Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia-Ukraine War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

Revenge, give them a taste of their own medicine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

I know. Ultimately would be counter productive but the temptation must be very strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Putin badly wants Ukraine to strike civilian targets in Russia and Ukraine knows this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

No. Hell no.

The decision makers in russia give little crap about the lives of their own people, so it would achieve little to being detrimental as it would destroy too much moral high ground the Ukrainians have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Ukr attacking civilian targets - in revenge or otherwise not a good idea IMO . Ukr would achieve nothing except get up the ‘ backs of civilian Russians and Putin would use it to justify the war . Use the bombs/missiles instead to target Ru training grounds / soldier resting /sleping/ eating accommodation, munitions dumps , fuel refinery facilities, main supply routes, etc. A much more effective use of time and arnaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭zv2

Another crime from the vodka-sodden ghetto-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I think one of the only reasons that discussions are ongoing about unchaining western donated weapons from targeting Russian soil is precisely because Ukraine has not to date ever specifically targeted civilians.

They've built up an awful lot of good will and trust amongst western partners and shown enormous restraint considering their opponent. They're almost universally recognized as the victim and the "good guy" in this conflict.

It'd be awfully foolish to undo that now "for revenge" or whatever reason. Don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Whatever of our western governments but the western people are not making enough noise of the terrorism tactics that Putin's military use. Every western being, should be calling for the shunning of all Russian business and western business that is still operating in Russia that hasn't been taken by the Kremlin, all Russian embassies to be closed bar one in the EU, no Russian people be allowed access to the EU, no more statements from Russia be allowed on western media, no Russian ships be allowed access to European and British waters.

There's probably more ways, subtle and not so subtle. Putin and Russia have to realise they've messed up big time and there's no way back bar withdrawing from Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭scottser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Nothing to be gained by deliberately targeting civilians, beside it being a war crime and ethically wrong

Plenty of orcs in uniform and their equipment and bases to eradicate instead as per rules of war

Ukrainians could have levelled Donetsk and Belgorod as both are within conventional range and didn’t, because thats what Russians do, Ukrainian war aims are quite clear.

BTW congratulations on skill fully steering conversation from actual Russian war crimes and attacks on civilians towards theoretical revenge fantasies, that has to be the most elaborate whataboutery performance I seen yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Putin's view of the world is one where hard power underpins the sovereignty of nations. Calling for the shunning of Russian businesses and closing Russian embassies is maybe warranted, but I don't think it's going to do anything close to making Putin realise that he messed up. That point would come if and when his gambit in Ukraine fails due to a collapse in Russian military capability, and he is hauled out of office and dragged through the street by an angry mob. Performative gestures will not bring that about. What will bring that about is continued and increasing western support for Ukraine in terms of being able to defend itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ships carrying Russian oil/goods travel off our coasts regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AngeloArgue

It's only a matter of "when" and not "if" the US gives the go-ahead for ATACMS missiles to be used against targets in Russia. These won't be used against civilian targets. They will be used to take out aircraft on the ground in their home bases, such as the MiG-29 and Su-34 multirole bomber aircraft, that have been plaguing Ukraine with FAB glide bombs and cruise missiles.

This has a potential to be a much more potent weapon than the promised F-16, effectively wiping out air support capabilities at the frontlines for Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Looks like the UK, Sweden, Poland and Estonia have all come out to say weapons supplied by them to Ukraine can be used on Russian soil. The USA, again on the fence. Lots of talk within Congress, but the buck stops with Biden. Time will tell.

And then Scholz being Scholz won't allow it:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/05/26/7457734/#:~:text=The%20aim%20of%20his%20policy,being%20used%20on%20Russian%20territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Scholz is a living call to believe that not making a decision is always worse than making the wrong decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Coming up on 2 1/2 years in to the war.

The time of when was late 2 years ago.

The F16s are in the post etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was following an environmentalist on twitter. I'm an environmentalist myself but I own my land and make a living from it. I haven't put it on my bio and use it to criticise others and tell people I'm an environmentalist. This other environmentalist as far as I see owns no land but since the invasion started has been mildly pro Putin. Everyone other than Putin is the devil. Biden, the irish government, the british, all the european governments, Israel (I'm against the way Israel has done all this myself and see them as russians who happen to be jewish), all the devil as far as they are concerned. They never publicly supported Putin till this evening with a post.

The post went along as I don't want to be part of WW3. Just Ukraine stop fighting and stop sending people to fight the Russians and give up the invaded parts of the country and make this stop.

It's some universe people like this live in. It's akin to pulling the bed sheets over your head and pretending it's all better now.

Meanwhile Russia has now declared a new sea border with Estonia. Annexing territory from Estonia.

La la la something, something, not putin and nazi russia's fault. La la la I love communism. I want Putin. They'd love me as an Irish person in russia and not send me to jail or the front lines or poison or throw me out of a window. I've been to university you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Funny how the terror attack on Russia a few weeks back has been buried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This block on Ukraine using western / US weapons to hit targets in Russia should never have been. If this was not the case , I believe Ukraine would have well won the war by now plus many many Ukraine citizens would be still alive today.

Right now Russia are adapting to using this block to its fullest by gathering 10s of 1000s of troops up north of kharkiv + weapons platforms to fire from into Ukraine just inside russia border fully knowing that Ukraine are not allowed to hit them there. Ukraine have to wait until they cross the border into Ukraine before they can hit them. This is utter looney tunes - a clear advantage being handed to putin by jake sullivan and co. Its just absurd.

However the talk im hearing is it is imminent US may allow Ukraine to use US weapons to strike inside russia, but the limit on this maybe only to hit those 3 or so oblasts in russia, north of kharkiv like sumi and the like that russia is using as a staging point inside russia at the mo. Even this would be a game changer

Post edited by aidanodr on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

WW3 has already begun and the west is losing because they are scared of provoking russia.

Saw this earlier. As mentioned in that podcast, ww3 started inc the russia activity in africa and the west not joining the dots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭vswr

The west have definitely joined the dots, but took their eye off the ball to allow it to happen to the extent it has (one of the pitfalls of trying to get a government to conform to democracy, you either micro manage it until it happens (i.e. not a democracy) or it can be easily manipulated into an autocracy.

It will be interesting to see how these new regimes hold up when western funding is removed and Russia pillage their resources.

Africa has always been a continuous flip flop.

What is also not really reported on is Western influence by proxy, particularly via Egypt, UAE, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia.

Turning point will be when Russia or China get a naval/AF base on Western Africa, with access to the Atlantic, which is expected in the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Maybe that is why Putin was mentioning ceasefires last week.

F**k him.

How do you spot a Russian? They write their letters and sentences backwards 🤣

Speaking of backward ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Are Wallace and Daly running out for MEP, or might they be out pretty soon ?

I used to see them as just a mild embarrassment for the country, but at this point they're actually a danger.

I do know for sure that Chinese media uses Wallace in the international news (without any context) but displays him as "the Irish/European viewpoint". Wouldn't surprise me if Russia does similar. Useful idiots indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sweden will allow UAF to use their weapons to strike inside Russia.

Ball seems to definitely be moving to countries letting UAF strike inside. This could (if other countries agree to it), completely disrupt the Russian logistics and give Ukraine a much needed advantage.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It's not the Polish Foreign Minister's views that people don't like. It's disingenuous posts on here that people don't like.

Again, the only thing Putin listens to is deterrence.

As soon as he stops believing he can "win", then I think the end of the war is in sight.

Even just announcing that Ukraine can hit where it likes, including Moscow if needed, can be a gamechanger.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's how Kremlin spin works. Generally speaking. Use an event to make wild claims against Ukraine/The West© and then memory hole it within a month or so. They seem to operate on the principle 3-5 weeks is enough time for people to forget, especially their people and supporters elsewhere. It seems to work too. Exceptions to this general rule are also memory hole based. EG the now Russian Fact© of "Boris Johnson told Ukraine to ignore peace" relies on short memories. Memories that have forgotten their "tactical feint" original spin, or the fact that the talks went on for weeks after Johnson had been and gone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

That is a gamechanger number 20 or something like that?

The only thing that this will be good for is that he will return the favor most likely in quite savage fashion. Because he can.

Announcing is good for nothing, Macron recently announced and then denied more serious stuff several times and it was the same with other announcements. There are announcements every week or so for the last 2 years and what exactly happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

African states & peoples have a general tendency to follow the money, whatever the source. Knock on of colonialism by Europe I think. For example we had a relative on the missions, they'd visit a village and talk to the elders. Soon enough the village would become Catholic, a school and mission hall would be built etc. Missionaries would then move on, leaving a local cleric in charge. A year or two later, relative would visit the village and find they were all now Protestants of some order with a bit of extra investment from that quarter! They'd reconvert them and so on.

Russia & China may be putting money into African states now but it'll just be a bigger version of above. The difference in culture is too big and Africans will be Africans.

It does happen. It's a staggered escalation. They announce what they might / will and then have done. So Russians know what's coming and cannot claim they were not warned or over react.

Like this

Is say it's only a matter of time before Western forces are protecting western skies or western boots in west Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Clare Daly putting Russian spies in contact with homegrown terrorists.

I hope she is being closely investigated by the authorities, but the Gardai have a v poor record on political corrruption. This is extremely serious though, she's working with an authoritarian regime to, overthrow or at least seriously undermine European democracy. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I'm referring to the Clare Daly's and Mick Wallace's who "can't understand" why the Ukrainians "want war" because they won't accept Russian occupation and accept treaties that don't actually exist, by a dictator who only has a track record of only breaking breaking international treaties

I sincerely hope you aren't parroting Russian propaganda mock "concern" about Ukrainians being forced to fight on their own territory

This changes things much more than being given any shiny new weapons.

It's easy for Putin to push his "special military operation" when it is far away from most Russians. He could fire missiles at Ukraine for the rest of his life if he knows Ukraine won't/can't hit back. The Russian people don't even need to know.

There's a reason he invaded a neutral country like Ukraine rather than a stronger NATO nation - it's deterrence. Russia being attacked is a huge deterrent.

You know you just gave me an interesting idea to end this war

What if Ukrainians invite in all them American evangelical priests in, and Rabiis and Catholic priests and the whole country en masse “convert”

I am sure god (same god in all them religions) won’t mind 😂 what can he do? Allow Russians kill more civilians? Burst another dam?

Good luck then to any politician in congress or senate or White House “not helping fellow Christians against them Ortodox/Muslim Russian hordes”

Russian main tv news calling Kharkiv supermarket they bombed an “ammo depo”

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/s/FdJs4scRp4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Mass criminality and its bedmate corruption is the main reason African states have falling in with Russia. I expect to see a lot of iffy precious stones and gold finding its way on to the market in the near future.

Dan.

• Advertisement

Shopping centre = ammo depot

Hospital = Enemy tank storage

Baby hospital = terrorist training facility

School = Enemy HQ

Creche = Enemy troop location

the apparent aim of Russia ( and china ) is to eventually take over countries in North africa to give them naval bases on the med and west coast of Africa / Atlantic. this in my view has fck all to do precious stones and gold bar being a side show to help fund there new world order. WW3 has started - this is part of the pre match event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Iv'e seen footage of the fire and there is continuous explosions. Could it be gas canisters or other chemicals stored in a large DIY facility maybe?

It’s long range HIMARs and PATRIOT missiles cooking off of course, did you not get todays memo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

I blame Toyota for the fall of Chad. They're always involved.

I've seen that video. I suspect the secondary explosions are inserted into the video to make it look like a military facility. Other videos don't have these explosions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Israel seems to be following their example too.

• Advertisement

…..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement