Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 a.non.i.mouse

How are they tenants?

You keep posting nonsense comments like this, is that what the laughing emoji is supposed to be for?

Who exactly is their landlord? Who are they paying rent to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The landlord is whoever owns/leases the centre. You don't have to pay rent to be a tenant.

The nonsense is not my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

Im aware of license agreement from the rent a room scheme, basically someone renting a room in your home is classed as a licensee and can be asked to leave at any time, the normal tenant/landlord rules don't apply.

I could be wrong but I would imagine if you ask someone to leave your home and they refuse you can call the gardai for assistance?

If someone refuses to leave a hotel room they no longer have a booking for the gardai would be called.

I would imagine people staying in direct provision accommodation are the same?

A licensee is a person who occupies accommodation under license. Licensees can arise in all sorts of accommodation but most commonly in the following four areas; 

• Persons staying in hotels, guesthouses, hostels, etc;
    • Persons sharing a house/ apartment with its owner e.g. under the ‘rent a room’ scheme or ‘in digs’;
    • Persons occupying accommodation in which the owner is not resident under a formal license arrangement with the owner where the occupants are not entitled to its exclusive use and the owner has continuing access to the accommodation and/or can move around or change the occupants; and 
    • Persons staying in rented accommodation at the invitation of the tenant. 

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

There are however high-profile criminals living abroad.

In general, though, Irish people (whether criminals or not) don't tend to destroy their documents and seek asylum in other countries (it is not feasible), so the analogy doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

I'm just responding to this in case someone believes the above misinformation

I was threatened with a stabbing in front of family members a few years back by a well known drug dealer/ criminal.

lazy and stupid and unmotivated - these words in no way describe the person with whom I had the altercation. The person came from a difficult background and i have some sympathy for him but still reported the incident to the Gardai (nothing happened). Sadly, the person is now a major drug dealer. Maybe if the Gardai had acted he could have been diverted to another path.

If you approach a criminal with the mindset 'lazy and stupid and unmotivated', you might be in for a shock. I'd advise people to disregard this misinformation from @Strazdas

Post edited by engineerws on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

and in all fairness if you read my post I was asking that very question . Who is supporting those who are handing out tents ? Then my guess is Lighthouse is Government funded . Then the Government / Council / Multi agency whoever are paid to dump these brand new tents

Anyone involved including The Lighthouse cafe man ( sorry his name escaped me ) should be questioning why on one hand they are handed out and then destroyed after a few days. If I ran a charity handing out good tents or whatever knowing full well they will be destroyed and dumped I would be questioning why and questioning the sheer waste and burden on the environment .
    Charities need also to be mindful of waste and question this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree but in this situation they don't have a choice .

The problem , yet again is indecision and poor handling by the government , with one party speaking out against another government party .

Whether by ignorance or not it is hypocrisy and a shambles .

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mykrodot

and DO NOT be fooled! On Newstalk and the Brendan O Connor show today the contributors and panelists mentioned "our international obligations"!! It is not going away! Do not be fooled by electioneering!

Again, you are just wrong.

“landlord” means the person for the time being entitled to receive (otherwise than as agent for another person) the rent paid in respect of premises by the tenant thereof.

The landlord is the owner of the property being used for direct provision. The tenant is the state. There is no landlord/tenant relationship between individual IP applicants and the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Exactly and it's why Tiglin/ Ligthouse/ Aubrey and others should be defunded. If they can't use the taxpayers money appropriately, then cut them off.

Great old ding dong 'debate' on This Week at one o'clock earlier. Niall Boylan was taking any crap and got stuck in, landing real blows, making sense and leaving the others in his wake. Aodhán by contrast was like a choirboy. Clare Daly looks to be in deep doo daa, which I suppose is what happens when you lie down with snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Another well used line today was, immigrants will be paying for our pensions so up can continue to retire at 65, and industry needs immigration, no distinction being made between people arriving legally with visas, and illegally with nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I fully agree with the election sentiment.

I'm a little bit suspicious of the whole report of 50 ASs being turfed back to the UK if I'm being honest -

RTE: In the past week 50 people were detected entering the State without the proper visas or documents during garda immigration checks along the border.

The checks were carried out over four days since last Monday, 20 May.

Gardaí said that people found to have entered Ireland illegally and who were refused "leave to land", were returned to the United Kingdom.

Jaysus that was easy wasn't it - So a lad on a bus or train is pulled up by a Guard and asked who he is - The lad says 'I wish to claim international protection in the ROI' and they can just put him on a ferry and wave at him from the pier?

How come the likes of Nick 'the grift' Henderson aren't doing their nut about this abuse of our obligations? Did Nick ring the Govt with a 'wtf' question about this?

I'm smelling a massive rat with this report - When Nick did call the Govt was he told 'Don't worry Nick, it's just a report if you get my drift'

RTE: 'These returns were by ferry from Dublin Port to Holyhead, or to Belfast, depending on individual circumstances.'

Were they indeed. And everyone in Holyhead and Belfast were okay with this were they?

A 45kg mingin rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are definitely lazy. Have you ever heard of a 'hard working' criminal who wants to better himself and is prepared to put in the hours? Most want big bucks for the least hours worked (hence the appeal of the drugs trade, shoplifting, stolen cars, burglaries, muggings, armed robberies and so on).

This idea that criminals would actively want to move to another country and then be stuck in the asylum process for potentially years on €39 a week and with many limitations imposed on them doesn't really stack up.

For sure, there are foreign criminals who end in Irish jails but they represent only a very small percentage of non nationals. We literally have the numbers that around half a million non nationals are in full employment and paying taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

This is the crux of the problem. Its not being highlighted enough. When its mentioned. The response should be" the right type of immigration will contribute partly towards pensions" its not going to make everyone able to retire at 50 either

tenant” means the person for the time being entitled to the occupation of premises and, where the context so admits, includes a person who has ceased to be entitled to that occupation by reason of the termination of his tenancy;

Officials regularly turn people away. Those that claim asylum must be allowed to enter. You state that 50 AS we're turned away, they were not, they were people without the correct visas or documents.

Its right there in your post.

What is your point you're trying to make here?

I stated in my last post that the tenant is the state, not an IP applicant who happens to be allocated to that accommodation.

Crazier than a sack full of asses. Hard to believe they're all adults, shouting and roaring over each other.

• Advertisement

'lazy and stupid and unmotivated' was your original statement.

I suggest you reread my reply and desist with your disinformation which were someone here to believe could lead to adverse outcomes if they underestimated such a person in an adversarial situation..

My point is quite easy to see for anyone that read the post, a tenant is defined in it and it is not just the person who pays the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Most likely tourists or workers then I'd imagine.

Probably working in the UK on a visa but didn't get the right extension to come here.

What a waste of AGS resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

The lengths you lot will go to defending this 'bogus economic migrant' 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If criminals are hard working, intelligent and very motivated, why on earth aren't they working 9-5 and earning €30k-€50k a year like the rest of us? It's an employees' market after all and they wouldn't even need to risk going to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Aodhan gives me weird vibes.

Something off with him.

….

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God it was a tough listen because they kept interrupting Niall and every fecking opportunity. Aodhán was the absolute worse of the lot, this guy is just sums up everything bad about the Labour party and the far left.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tarvis

As said in an earlier contribution the head of Tiglin stated on RTE radio this past week that he was asked to supply tents by the Dept of Integration and they would pay the tab.

Tiglin is a homeless charity and helps the homeless. Why defund an organisation that assists Irish and incomers homeless alike. We have Irish tent dwellers too.

It’s actually another govt entity that is responsible for destroying perfectly serviceable tents paid for by taxpayers. Any chance of some joined up interdepartmental thinking ??

This problem is not going to go away it seems. The use of vacant office space could surely provide tent dwellers with summer and winter shelter, with toilet facilities on site and out of the elements. This going green space to green space is inhuman and will have to end once what we call our summer is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

Aodhan does not believe one word coming out of his own mouth. He has no integrity. That is the reason he is so nasty and aggressive all the time.

Advertisement