Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Once you set up the equipment Starlink know where it is and you can't move it around. I suspect your good within say a kilometer but many will tell you less (mine on Starlinks map is shown as being 1k from where it actually is).

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But I assume this is when you set it up?

If I got equipment delivered to ni, I wouldn't be setting it up there, only using it as a delivery address.

Id set it up in donegal and then register? Would that work I assume?

I'm probably making things more complicated than they are. Yes its when you set it up that the dish becomes geo located. However originally you had to put in your address for Starlink to check if they were providing a service to that area. Now I think you can get Starlink in most if not all of Ireland. Although I think Starlink may eventually use the address check to prevent there being too many subscribers in one area.

btw the reports I've read about the refurb equipment is that it looks like brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Most refurbs have a small scratch or a smudge on the dish.

I wouldn't but a ethernet adaptor privately as they can fail, might not even be working, will Starlink provide warranty when not buy off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

Starlink Gen 3 with the new router is now available to order on the Irish website . 225 for the kit .

Gen 2 still available, is gen 3 worth €75 more? Router is better, dish supposed to give faster speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Happy Gen 1 customer here!

Anyone else's starlink gone to shite tonight. Getting 10 down 7 up on its own app

Very shite

240 down 14 up and thats with a VPN so all OK here.

Edit> Very strangely getting slower results without the VPN 120 down and 14 up with direct connection but still good enough.

• Advertisement

Manual reboot solved it. First time had to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

Middle of the night but still impressive figures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Has anyone used starlink with sky glass? Any issues?

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

Just sharing my experience with Starlink here as well.

I've been living in rural Wicklow for 12 years. In that time I had:

• Wicklow Broadband (renamed to Wifiber, renamed to Digiweb). Excellent provider, but requires line of sight which is tricky for us (antenna needs to be on neigbour property AND cross a road). No contention, excellent latency, great customer support.
    • DSL through Sky (5mbit/s, spotty) and Eir (3mbit/s, more often off than on)
    • 3G through.. I think Vodafone? 80GB limit back in the day, performance really depending on time of the day.
    • Imagine broadband 4G. In the beginning 150+ mbit/s all the time. Then it went downhill gradually. I did some in depth testing a month ago: 150mbit/s at 6:30 am, then going down as people get up. During the day maybe 20-30mbit/s, at night (prime time) less than 10mbit/s. Looking at the contract, Imagine guarantees 2mbit/down. Yuck. For 65 Euro a month.
    • Starlink: 200-250mbit/s down, 20-25mbit/s up. 24/7. Latency < 30ms, not ideal for gaming, but good enough. More than good enough for everything else. No outage or issues in the 3 weeks I had it. All that for 50 Euro a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭mossie

Very similar history to mine. Got Starlink in February as Imagine had gotten so poor and NBI was showing December 24 for connection. Very happy with Starlink but NBI is now ready to connect (6 months early)and I've ordered that but would happily recommend Starlink to anyone in a similar position to where I was a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Is this the proof that Elon Musk is trying to turn us all into a useless bunch of ****?

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TWIreland

Anyone having RTE Player and all other apps drop on and out on starlink with AppleTV. Seems to only be an issue in the last two weeks. ATV is on wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Bedouin79

have Apple TV hard wired no problems to report.

I get dropouts on a Roberts internet radio listening to BBC Radio 4 but tbh I think thats due to a poor wifi connection on a poor radio rather than the Starlink connection.

• Advertisement

Have you checked the app to see the connection statistics when the dropouts occur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Maybe a bit late and answering a slightly different question, but I believe relevant anyway.

I have sky Q (not Sky glass) , had recording issues when using 4G broadband. After I moved to Starlink, no more problems. Hope it helps.

Thx... starlink and sky glass have both arrived... I'll be setting up on the weekend. Hopefully all will work seamlessly!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I have had Sky Q for years (and years) and had zero issues with it since I moved to Starlink last year, but I'm contemplating a move to sky glass as the Sky dish is near its end of days. Let us know how the new setup goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Stewball

How does SkyQ and Starlink perform together? Mainly the multiscreen.

I'm still using the old Sky+HD boxes. I never upgraded because of the poor internet service in my area.

If Starlink was down would Sky also not work then?

• Advertisement

SkyQ and Starlink work great for me where I have a "main" Sky Q box and two mini boxes (multiscreen). My Starlink router is with the rest of the hardware (dish etc.) out in my garage and it connects then via an ethernet cable to a tp-link switch in the house and the Sky Q box is connected via ethernet directly to this too.

I then have a Deco Mesh system around the house where each multiscreen mini box is connected via an ethernet cable to an M5 mesh access point (I have turned off wireless access in the Sky boxes so that there is only one WIFI network in the house). The whole system is self contained allocating local IP addresses from the Deco to allow the Sky boxes to communicate with each other.

AFAIK Sky will work without the internet, but since installation of Starlink 15 months ago, I don't think it has ever had to because the only time time Starlink goes down is around 3am when router / dish firmware upgrades get installed and it all reboots automatically. Before I installed Starlink I ran it all off a Three 4G router in the same configuration.

The reason I'm considering Sky Stream is because the system "just works" and my existing Sky dish is nearing EOL.

I have a similar setup done in a house. However the sky mini buffers sometimes. Main Sky box wired to mesh which is wired to main mesh. Mini wired to mesh which is wireless and has full reception. It all seems fine when I am there. All sky WiFi turned off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

On my own mesh I can check each deco unit to see if it's connecting via 2.4GHz or 5GHz. If it's at 2.4 it's a sign (to me anyway) that it's not getting a strong signal. I have then moved the mesh units slightly, let them settle for a few hours and then check again. If you are getting intermittent buffering, to me it's a sign of the signal strength of the mesh not being strong enough or periodic interference from another device?

Yes, using Tenda, that feature not there. However showing full signal and single block wall in between. From using these before and the speed available from it, connection isn't an issue. I suppose I should run a cable to it temporarily to see if that solves it. Was also thinging of going back to the wifi setup Sky had working, which was fine all along, except when I added the mesh, the sky wifi seemed to cause bad interference with the mesh even causing packet loss.

Well... I'm no techie, but this was absolutely child's play.

Starlink was up and running in about 10 minutes.

Getting 170mb down and 28mb up. North West rural mayo.

Couldn't believe how simple it was.

Now... that being said, it's not in its permanent home as I need to physically install it in a better location and drill a hole in the wall to feed the cable in to the house And do some cable management etc. It's really awesomely cool when you switch it on and it searches for the best satellite signal... the "dish" rotates and pivots automatically - quite quickly.. like something from a terminator movie. LOL

Got the sky glass unpacked and put it on its stand. Turned it on, connected it to my new WiFi signal, confirmed the last 4 digits of my phone number and started watching TV.... it was THAT simple. I was shocked it didn't ask for an email address or account number etc... really really slick. It really is a great invention ... no sky boxes/ mini boxes blah blah. Just a power cord running from the TV to the socket. :-) very tidy.

65 inch sky glass TV- Image quality is perfect, no noticeable lag while watching TV. If I was being absolutely cynical channel up / down is marginally slower than a standard sky box, but honestly it isn't an issue.

Need to get a proper wall mount for the TV though.

Happy days! Feel free to PM if any questions.

Muppet man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Matchu7

Hi folks,

Quick couple of questions…..

Anyone have this in or around Carrick-On- Shannon/Roosky area ? How is it?

Can someone recommend an installer for this area?

We are currently using IMAGINE….who have got worse and worse over the last few years….and NBI is 18-24 months away…

Many thanks!

Starlink isn't like Imagine or Mobile … if you have a clear view of the sky from where your dish would be placed, it will just work. There are many Ex-Imagine people using it very happily.

Get the Starlink app on your smartphone, get as close as you can with the device, to where the dish will be placed and use the "Check for obstructions" feature. This should tell you what you need to know.

My dish is on a flat roof, so I lay down on the flat roof with the phone in front of my face and scanned the sky with the app.

Hi all, like most installers, looking at the new Gen3, it seems like an improvement especially with the router. However the pole mount design leaves a lot to be desired. Very little contact with the pole and could easily see it work itself loose over time.
    I am involved with a UK group of installers and one of them has come up with a far superior design with plenty of contact with the pole. I am using these myself and also have them for sale if anyone wants them.

Cost for 1 is €70,

box of 5 is €275, including postage.

To order go to
    https://forms.mount

Any queries 0863788715
    I am based in mid Cork and do Starlink installs, WiFi mesh, WiFi point to point and calving cameras.

Patrick

Video of mount

leevalleybroadbandsolutions.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13 popeye mchuge

Apologies if these questions have been asked already. I'm thinking of getting the starlink system. I have 3 with a signal booster, it was great to start with, however the signal has became unreliable. As low as 1mbps.Fibre not an option til at least 2026. I'm based in Mayo.

I have the deco M4 mesh system.in the house aswell.

What are the pros and cons to the system?.
    What is the best system to get, refurbished, standard actuator or the standard?
    What is the difference betwee these systems?
    Do I need any add ons. Ie Ethernet adapter?

Is it one year contract or is it flexible?

Any information is welcome. Thanks

What are the pros and cons to the system?

Coming from a Mobile connection, there would be no cons.

What is the best system to get, refurbished, standard actuator or the standard?

Some people have had good experience with refurbed gear. I'd bought mine waaaay before that was an option. 🙄

What is the difference betwee these systems?

I didn't know what you were talking about with respect to Standard and Standard Actuator, so I looked. The standard is just a flat panel that has a "kickstand" to angle it slightly. The previous Gen 1 and Gen 2 were all, what is now called, "Standard Actuator" in that the dish/panel can automatically adjust the angle and direction it points in order to get a good signal. Perhaps there are now enough sats flying over us that the actuator is no longer needed.

Do I need any add ons. Ie Ethernet adapter?

If you want to connect any wired tech, then yes the Ethernet adapter is required. If you are purely Wireless then you don't need it. I can't comment on how good the new routers are for WiFi, as I have Gen 1 and it's wired to my own WiFi.

EDIT: just realised you have a Mesh system. Presumably that is initially connected by an Ethernet cable, so get the adapter.

Is it one year contract or is it flexible?

Completely flexible, with no limits. Just pay by the month, cancel/suspend anytime.

Thanks ao much for your reply.

I'd imagine I would have to mount it on a pole to get over the roof to get the best signal. Does the weather the affect the signal?

Weather hadn't made much difference to our signal. You don't need height we the dish, it just needs to be able to see the sky. You can use the starlink app on you phone to check for obstacles.. it uses the phone on your camera and hold it where you are thinking of putting the dish

I already checked it is pretty good. I have a mast on house for my phone coverage so I was thinking if I got the pole adapter to raise it over the roof slighty it shoul be perfect.

Thanks for the help.

Just another question. Do all the dishes rotate? Or is that a certain generation.

If they all do, the refurbished system sounds great value.

I would hope the pole adapter would work with this setup

• Advertisement

I don't think gen 3 is motorised.. it really doesn't seem to make much difference. I've gen 2 and once setup hadn't moved much at all I think the bottom of it is due south and the dish is almost flat..

Do you need the Ethernet adapter with gen 3?

Not sure .. have a Google/YouTube.. you do with gen 2

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Stewball

It will. I have pretty much the exact same set up as your picture.

The pole adapter connects to the pole and the dish clicks into the pole adapter.

Brilliant. Thanks for that

@popeye mchuge Does the weather the affect the signal?

Nearly 20 years ago I had an old fashioned geo-synch satellite service. A heavy mist was all it took to slow things down and a heavy rain shower would drop the connection. I had a lot of disconnections those days.

With Starlink, as the satellites are much, much closer to the ground, the only weather effect I noticed about 2 years ago was signal loss after a particularly intense hail shower, but that didn't last long as the dish heats up to melt any "snow" that would block the signal.

Super I just want a good understanding before I push the button to purchase. Much better to ask people's experience than watching YouTube.

Does anyone who rents the equipment know what the procedure is for returning it once you cancel? Got fiber installed yesterday so cancelling.

Let us know ;-) All I know is I kept the box so I can pack mine up easily. Beyond that not a clue.

• Advertisement

Advertisement