Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could be 3 Munster teams in the All Ireland Semi Finals with a rematch between Limerick and Cork (if Limerick win Munster and Cork go through)

Hard to call a AI winner, Clare to beat Limerick in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Rosita

Actually (obviously it's the wrong thing to say but) I'm not especially concerned about Carlow. They could go back to the Joe McDonagh and would not annihilate all others. More talking about the bottom Munster team which as years go by will vary and will be every county eventually.

But anyway it's not beyond the GAA to add an extra team if necessary. The Five Nations added Italy without relegation anyway and France years before that too when they demonstrated they had improved. And nobody stopped trying because there wasn't "jeopardy". But we don't necessarily have to be bound by what a rugby competition has done (I just gave it as an example of a competition which does not relegate teams. A bit of imagination would get around it.

People are often on here looking for the bottom Munster team to be relegated more or less to take Munster down a peg but it'd lead to a farcical Joe McD Cup the following season. Someone will always have to be bottom in Munster. Doesn't mean they are not still among the better teams overall. Tipperary drew with Waterford who beat Cork who beat Limerick. Let's not be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭King Power Fox

Falling nicely for Cork now. Barring a shock should make a semifinal at least. Serious contender now - when your luck is in it can take you a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Rosita

That's Cork in an AI semi final anyway. They'll hammer the Joe McD team and Dublin. They'd beat Kilkenny in the semi final too but that'll probably be avoided unless Wexford beat Clare which could happen as Clare are unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yes it has really opened up for Cork. I'd say they're quietly (if that's possible for a Cork man) confident now of going really deep and by deep i mean winning the All Ireland. It's very possible now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭supermans ghost

Serious question, are you trolling with that statement, or are you that ignorant of the the hurling strongholds in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭kksaints

Not trolling and I'm fully aware of where Hurling is at it's most popular. However in the admittedly unlikely event of a Munster county losing all the matches by large margins for at least two years running do you think it's fair that they'd still have no risk of relegation while the counties in Leinster even the strongholds of Wexford, Galway and Kilkenny could be relegated with one particularly awful year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Canning saying similar to Skehill about it being hard to figure out what Galway's game plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

If Kerry won the Joe McDonagh there would be 6 teams in Munster and 5 in Leinster. Bottom team in Munster would then be relegated the year after with a Leinster team coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

Someone should tell Anthony Daly that Paddy Deegan played midfield today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yeah and that's fair enough but unless Kerry get promoted all the other Munster teams are safe regardless of results and performances.

5 huge game sin hurling tonight and as usual all this thread can do is cry and whinge about championship structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Is it true Michael Donoghoe urged the ref to give David Burke the red card? Quite shocking if so, considering he won an All Ireland with Galway and David Burke was captaining the team at the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don’t really know what your point is. You can easily say the prelim QF is a qualification round for the AI and the JMD teams have to beat the 3rd placed Leinster/Munster team to get in. Just like CL qualification.

FC Apoel have made the CL in the past and they’re much worse than Chelsea. The point being, the CL doesn’t comprise of the best 32 teams in Europe but it’s the pinnacle of football.

The AI series doesn’t have Waterford and has the Joe McDonagh teams. There’s nothing unjust about that. Different qualification routes are normal in football. The prelims don’t necessarily have the best hurling counties in them. There’s nothing wrong with that. Just like the CL, just like lots of competitions in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

It's dog eat dog when it comes to championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭jacool

I doubt it. Too busy teaching the lads to throw the ball to each other. Amazing that wasn't picked up on TSG coverage.

Every county deserves their shot at the AI imo. It’s not really the AI if a handful of teams can’t compete in it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I don't think Henry Shefflin is doing that great a job as manager for Galway, but are the players even there? Galway last won an u21 all Ireland in 2011 after all.

Cork are serious underachievers in both senior codes since 1990, but Galway have only won three senior all Irelands in both codes in the last almost forty years since 1988.

For the second biggest county in Ireland they should be doing better a lot than that. Galway aren't even in double digits when it comes to their all Ireland tally in both men and women's senior codes. They still have more men's senior football all Irelands than everyone else outside of Dublin and Kerry though!

I still don't think Davy Fitz is the right man for the Waterford job. At the end of the day they only won the one championship game and it's another group stage exit in Munster yet again for them.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t screaming for a red. He doesn’t manage Galway anymore. His job is to do the best for Dublin and pressuring for a red was the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I'm glad the Munster final is in Thurles. I think it's the best location for it. I know some like breezy hates the place but for me Tom Semples stadium holds a lot of history down the years it's pretty central to the five Munster hurling counties. I"ve been to a few Munster hurling finals down the years and all bar one was in Thurles. Handy enough to get to from Dublin, also.

• Advertisement

I have my problems with Thurles as a town but the GAA can do nothing about that.

My major problem is the GAA could definitely put money into the stadium and make it as good as PuC (or even PnG) seeing as it is used for practically every qualifier, replay and neutral venue in hurling.

For a 40k+ stadium in a financially secure sport the access and facilities are utter shte in parts of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hard to believe that Tipp were the only team with nothing to play for today. I was at the Dublin v Tipp league game in Parnell Park. And it was men against boys. Tipp were toying with Dublin. Now in only a short while it has all changed. If you told me that Dublin would be getting to a Leinster Final, and Tipp would be making up the numbers in Munster, I would have said you are off your head.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

You may ask Micheál. But as mentioned, he manages Dublin. If Galway were playing Kilkenny, Shefflin would do the same, that's their job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Genuine question. Are GAA players actually tested for doping ?

Watching the Limerick players today, they just had the look of professional athletes compared to the Waterford players . Even the smallest Limerick lad just looks like an absolute unit. The technique in their running is perfect. They don’t even look like they are tired most of the time.

There was a moment where a Limerick back is coming out with the ball and a Waterford player tackles him full force with a shoulder but the Waterford player just bounced off him and the Limerick lad continues as if it didn’t even happen.
    Surely it’s not a level playing field ?

As I said, it looked like pro athletes vs amateurs today. A bit like the International Rules games.

In fairness, it's all down to the tools or lack of them. Peaking in the league isn't an excuse for being sh*t in the championship.

The great Kilkenny team were great all year round..…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good question I never once heard of drug testing mentioned in the GAA ever.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭C4000

Another epic Munster final in store. These Limerick v Clare matches will be remembered for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

GoIng back a while but mates of mine who have played county have been tested after matches. Not sure if it still goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭moby2101

Semple “Stadium “ is a dump, great pitch but the facilities and ground are a throwback to something from the 70’s , shouldnt be considered for a Munster Final until it’s substantially improved.

Advertisement