Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup final thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

By that logic, we would all support Leinster in every game including against our home province because them winning is good for the ireland team, because they have most of the players.

There's either a difference between club and country, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Leinster and Ireland are different things, vastly,

you don’t see United fans cheering for Liverpool in Europe because they have English players

We had Clermont fans with us in the ground cheering for Leinster because that’s how rivalry works.

Some Leinster fans are the only who have this need to be loved, it makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Are refs performances reviewed? It's unbelievable how bad they were

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's all rather immature IMHO. 'Hating' and revelling in the defeat of others. It doesn't reflect well on the individual. Although it makes it easier to separate the wheat from the chaff in regard to some posters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

For a second there I read that as Victor Matfield. I was like WTH is syd going on about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, of course they are. They are obviously not made public.

I will readily admit I don't really understand why Carley gets any high priority matches as I think he is just a pretty poor ref but c'est la vie. My Luke Pearce fanboyism will just have to take a backseat to those who make the actual decisions.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This "why isn't everyone supporting Leinster" stuff is mind numbing. Why does anyone even care about this? Drop it and move on, bring the discussion back to the game please.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i certainly wouldn't be saying that to Matfields face 😂

speaking of legends, emile ntamack was out and about with fans over the weekend, and that guy is still ridiculous ripped !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Not Sure anyones mentioned hating have they? I just dont support leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The sad reality it that it would have been reviewed and a good chance of a red if Doris had stayed down. At what stage do players start staying down football style if these aren’t picked up by the officials? I’d suspect Liam Williams for example would probably have chosen not to get up if he had been in the same situation. Interesting to see if this will be cited.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Comparing rugby to soccer is a bad start. Rugby is a game where it's expected that everybody has respect for one another.

Thats the difference. I'm over 40 years following, and playing for 23, rugby and there was never any of this shouting for a foreign team against an Irish team. This is a new enough thing and these people were not rugby first people is my guess. They came from playing and/or supporting other sports and brought this hate element with them. We don't need that in rugby.

With the utmost respect, go back to those other sports if you want to act that way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I find myself deeply sanguine about these kind of things. It would be one thing if it caused Doris to go off, but I just struggle to get too het up about a missed decision that ultimately didn't impact the game. "We would have won if they got a red card in the 1st minute" isn't an interesting hypothetical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carleys performance added to the spectacle!!! Go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gneel

Rewatching it, I'm amazed that after that Dan Sheehan break, firstly that Roumat sticking his hand out is considered a fair attempt to catch the ball. It's a fully extended straight arm and hits it down. He doesn't even juggle it. Secondly, it's not considered a knock-on, although that is more marginal but it's clear to me that the ball goes forward from his hands then bounces backwards. Add that it's a potential try scoring opportunity. Yellow card all day imo. Very lucky. If you remove Roumat altogether if after his foul play, there's even an argument for a penalty try but it's tenuous as there is cover. I'm biased though of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Is it ? Sport is sport. Every team sport has rivalry that what their neighbours to lose. Are you telling us rugby is the exception ? Lol. Hurling, Gaelic football, soccer, rugby league, Aussie rules, basketball. It's actually of the DNA of team sport and tbh I find it hard to believe if you played at any sort of competitive level in any sport you would want your closest neighbours to do better than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It was never part of rugby. The inter pros back in the day were brutal, physical encounters but afterwards we all shook hands and were friends again. We didn't care about any other matches the other teams had and if we met somebody playing in one we'd wish them the best of luck.

In the stands there was a little bit of jibe but it was always respectful.

So yes I'm saying it was never part of rugby.

Rugby values is generally rose tinted nostslgi and is used selectivly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

If it was a knock-on, then it would have been a yellow. It was knocked back (even though it was forward in relation to the momentum of the player), so there's nothing wrong with it. Still wouldn't have been surprised if it was called as a knock-on, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

I reckon they would have got around giving the red in the same way they did with Porter against Retallick in NZ. They would have found a way to say it was a soak tackle, as Doris had all the momentum, and the tackler's feet were planted before impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

If there’s ever a time where you might not get carded for a challenge like that, it’s probably in the first few phases of a final. If it was seen it would have been a tough moment for Carley.

It’s further evidence of how small the margins were. If Leinster got even just a penalty there, they clear their lines and probably don’t go 3-0 down so early. As it was, they cleared to half way and Toulouse won a penalty and kicked the 3 from the subsequent lineout in which they had the throw in.

On another day that tackle is called and Leinster get a shot for 3 (more than likely would have been turned down) or Roumat is binned for his slap down of the Sheehan pass or McCarthy is awarded a try as Ntamack striped the ball from Jenkins which isn’t a knock on in the laws.

I’m sure Toulouse will have had similar moments where the call didn’t go their way. It was a superb game full of drama. Not sure I’ll ever watch it again though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gneel

I'll agree to disagree. Everyone is wrong and I am right. At the very least, it wasn't a realistic attempt to catch the ball but it was also a knock-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

If, as an example, Kerry were playing Dublin in the All Ireland final, and you were a Cork supporter, would you rather see a Munster team or a Leinster team win ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

A friend of mine is steeped in GAA, loves his own club & Limerick hurling. When another club for the county got through to the club championship finals, I asked him about going, his reply, he couldn't give two flying fcuks.

This must support another team is nonsense, some do, some don't, others blow it out of all proportion

• As I said in my post, I don't actually expect support, or care hugely if others don't 'support' Leinster in finals.

What I have an issue with is the people who are goading and gloating about Leinster's loss - that's entirely different from simply not "supporting" them, and I 100% feel if the shoe was on the other foot, then the reaction and response to it on here would be different too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’ve been a long time supporter of Leinster and Irish rugby, I’d never expect supporters of another team or province to jump in behind the blue and give the full weight of their support.
    I do however think it’s beyond the pale to actively support literally any other team that plays against us and revel in our misery when we lose.
    Bitterness and bile have no place in the sport and having a pint and some fun with opposition fans is what makes our sport great to follow and travel with.
    The first time I came across hatred in the sport was in Edinburgh in ‘09 and I was quite taken aback at how forceful the feeling of hatred was. I was left in no doubt at the time that it came from a sense of entitlement from that cohort who had travelled despite their team not being in the final.
    Every group of supporters has their fair share of ersewholes but if I’m being honest, that cohort and their descendants from ‘09 seem to do bitterness and bile at a rate far greater than any other set of fans I’ve met.
    That being said, they’re still well outnumbered by the sound ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Advertisement