Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION - 4TH JULY

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you might speculate how many people in the UK might be unwilling to present themselves at council offices (and indeed, to vote at all) given this is a country with a recent past (and indeed, ongoing practice) of deporting or threatening to deport people who have been living there legally for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Randycove

back up what, the ID required, the Tower Hamlets election fraud or my proposal that maybe electoral personation is difficult to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭vswr

There has been huge suspicion on impersonation for decades, people using votes of people who can't be arsed voting, or people using the "vote by proxy" mechanism, and not voting for the person who was supposed to be voted for.

The very nature of the UK voting system means its very very difficult to prove someone did either above (you show (non-photo) ID,but your ballot paper is anonymous…. you would need a centre with CCTV (which most don't) to even show a person was there to begin with.

This was supported by various social media posts during the Brexit and 2019 General election, of people bragging about voting twice, people voting for a different person in the by proxy method etc… it was inevitable the government were going to respond when you have people openly mocking the system.

OAP passes are government issued and tied to their pension, student bus/rail ones aren't (and are piss easy to doctor). It's that simple.

I hope you had this amount of anger when Government photo ID was required in NI elections since 2003?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Serious question. have you ever voted in England or Wales (obviously NI is different, because photo id has been a requirement there for over 20 years).

You quite literally get something through the letter box, take it to a polling station and vote. At least here we are expected to take a secondary document, even if it is something like a debit card with your name on. In England it was zero, just a bit of paper that dropped through your letterbox and may or may not have been addressed to you.

8 people registered at your address? Great, 8 chances to vote for the same person, albeit you need to make 8 trips to the polling booth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

National Service?

That should mobilise the young vote.

Rishi you genius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

good oul, switch bait… save a thought for NI and their photographic requirements since 2003…

1 like = 1 prayer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,602 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Because the reason for Voter ID was never about enhancing the validity of the vote. JRM himself said it was about gerrymandering the vote. So we know from someone within government what the purpose of it was.

So you can discuss the pros and cons of the need for voter ID all you want, but the party that brought it in did not do it for any of the reasons that you care claiming. They did it purely on the basis that they felt that older people (their democrafic voter) would be less impacted nd as such have a positive effect on their vote share.

• Advertisement

Ghost voters is actually more common than you might think.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1176591/Tory-councillor-jailed-using-ghost-voters-rig-local-election.html

you can take the extra 2 minutes to add a free Vote cert when signing up to the electoral register, as any new voter would need to do anyway.

Or fill out the form separately in 2 mins if you haven't any valid photo ID and will be posted to you in 2 weeks… or you can get it there and then in the council office.

there were loads of people posting on social media during the Brexit and 2019 General Election bragging about voting twice, using neighbours vote, or changing someones vote by proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

Photo ID would not necessarily remove voter fraud even if that was the intention. Anyone determined to commit voter fraud can get fake ID.

The issue is that voter fraud targets a key demographic of the political wing you don't support. It's quite telling that voter fraud allegations come in lock step with a campaign by a president who tried to steal an election by falsely claiming electoral fraud in an election in the USA, a real and serious electoral abuse.

it’s like Rishi has become determined to destroy the Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭scottser

National Service, eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, hard to tell if they're floundering or if he's just given up caring. who managed to convince him on the national service idea?

it’s his way of sorting out the broken youth.

Personally, I think all young people should engage in civi or volunteering work, something that can help them develop skills beyond schools. I’m a big fan of Gaische and the uk equivalent. But it should not be forced on people, it is something their parents need to get them to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Rishi Sunak's regime/the Tories in general has run out of rope …. it has in recent years been threatening to pass the Rubicon from normal to far right with its recent policies …. reading Prophet Song reminds me of them …. compulsory military service being re-introduced is a big no for me …. at first it would be a watered-down version like proposed but then it would be made into real compulsory military service bit by bit …. Sunak is one of the most vocal scaremongers when it comes to WW3 …. scaremongering which suits his dreams of a more militarised country …..

War is big industry and this here is the problem …. too many European leaders are talking loosely of war and that is wrong …. too anxious to get over involved in the Ukraine civil war …. and basing their propaganda on comparing the situation to WW2 and pointing towards might bes regarding what Putin could do after Ukraine …. it would do people good to remember that these are from the minds of Western leaders and not Putin ….. and are part of many European countries' ideological move towards the hard right …. we need to dial down this warmongering scaremongering rhetoric and concentrate on positives in countries ….

Sunak and the Tories do not deserve to be the next UK govt …. they have been in power way too long and have nothing positive left to offer …. their tenure since 2016 has been a total mess with Brexit, Covid, and now this scaremongering and warmongering ….. get them OUT now ….

• Registered Users Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What I don't undertand is that, if these things are so important, why they **** are they NOT teaching them IN schools BEFORE the kids leave??

Also, in the UK, do kids still do "gap years" in order to, well…. do what they actually might want to do wit their lives and not what the State forces them to do? Are they taking that away as well? Yay, freedom…. * punches are sarcastically *

I honestly think we need a UK version of "'Murica!"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No .. the perspective from those who say no to war …. what business has Sunak and other West European leaders in Ukraine or Russia ?? … the same think tanks that bring us this mentality brought us the Iraq war and tried to deliver the Iran war too …. say no to war ….

If you say no to war then you should roundly condem Putin for starting yet another.

the UK has never had the equivalent of transition as far as I am aware. Kids leave secondary school at 16, after their GCSEs and can either go out to work, stay on for sixth form or go to college.

Transition is something different though - gap year is year taken between finishing secondary school and starting third level. Sometimes it's used for vocation, sometimes for travel or the stuff that would be covered by transition.

Putin should not have started that war either …. Ukraine should not be the battleground of Russia v NATO ….. I condemn all wars …. I do not support Putin or NATO or any side in any of these wars …. I certainly do not support escalating it or scaremongering about it ….. I get the feeling certain entities are trying to get the general public on side in expectation of a coming escalation of wars ….. and many around Europe would just follow the likes of Trump and his planned illegal war on Iran blindly and all …. Putin, Trump, Sunak, Netanyahu are ALL part of the same mentality …. and are part of the problem …. treating Putin differently to the rest does not cut much ice either …. ALL warmongers are the same and need to be regarded as the same whether that is the invasion of Iraq in 2003, Ukraine in 2014-date, Palestine in 2023 or the planned invasion of Iran under Trump …. not one good thing has or will come out of any of this evil …

a gap year is great, if parents can afford it. Taking a year out to swan around the world on mammys credit card is something completely different though.

• Advertisement

Yeah…. that's not what a gap year is either…

Advertisement