Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2fm - New schedule coming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

That doesn't happen at all. I've worked on the agency side. Agencies don't care about content, they care about the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

ive two in their early 20's and a 19 year old. radio doesnt exist in their world, nor in their friends. You tube 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, my nephew is 18 and the first thing he says if he gets into the car with me is "can I connect?" meaning his phone to Bluetooth to play Spotify. He does not consider the radio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm curious as to why Beta De Silva's new music show doesn't seem to come up in conversation?

Is it cos he black?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Shan Doras

Can anyone explain of how on earth the jnlrs can come up with the figure of 70% of 15/34s listening to 2 hours of FM radio a day ? Even back in the late 00s which is almost 20 years ago, I remember the majority of young people that I knew had abandoned radio in favour of the iPod

I've never listened to him on the 8pm weeknight slot but I did get to hear him on weekend breakfast about 2 years ago and he had the same 2 or 3 links as all the other weekend DJs, Hey what are you doing for the weekend? We have a 100€ just eat voucher to give away, text me 51552. I shouted at the radio, is this all Paul Russell has taught them

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ZaK23-54

let’s call it as it is please..

Would RTÉ Gold with a full schedule reach more listeners per hour than 2FM if it were on FM?

Yes, RTE Gold on 90/92FM would take off like a rocket but would never get ministerial approval

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boardsuser1000

How many people in the 15-34 age group work in an office/shop/factory with a radio on in the background. Strictly speaking they are listing to the radio but really it is just background noise to get rid of awkward silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

Interesting. I have nieces and nephews who are younger but they don't listen to the radio either. If I'm carrying any of them in the car, the first thing they do is reach for my phone and stream music from that (they don't have their own phones yet). It would make you wonder why anybody on 2FM is even bothering to pay expensive presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

I thought he would drop too, Dermot was the funny one and did the good features.

Tbf Dave isn't up against much at that time slot nationally so will always win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The latest rumour is that Jim Nugent, who left in 2010, could be returning to the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I liked him as Rick O'Shea's side kick in the afternoon on 2FM.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Same. I spent a very enjoyable summer years ago driving around Ireland listening to that show in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭yagan

I think we can all agree that radio is not the primary medium of young content consumers like it once was.

I can remember in the pre internet days hearing a song on the radio and then eagerly heading into town to try to track down a physical copy. The act of acquirement was in itself a social gathering, heading on for drinks afterwards etc…

Half of the joy was discovery. The internet has kinda crushed that whimsical adventure.

This ad illustrates how much of our time hanging out in town was just browsing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭squonk

same. Those days of seeking out music are gone. Really you can’t even have a song going round your head anymore trying to hear it again to find out what it is. Tech has killed all that. I’d love to hear an 18 yr old on here talking about what radio means now to them and their generation in general. It has certainly changed utterly from my experience listening as an 18 yr old over 30 years ago. I don’t know and think I’ll never figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭RINO87

Beta's show is quite good. I'm not a regular listener but I would often pop him on when Feekna is sitting in for Creedo.

At 37, I'm a bit passed the target market I'd say, but what I've heard is quite good. He plays loads of new Irish music, with a good back story to accompany new artists and how to find more of their stuff. Other than that it's mostly "that was, this is" style of presentation with none of that "OMG lads the seagulls, text us in if you ever had a chip stolen by a seagull" type nonsense.

It feels like everything is compressed and immediate, and I can imagine an 18 year old not getting any of what we're talking about.

However I reckon they'll feel as confused and perturbed about wars in Ukraine and Palestine like I once was about Bosnia and Rwanda.

Some things change, others don't.

• Advertisement

What do you guys think of this newish thing of music radio stations asking for and using WhatsApp voice notes from listeners?

Yeah If I was 2FM I would look to have this across the board. You may not get everyone but you are support many others. There are plenty of other radio stations doing much of the Daytime stuff that 2FM do, why compete in a small market that is even small for the demographic.

In saying that you can't be snobby about the music you play or the presenters you have, but you can have a balance.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭GSF

I was in Luton at the weekend and it was full of teenagers at the Radio 1 big weekend so radio isn’t completely dead amongst teenagers ( or at least it doesn’t have to be if it’s done right)

So you're saying they should bring back the beat on the street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭GSF

no not necessarily. I guess Rte can’t get involved in concert weekends after the Toy Show musical disaster as they can’t be trusted not to run up a multi million liability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Scrap the whole 2fm project and replace it with RTE Gold!

• Advertisement

From having been exposed to Radio 1 when working in England I think music rather than chat being the central focus is the point.

I have LyricFM on all the time because it's mostly music. Scanning the dial while driving gets me either wall to wall 80s, Irish C&W or narcistic Dublin=Ireland non stop chat. My knowledge and appreciation of classical music has expanded in proportion to the void of music everywhere else on the dial.

Initially music was a primary focus of 2FM, chatting about youth issues expanded via Gerry Ryan show etc.. then teenagers became young adults, and then middled aged….. Radio 1 seems to keep stay focused on whatever music is relevant to a defined demographic remit, whereas 2FM keeps patronising its audience from the 90s as if it's the only audience that matters.

Not to mention the backlash from promoters who have to pay for advertising their gigs.

There was protestations from the main panto show producers and venues at the time of the Toy Show Musical who rightly said their business was being undermined by subsidized competition.

An interesting fact was mentioned in a Sunday business post article, Spin1038 has just the one producer working across their entire schedule from 7am till Midnight whereas 2fm has a minimum of 3 different people "behind the scenes" on each individual show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'll presume you're being facetious.

Everyone in this forum seems to be 40+ years of age, so his show is not geared towards them. He's a competent presenter, improving all the time, who selects some great music and champions young Irish artists… it's not a primetime slot and Beta hasn't announced he's leaving, so you would imagine it will stay as is as part of the new schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

He doesn’t play AC/DC, Steely Dan or Fleetwood Mac so obviously not to the liking of a lot of the pale, male and stake crew who think 2FM should become another station playing dad rock.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Advertisement

Outside Leinster, there are no Dad Rock radio stations on the FM waveband.

They could easily syndicate, a shorter show, 4-6 perhaps on all regional radio stations, and all from the comfort of their homebase rather than having to show face in Dublin.

They're been a perfect illustration of how the internet has decentralised national broadcasting, which mean RTE really shouldn't be competing at all in the light interment realm.

Tracy Clifford deserves the vacant seat at the breakfast show table I think. She's been on afternoons for eight and a half years now, and I think promoting her would be a good alternative to an external hiring.

Post edited by its_steve116 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Isn’t their producer just on the breakfast show? The music presenters have no producer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭RINO87

Aifric and Andrew probably most likely to get drivetime come to think of it, at least for summer anyway.....while they figure out where Ferg goes.

All 3 were filler on drivetime over Christmas and were not the worst. Andrew sounds a bit "community radio" to me, but as I said before I'm not the target market (at 37, I would like to think I should be, but hey ho).

I like Aifric as a sidekick/producer, was never too fond of her own shows.

Ferghal sounds much much better, and with a better playlist on 2fm than he did towards tge end of his tine on Today fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

they should try and get some of the old sound of 2FM back - how about they start sprinkling the crap playlist of todays songs with 2-3 rarely heard 80s/90s songs each hour on each show and not just as a "throwback" feature

It literally came up and I replied to a post about it.

No correction I was replying to someone who replied to that post, but I had been thinking about his show on almost all of the occasions that I have post here.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Colm and Jim Jim brings backs memories.

Jims Jims dad was a real tough one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Could will Leahy return? Was popular about 10 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭squonk

We’re going around in circles. We’re all too old to really figure it out. Even boards isn’t an 18 year olds platform so there’ll be none on here to enlighten us either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I think that might be the problem. Everyone had an idea of what 2FM should be come. TalkSports, Youth and Classic Hits!

Why not look at it from what's new rather than what's young or a particular demographic.

Remember even with the pirate stations 2FM was competing with a very different sound, perhaps that is the problem they are competing in that Cool yuff sound that never really existed.

There are 18 - 25 who want to listen to podcasts/radio about new music and interviews with the current set of Stars, but I'd say there was always a lot more who are not and never were interested in listening to a Dave Fanning type, now they don't have to listen to talkMusic radio they can go on Spotify and just listen to their own playlist.

And while we all might be getting older, TBH, its what we are all doing.

What Irish Radio Station did you listen to yesterday? What show? What presenter?

The 2FM presenters seem to think they are well known, I would offer that nobody is well known anymore, Streaming killed the radio / tv / video star.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

Well, 2FM has always been a bit of this and that in its time, Jazz programmes, discussion shows, Folk music shows - as a kid i avoided it as it had a bang of ANCO radio off of it and the pirates were much better - although i seem to remember their saturday afternoon music/sports show being good in the early 80s.

Today its the still a bit muddled. Standard chart driven pop most of the day, a sports how, Jen Z kinda-sorta-gerry ryan show, new music show, EDM in the evenings. Dan Healy wants to go after the spin audience but spin works because its the same stuff no matter what time you tune in most of the time, 2fm is going after both the spin and Today FM audience i think but they are not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

You also had Irish music shows, which in the case of Alan Corcoran was heavily orientated towards country; a heavy metal show; albums-oriented shows and Dial A Number One (with songs from previous decades).

That Saturday afternoon music/sports show in the early 1980s was presented by Michael McNamara (later reinventing himself as Mickey Mac!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dave Redmond

Radio is doing pretty good with our youth given the choice of media that's available.

2FM needs a rethink on target audience given the population of Ireland is 5.5 million.

8 regional/city youth stations eating out of the same pie. 660k plus population of 15 to 24 year olds in Ireland. Crazy! 1.4 million 25 to 44 year olds.

There's a very easy solution to 2fm's woes.

Post edited by Dave Redmond on

I get that the breakfast show presenter and the two Johnnies had their own thing going long before 2fm but I would have thought that the 2fm/RTE work would have been Jennifer Zamparelli's bread and butter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Will Lottie Ryan ever leave 2FM? All around her are moving on to new opportunities and she seems content to just rot away on some awful late shift show. She's a very unambitious girl. I know it's just nepotism how she got the job but she's not even attempting to do anything different with her career.

• Advertisement

I am fairly certain that just after the back lash of her using RTÉ property to promote a car she moved to being a member of staff. Or I am fairly certain that this has been reported.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement