Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National EV Charging Infrastructure Strategy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

From what most petrol station franchises have said they're very much behind EV charging. Makes sense in many ways because EV drivers charging for 20-30 mins are more likely to buy something in the shop where the profit margin is higher

I heard an anecdote years ago that petrol stations make the same profit on a cup of coffee as a full tank of diesel despite the diesel being much more valuable

Not sure if that's still true but I can't imagine it's changed significantly either

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

well I believe it. An owner of a services station in my town paid 35k for a coffee machine after the old one packed in. He told the father the cost of the machine was made back in a matter of weeks.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Profit margins can be very strange, I heard once that the cardboard popcorn buckets in cinemas cost more than the popcorn in them

Back on the topic of charging, it's good to see that things like facilities are considered as part of the grant

My biggest concern is that there's still no clear requirements for chargers to accept credit card payments. There's something about non discriminatory access and confirming to the UDG (Universal Design Guidelines?), but unless it's clearing spelled out then we'll be stuck with apps and RFID cards forever

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The requirement for card payments at charging infrastructure is dictated by EU Regulation 2023/1804. Previously charging infrastructure came under Direct 2014/94/EU.

The main difference between a directive and a regulation is that a directive has to be transposed by member states, whereas a regulation automatically applies to all member states.

TL/DR We don't need an Irish law requiring payment card support because there's already a law in place dealing with the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

anyone attend this or know what the update was?

https://x.com/infrasummitie/status/1786050742047985863?s=46&t=JJzoP-ETgaWRYF7T_Hzysg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Franchisees often don’t get to make such decisions that involve infrastructure when they don’t own the property. A lot of the big service stations close to the motorway are owned by fuel companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭65535

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41403542.html

Now all we need is an actual 'motorway network' that will at least join the 2 largest cities outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Do we not have this on most if not all motorways already?

M1, M11,M6,M4,M7,M8,M9 are all roads I'd be on semi-regularly and there are well spaced fast chargers. The M3 isn't as well served on route but there are good off route chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Yeah its total bollox. What we actually need are enough chargers at enough sites that when you need a charge you can just pull into a station and be guaranteed that you dont have to wait and that there are enough working chargers so that you dont actually notice if any are broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

FFS this won't make any difference. If they were serious about EV uptake - they should give each household a free EV charger whether they purchase a new or second hand EV + FREE charging for 3-6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I think it'd reasonable to have the Cork-Belfast route go via Dublin. My only complaint would be some upgrades around Banbridge are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Good idea for public confidence, I just hope they do it right and not half assed. The network is there though if you know what you are doing.

I drove Dublin to Knock airport on Friday and back again Sunday, 210kms each way, started at 75% battery, arrived with about 15%, topped back to 80% in 25 mins at Charlestown 4kms from the airport, arrived home with 10% yesterday

50 odd KWHs pulled in 25 mins

I was the only person charging there were 4 CCS and 4 chademo points

There are plenty of EVs with better range than mine as well, I think 420kms took 130% of my battery capacity and I wasn't holding back speed. If I did it in the Cupra I'd say it would be much the same story with charging

I think most modern EVs could make it one way at least and many could even make it back, I used the fat etron, I'd say the newer etron could do it with bigger battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭65535

I was thinking recently about 'Petrol Stations/Filling Stations/Garages' - with the uptake in EV's, how long will it be before they feel the pinch so to speak - a lot of Stations could do with installing one or even a two bay charging area.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Fastned are installing a hub at Banbridge, it won't be long until Banbridge has 12 chargers at Fastned, and 8 BP Pulse chargers (4 Newry Road, 4 at The Boulevard)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think at a lot of stations especially rural where I am, fuel is secondary. Many cars are parked up, customers in the Hair dresser, dog groomer, shop, etc. I find it often more convenient if need milk etc to run in, rather than a small detour to supermarket or other shop. I know it is more expensive, but they are often more convenient.

So cannot see the business model changing much, save for a few chargers if space available.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭crl84

I think they were talking about having a motorway between Cork and Limerick :)

The Dub-Belfast route is pretty well serviced now, mostly on the NI side. Pity that the Applegreen in Castlebellingham isn't open to non-Teslas (empty pretty much all the time) , and Applegreen can't/won't put in more than one unit.

For people travelling from Belfast/NI to somewhere south/west of Dublin, there's several spots around the m50 now too.

As said above, most motorways are reasonably well serviced with chargers, but the problem is there's lots of locations with just one or two units. What we need is a few locations with 10+ spaces and 5+ 150kW minimum charger units. The 10-bay SSE hub with 150kW chargers in Mullingar that will hopefully open soon is an example of what we need more of on the motorway network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Yea the applegreen situation at castlebellingham is a joke.plenty of empty Tesla chargers and one AG fast charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I waited 1.5 hours to charge there the Sunday before last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's a big joke unless you are a Tesla customer. We used to frequent the site between 2015-2018 when our main car was a 24 kWh LEAF and it's pretty amazing that the number of chargers is still just grand total of one there. Funnily enough that site was really the thing that got us to eventually thinking of buying a Model 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Motorway chargers are all great, but Ireland has thousands of KMs of roads and loads of tourist attractions that are more than 50-60kms away from the nearest motorway (120km+ round trip) and have very sparce charging infrastructure.

They don't need to be 150kw rapid chargers, just enough juice to be able to get to somewhere like the Cliffs of Moher, top up by enough power to be able to get you another 100kms within a reasonable length of time if you're stuck

Once you get to Ennis, which is a major gateway to the Burren and the biggest tourist attraction in Ireland (the cliffs of Moher) there is a single 'rapid charger' (a single 50kwh ESB charger in Ennis) and one more in Lahinch, and that's basically it. If Either of those two chargers are out of order or being used when you get to them, you could be in for a long wait.

Neither charger are in central locations either, so you're hanging around a car park for an hour waiting for the thing to charge or to become available.

A lot of Irish tourism is based on scenic drives along the west coast (wild atlantic way) and these roads are basically charger free zones, so if you want to encourage BEVs there needs to be a strategy to get the infrastructure along these routes to support charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I wonder why they are announcing this now. Would it not be better to announce it after the upcoming elections so that people don't get confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I fully agree. Any attraction where you spend 1 hr+ like the Cliffs should just have a bank of sufficient number of 11 kW charging points. And the sufficiency of the "sufficient number" should be reviewed regularly. We visited the Eden Project in Cornwall a couple of years ago and it was handy to have a several days worth of electricity in the car while visiting there. The convinience was immense.

It's one place restaurants could really jump onto as well

Nobby and Bob Flavin did a video a while ago about taking an ID.7 and Audi A6 (I think) from Dublin to the Cliffs of Mother and back

They ended up stopping for lunch in a pub on the way back and using a 50kW charger

It was a bit of a mixed experience since the Ecars charger was giving trouble and not charging at full power. So typical SPOF DC charger definitely not good

On the flip side, they said if they hadn't needed to charge the EV, they probably would have just driven past and gotten some greasy motorway services food while filling the diesel car

Instead they got a relaxing lunch

So it'd be great to see more DC charging at places you might want to stop for lunch, possibly after visiting an attraction nearby

However, it has to be more than one charger, which is a big enough investment

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LightHugger

It's the same story in most of the areas that are popular for staycations. The peninsulas of Cork & Kerry, North Clare, Connemara, North Mayo & Rural Donegal are all devoid of decent charging infrastructure. Holidaying for a week or two in those places is not a very attractive proposition for EV owners.

Didn't a hotel in Mayo recently install a bunch of AC chargers?

There's actually a reasonable amount of hotels with EV charging now, although the majority still seem to avoid it

This is where apps like Plugshare are really useful for finding hotel chargers. Hopefully as more hotels attract EV driving holidaymakers then their competitors will install chargers to stay relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ev fan

On breaking news article 131 new charging stations by end of 2025 plus grants stay the same for 2025. Good News!

Post edited by liamog at

The new charging stations will be on the M1 at Junction 18, Ballymascanlon, Co Louth; on the M7 at Junction 17 Portlaoise Plaza; at Junction 27 Birdhill and Junction 23 Barack Obama Plaza; and on the M4 at Junction 7, Maynooth and Junction 15 Mullingar.

On the M11, there will be a new hub at Junction 16 Rathnew, Co Wikclow, while on the M8, new hubs will be added at Junction 12 Ennis Plaza and Junction 4 Clondrinagh, Co Limerick. On the M7 the new facilities will be at Junction 20 at the Tuam Plaza.

On the M6 it will be at Junction 16 Galway Plaza, and Junction 15 Ballinasloe. The M9 will get new hubs at Junction 7 Paulstown and Junction 2-3 Kilcullen. On the M3 they will be at Junction 6 Dunshauglin and Junction 9 Navan Retail Park, and on the M2 at Junction 4 at the Pillo Hotel in Ashbourne.

The 131 high-power recharging points will provide 24,260 kilowatts (24 megawatts) of additional recharging capacity.

• Advertisement

"A second grant scheme concentrating on national roads is expected to open later this year."

Advertisement