Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Yeah, it's classified. It's not that much of a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Inviere

By classifying it, you're acknowleding its existence...

The ship, sure, yeah, makes sense there's classified tech out there being field tested.

Section 31 on board in public view advertising the fact they exist yet don't exist? Hmm...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

yeah, but if they don’t exist why the black comm badges. It makes zero sense. ZERO

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

The Greatest Generation podcast have just finished up Voyager and are starting Enterprise next week.

I might start watching the show along with them, an episode a week. I don't remember loving it by any means but it's been a while, and the podcast is always good.

https://maximumfun.org/podcasts/greatest-generation/

I put on one episode of DS9 earlier while for background noise, I think I'm six or seven episodes in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You know what would be cool? If AI could be used in a way to bring all Star Trek characters to life. Imagine being able to ask the character any question you wanted. I would ask Worf who was the biggest threat the Borg or the Dominion and who scared him more.

Which character would you ask a question to and what about?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I'm thinking exactly the same thing.

I did not enjoy Enterprise at the time but I am happy to have another look now and will probably match my viewing to the Greatest Generation episodes as they happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I did a rewatch of Enterprise a few years back. There are some rough episodes, and I was never a massive fan of the Xindi story, but there are some pretty good episodes in there that I started putting on the random Trek episode while cooking rotation. Also when I saw the Season 5 plan for the refit version of that ship I was quite disappointed not to have seen it in the show.

I feel Enterprise, a little like Voyager, benefits greatly from an increased cadance of watching....ie, one episode a week doesn't really play to the strengths of the show. It feels slow, lumbering, and boring at times. Switching up to a few eps a week, for me anyway, allows the show a bit of momentum and it's far more enjoyable that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think streaming certainly helped for season 3 anyway. Enjoyed it a lot watching the episodes mostly back to back whereas I lost interest first time round. (Similarly for DS9 as a whole).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Holly Hunter has been cast as the lead in the upcoming Starfleet Academy series

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Prequel film in the works as well.

Simon Kinberg in Talks to Produce ‘Star Trek’ Prequel Film

The “Star Trek” prequel will also be produced by J.J. Abrams, who has overseen all “Star Trek” movies through Bad Robot since 2009’s “Star Trek,” which he directed…

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Wow a prequel.

I have been thinking for ages now it's time someone tried to do a Star Trek prequel.

Is this yet another prequel film done by JJ but one that isn't set in the JJ-verse? Jesus, there's a question to ask...shows what a toilet they've made of movie Trek. Diluted to the point of apathy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

A prequel to **** what, like? A prequel to the TNG era? TOS? The JJ Films? Strange New Worlds? Enterprise?

Can't wait to meet Spock's cousin or some crap though.

If it's a JJ prequel then it's technically prime universe unless it's in the tiny slip of time between the Kelvin incident and the JJ movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Another prequel and it'll just be the present! That's the last place I want to be!!

SNW went a fantastically long way towards convincing me that the greatest TV show of all time still has life left but the dilution of it since the now, rightly, more appreciated VOY days has been terrible.

Ms

Paramount are hoping for this new film to be released in 2025. Not a hope unless they mean Christmas 25. I think 2026 would be better in time for the 60th anniversery of Star Trek.

Still there has been a lot of false starts so I will not believe this is happening untill I see some real movements.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I genuinely couldn't care less at this stage. With JJ at the helm, I think his track record in terms of Trek is well established....it's highly likely to be a flashy, shiny, shallow film that could be called Space Adventure 5 and nobody would ever realise it's a Star Trek film. It'll be a watch and forget movie, just like all of the other ones he's done.

I'd love to be wrong, but past performance doesn't inspire me. This could have been a real opportunity to grow the franchise and finally give things some momentum.

Imagine SNW on TV was building towards a big finale with a banger of a final season, and it was going to end as a big screen adventure with a well respected cast and writers at the helm....one that had actual weight to it....or any other myriad of possibilities that'd make a great film....nope, JJ to the rescue.

Having gotten through the guts of Season 1 this week, I am in agreement with this.

I found the first couple of episodes a slog, but it's not as bad as I remember .

The Greatest Generation lads referred to Tucker as Chief Engineer George W Bush and now I can't unsee it. It's uncanny

• Advertisement
    Ms

Really? If you mean "Broken Bow" as in the first couple of episodes I thought that was a great way to start Enterprise and a great two parter. I remember thinking at the time (Wow that was great. Can't wait to see what comes next). Enterprise had hit the ground running but yes after that its like they ran out of steam and it just slowed to walking speed for a while with the odd bit of jogging along the way and then by season 3 Enterprise was in a stride and by season 4 was running again. Such a pity season 5 never happened it would have been flying by then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I like the way SFDebris calls Mayweather "Travis 'I've been to space you know' Mayweather"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Forgot it second time round watching but now that you mention it, the original run of Enterprise was during Dubya's presidency and I remember not being able to unsee it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Ms

Anyone here watch that "Atlas" film on Netfliks? It's not bad anyway the only thing it has similar with Star Trek is the Warp jump and in warp view.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the Motion Picture for what must have been the first time in years: I actually came out of it with a something of a reassessment, stopping short at it becoming something I outright enjoyed. It was still unbelievably slow to the point of tedium, yet you could see the small shoots of the kind of Trek we'd see later with TNG onwards - and basically came to inform what we now consider "Star Trek".

The costumes remained abominations.

Its one of my favourites now (except the uniforms)

I think I have come to really appreciate it for being slow after the last 15 years of "Too Trek Too Furious". Other than the uniforms it was the best Trek has been in terms of overall style and art direction and the plot manages to be interesting and "world ending" without being some over the top villain with a doomsday device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I didn’t mind the TMP costumes as much myself. They seemed like an interesting transition from the TOS uniform to the classic Movie-era uniform. I think Phase 2 were even just going to use a slightly updated TOS uniform before it got turned into the movie.

However, I kind of wish they stuck with the admiral uniform Kirk wears at Starfleet Command. I liked that one, I feel that they should have rolled that out to the whole cast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Problem was, slow is all well and good but when the script kept hammering home how close V'Ger was getting to Earth and that TIME WAS OFF THE ESSENCE, those luxuriating 6, 7 minutes spent flying around the Enterprise, or watching the interior of V'Ger crawl by? It kinda kept upending the tone, and testing my tolerance. You crib but a 90 minute edit would be an interesting experiment.

As it is with any onesie, it only invites the obvious question about how one goes to the toilet.

• Advertisement

I just cannot get on board with the costumes. They're unforgivable.

I don't like much of the movie era costumes but the motion picture stuff was the worst of 70s awfulness.

Advertisement