name on the report to say that there have clearly been errors and oversights and you have no confidence in the report.

I also agree in regards to GDPR. Another child's name on the report constitutes a data breach.

Advertisement