Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,485 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This thread will go quiet too. Last year only one post between July and December. Before that it was all about Munster hurling, particularly Cork. Then on 04 December somebody discovered that it would be a repeat this year, which produced the expected reaction.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41282941.html

After Christmas all went quiet again for a few months. Until our politicians and other interested parties were taken by surprise by Cork not getting on RTE. This happens with the schedule of games as well, which is published in December. Some people are caught out at this time of year by how condensed the season is, and that games have to be settled on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I think you missed the sarcastic intent of my post. Was echoing the sarcasm of the other poster in relation to The Irish Times.

Was listening to a radio discussion on this whole topic yesterday. Somebody drew a comparison with LOITV (League of Ireland TV) - pointed out how they stream every single match, whether it's on TV or not, and wondered why can't the GAA do the same.

Question arises - even if the GAA did that, wouldn't there still be complaints anyway?

A large part of the gripe about GAA GO is that "many people don't have good enough broadband" and "elderly people don't have access to the internet, or don't know how to use it".

Streaming every single match wouldn't stop these complaints, and might even make them worse, e.g. "we were only missing out on two or three matches being streamed each week - now we're missing out on them all!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭jj880

Maybe there should be a text vote on what will be shown on RTE. Clearly state how many games can be shown and give the options.

Use text messages so everyone can have a vote. No web / social media polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not a great idea when some counties have much larger populations than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Not sure if it's still done but didn't the LFGA stream all league games from all 4 divisions on their Facebook page during COVID? I would pay double the current subscription charge just to have all my county league and championship matches streamed. Like all the minor and under 20 championship games are streamed and I wouldnt think they are being streamed at a loss - the senior grade would have multiple of viewer numbers compared to the underage grades. The argument that if you are paying good money for a product then production values need to be upped with the likes of pre and post match analysis and multi camera angles. I don't see that as essential - what's essential is one camera positioned correctly and a constant stream with a commentator and off we go.

This "national outcry" is both politicking with elections coming up, the media looking for clicks and people who moan about anything who in a lot of cases are passing supporters. A good number would have awareness that Cork for example were playing in the hurling, turned on RTE 2 around throw in time and had a fit that it wasn't on free to air.

I honestly believe the vast majority of people that really want to watch a match on GAAGO would have the ways and means to watch it. That might mean asking the young fella down the road to bring the laptop up, going to the local pub for two fanta's etc etc. it's the passing fans that are up in arms for me, if that Saturday night movie was any good or Munster were playing Treviso in Limerick they'd be watching that instead.

Good point. Take final results from each county as 1 vote for a particular match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Of course the thread will go quiet. GAAGo do not show any club games, the GAA blocks TG4 from showing games abroad but does not put them on GAAGo, although the video is already available. That in itself is a disgrace.

It will be interesting to note if the ground if full on this occasion, neither Galway footballers nor Derry are known for huge support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pearse Stadium on a Saturday afternoon is a nightmare to get to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

An outsider opinion here: I'm not a member of a club, I've no real interest in football, sometimes go to games, and my wider family would watch hurling if it was on TV.

The big fans in my family either went to the games or paid for GAAgo. No issues. I went to some games and didn't pay for GAAgo. My children and wider family saw virtually no hurling this year (maybe TG4).

You maybe won't get many casual fans like me in this thread and our opinions probably aren't heavily considered, but in cities particularly GAA has competition. We're like "undecided" voters in elections or something. And 3 weeks of no senior hurling on TV means that there's been very little hurling shown in our house. Provincial senior rugby competes against underage hurling for screen time. It's nothing like a fair battle.

So I think a question is whether the GAAgo primary goal is broadcasting to an existing audience or growing the sport with new audiences. Because I don't think GAAgo is achieving the latter with the current model. The stated GAA goal is "show the sport to as wide an audience as possible", but since the championship format change our house has seen less hurling than before. And GAAgo isn't really going to stem that tide.

Also, choosing to put Cork on GAAgo 3 weeks in a row looks like shooting yourself in the foot. I understand they're trying to drive people onto the service but it's a double edged sword. And dangerous when your competition aren't doing the same. It's not really the price that's the problem for me more a case of "why would I bother, there's already something interesting on TV". It didn't make me get a subscription anyway.

Finally, the Saturday/Sunday Game TV show, I know it's a different topic entirely but it's dire altogether these days. Not worth watching at all. So that's not helping the situation either!

For context. And given that strategy, it looks like they chose wisely (back in December). There is such a massive audience for the Cork hurling games, that it is a no brainer to put those on pay tv.

"Burns said that while he understood some people's frustration with the Cork-Limerick game going behind a paywall, he stressed the commercial reality was that GAAGO had to include some big games to make the subscription (€69 per year) attractive.

"In order to make GAAGO financially viable we can't just show the peripheral small games that we're not going to have on (otherwise) so we do have to have some games to attract people to the €69 that they will say, 'there's a couple of big games on that will justify my purchase.'

"Remember, we do not have shareholders, we have stakeholders and those stakeholders are demanding that we do our best to fund all of these infrastructure projects and all of the €75m that we give back (to county boards and clubs)."

Last year it was about showing games that wouldn't be shown on TV? So, that was deflection.

Now, it's about maximising revenue. And yet we don't have a breakdown.

The GAA don't even fully own this. How much goes back into RTE? A well-know corrupt organization engaging in financial malpractice and overspending on the ridiculous. It's financial departments can't even trace its money.

Burns says RTE have the figures on profit… he didn't know… Let me repeat that. He didn't know.

I don't know how alarm bells are not ringing on this. It's utter madness.

We don't know how many football facilities and hurling facilities outside of munster will get this money?

Why is the blood, sweat, and tears of Munster hurling going toward provinces who can't paddle their own canoe? Why is Munster being punished for its own success? That should be Munster revenue.

Perhaps that was quite the line in the 1950s, I'm not sure…

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭C4000

The GAA's share of GAAGO profits in 2023 was 758,355 euros.

Gaago also have free access to a lot of matches a couple of days after broadcast. You'd need an account to watch them back but don't have to pay.

• Advertisement

It's in their published financial statement for 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This would suggest poor marketing, as I did not know this.

Yep....they should be using it as a way to get people to at least create accounts......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭Wompa1

To be fair, him inferring GAAGo is a plucky young startup company when RTE and the GAA are behind it is ridiculous and insulting. He is an arrogant pr1ck, imo. He said that to make them the victims and to frame it that the Government should be providing support implicitly due to it being a startup. He should go f*ck himself from a height.

Someone asked on here for a YouTube link to Cork Limerick on the Monday after the game so I sent it on. So if its not on GaaGo for free as you say thats how I found it on YouTube. Came up straight away when I applied the filters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As a fellow city person I don't think any amount of TV coverage or exposure will move the needle.

I've lived through Jackie's Army, Munster rugby and their "greatest fans ever", seen Limerick hurling attendances go up by "coincidentally" the same amount is now missing from Thomond Park and grew up hearing about Finucane, Connolly and a packed out Market's Field.

For the casual city dwelling fan and their family winning and only winning will "promote" the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You make a good point, and it's probably largely right. But definitely I was with small kids who were buzzing about hurling after the Clare game, so having it in front of you as a spectacle definitely has at least a small part to play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone have trouble with app on an android phone? Tried today for first time this year, not opening for me at all. Updated, reinstalled it etc but no joy. Also i can't find any contact details for support etc on their website??

Tried clearing all data for the app from Settings ⇒ Apps ⇒ GaaGo and reboot phone?

• According to the lead article in today's Irish Mail on Sunday, as part of the reform of RTE into more of a public service broadcaster, "ministerial sources" have indicated that GAA Go "has to go". It being the Mail of course, how accurate this turns out to be is anyone's guess….

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

It probably will go and if it does these extra matches will not be broadcast anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if the RTE/ GAA gaago venture in its current form ends, theres nothing to stop the GAA starting a new streaming venture independent of RTE and without the alleged conflicts of interest that annoy the politicans.

Sure, if the government forces RTE to renege on a commercial contract you would think that the GAA would be able to sue for compensation for breach of contract which would cover to a reasonable extent the development costs of a non RTE Gaago successor

• I've no problem with the GAA maximizing income from their games, just not with RTE. They've two sources of income already (tv licenses and advertising/commercial activities). Allowing them a third is an abuse of their position IMO. That the Competition Authority didn't stop it originally is a mystery to me.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't RTE provide the outside broadcast infrastructure for GAA Go? If the RTE Player was half decent they could provide online streams themselves of these matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

will they pay extra for the rights to the extra games? Extra being something like a million euro or more.

During the test phase of GAAGO they were using the RTE streaming infrastructure and the picture was far better than the current UK provider.

• Will they pay extra? Probably not in their current cash strapped condition.

"UK provider"

Does RTE not currently do the OB infrastructure? If not, who is it?

One thing's for sure though, online streaming is the only game in town when dealing with the increased number of sporting events, especially when you have games at the same time. Would the GAA do a new deal with Sky I wonder if GAA Go is scrapped? Sky Sports+ (launching in August) would overcome the problem of not being able to show simultaneous games.

Have previously stated but maybe you missed it - large part of the reason Sky didn't renew their last deal was that they wanted exclusivity over throw-in times, similar to what they have for their soccer coverage in England. Basically means that if they were showing a hurling or football championship match at 2 p.m. on a Sunday, no other match could be on at the same time. Only exception would be for the final round group games, which by rule have to be played at the same time (again, similar to the last day of the Premier League in England).

Unless Sky back down on that demand, highly unlikely they'll ever show GAA matches again, because I simply can't see the GAA allowing them that sort of exclusivity.

• An awkward demand from Sky no doubt. But I think they've undermined their own argument a bit though, since as regards to English football they'll be showing simultaneous games in the lower leagues next season. Ditto the Premier League from 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The reason Sky will be showing simultaneous games is because the right holder (EPL/EFL) has allowed them.

In the EPL case it's part of the new deal that all Sunday games can be broadcast, this is one of a few measures in the deal to counteract illegal streaming.

Sky and TNT will still have the ability to determine the KO times of the games they broadcast.

That was the sticking point with the GAA, the broadcaster picking which games could start at which times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭howiya

RTE don't provide OB infrastructure. Its been outsourced for years.

But to the best of my knowledge, it's outsourced by RTE - i.e. RTE are still responsible for arranging it?

• Advertisement

Still having the same issue, been back and forth to support for weeks and no resolution. Wasnt too bothered as tv app works fine but will be at an event today and would like to keep an eye on the games. Anyone else having issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭shmeee

Is it an error connecting issue? I'd that recently and a fresh reinstall and cleared all cache & data. Worked then.

Just log into the GaaGo website on web browser on device if stuck.

Iv'e done all that numerous times but no joy. I can watch on browser alright but cant get it to go full screen

You try another mobile browser? Might be worth a shot. I flip over to Brave sometimes when Chrome has trouble with something. I also have Firefox, MS Edge and the stock browser (Mi Browser) installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I see Harris sticking his oar in again on the GAAGo issue.

Is there any other issue where the government has been so vocal insisting that an organisation should be giving its product away for less than its market value?

Hard to listen to Harris with his populist yapping about the GAA and grassroots. Whats his angle? Perhaps deflection away from RTE before the license fee rebrand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

You make it sound as if the government was trying to control the price of Brennan's bread. GAAGo is jointly owned by RTÉ, a semi state organisation currently in a state of chaos, which (like the GAA during Covid) will probably need a bailout in the near future. Bloody sure the government should be offering an opinion. Time to demand something less than contempt for the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

https://connachttribune.ie/calls-for-review-of-gaago-following-galway-dublin-thriller/

It's getting seriously heated now. Anne Rabbitte has the GAA in her crosshairs

They can review it all they like there will always be complaints unless its scrapped. Rumoured annual 50 mill rte bailout now on top of the license fee / broadcast fee isnt going to help matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The rights for the games currently on GAA Go are going back out to tender.

It will be interesting to see if Virgin Media or TG4 put in serious bids.

Advertisement