Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The Israeli ambassador in Ireland Dana Elrich who is currently in Israel having been recalled is threatening Ireland that Israeli investors won’t invest in tech in Ireland due to the Irish government’s recognition of Palestine.

The USA and the UK need to grow a pair and start standing up to this disgusting Israeli regime. The world must act in unison and turn on this Israeli government, issue sanctions against them, treat them like Apartheid South Africa. They should be thrown out of the Olympics, thrown out of international football and every other international sport. Hamas of course an equally despicable regime but the idea that this Israel government thinks that they can threaten us with pulling investment or whatever needs to be firmly rammed down their throats. This is just the beginning. Turn the screw on them until they start to behave themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I'd forgotten about that. I got impression the threat to Israel was coming from elsewhere than Gaza now?

(Unless media reporting on it have this wrong) it is first rocket fire deep into Israel Hamas has managed for a long time.

IMO, that would have made it somewhat significant. I'd say it is likely Israelis had tabs on any Hamas leaders they targetted for a while (Gaza must be the most surveilled location on the Earth), just decided now was a good time to do the trade of killing some random "animals" to get the Hamas members as response to the rockets.

It certainly sends a strong message to likes of the ICJ, ICC etc. as well (f-ck you, f-ck your statements, your "laws" etc, we do what we want!).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nonsense. You don't think Israel's going to care about sanctions? Or that, if in fact they happen, they'll happen in a timely way?

Hamas could return hostages and surrender. That could happen in a few days. Much faster solution.

So, Ireland can bluster but Israel can't. Good to know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ireland is not responsible for the deaths of over 40000 people in the last 16 years, the displacement of 2million, injury to over 200,000 and deliberate starvation of 1million plus

So no, israel does not get a free pass on bluster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Total in that last attack has risen -

"At least 45 people have been killed,
    including women and children, in an Israeli air strike on a camp for
    displaced Palestinians in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, the Hamas-run
    health ministry says.

Videos from the scene in the Tal al-Sultan area on Sunday night showed a large explosion and intense fires burning."

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c0kkqkngnedo

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

You must have missed my question on the last page. Do you think Israel has the right to commit war crimes because Hamas hasn't surrendered?

Netanyahu says deadly Rafah airstrike a 'tragic mishap'

Benjamin Netanyahu has described the deadly Israeli airstrike on a camp for displaced Palestinians in the southern Gaza city of Rafah as a “tragic mishap”.

“We are investigating the case, that is our policy,” Netanyahu said in a speech at the Knesset on Monday, Haaretz reported.

The Israeli leader added that “for us, every uninvolved [being hurt] is a tragedy,” it added. He claimed the incident occurred “despite our best efforts not to hurt them”.

Tens of thousands of tragedies. You'd think one might change tack after the first ten or ten thousand.

They're really taking the piss bombing people in tents and then saying they made an effort not to hurt them. If this was any other country, they'd never get away with bombing hospitals and refugees to get a target. Sure wouldn't anywhere in America be a valid target if any soldier was out shopping or at the cinema.

What Israel is arguing is the equivalent of saying this hospital ship is completely valid target for a country at war with America. Their logic is you could sink the ship as long as you kill a Colonel.

I have no idea how the world is standing by and being fooled into this entirely new notion that you can bomb whatever you want in order to get a target. The rules are being thrown out and now the ICC and ICJ have lost all purpose. This hypocrisy and rules that only apply to enemies will have repercussions lasting decades.

No one has the 'right' to commit war crimes. Was someone granting them this right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Al-Tamimi is retconned into just an innocent journalist these days I'm sure.

Do you approve of Israel's use of war crimes in its fight with Hamas since they haven't surrendered yet?

Until Hamas surrenders, neither Hamas nor Israel should commit war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It's what the US has been effectively doing for the last few decades.

Really? I think that's a matter of opinion, that the US has been 'granting a right to commit war crimes.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭political analyst

Then contrast between , in the past 100 years, the number of Jews who've been murdered in antisemitic crimes throughout the world with the number of Palestinians who've been killed in violent incidents - in wars and in massacres by some Israeli Jews.

In the Middle East, most Arabs who are killed in wars are killed by other Arabs and most Muslims who are killed in those wars are killed by other Muslims.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We are talking about a conflict between Israel and Palestine.

If you want to introduce whataboutery like that then you're losing.

You've moved the goalposts so far here that it's actually baffling.

I think you need to have a few lessons in history too. There's been quite a lot of ethnic cleansing of Muslim populations that was not done by Muslims.

You actually have not a single clue what you're talking about. This level of ignorance which leads to the type of posting, shifting and changing points and moving goalposts is dangerous when people eat it up

Well Israel commits war crimes practically every day so your support of Israel is a bit odd considering you don't approve of war crimes.

Where guilt has been proven, Israeli men who committed rape were punished by Israeli courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You either didn't understand my post or are deliberately misrepresenting what I said. I did not say Palestinians are being persecuted, I said the Israelis are deliberately targeting civilians, journalists, medical workers, aid workers etc. and deliberately destroying infrastructure hence the accusations of genocide and ethnic cleansing. The deliberate targeting is an objective fact and we will have to wait to see what the judgement is on the accusations of genocide. The rest of your post is whataboutery based on the initial strawman so I'm not engaging with it.

• Advertisement

As seems to be usual with your quips and musings, it's literally just you saying this on the thread.

Intention to kill innocents in the IDF operation has not been proven.

They have deliberately targeted innocent people including civilians, journalists and aid workers. No doubt you don't view anyone other than Israelis as being innocent but rational people do. If you want to LARP as some sort of political commentator at least have some basic knowledge on what you're posting about.

The Israel-Palestine conflict is connected to the other Middle Eastern conflicts because the Assad regime has waged war against Israel and supported terrorists who attacked or tried to attack Israeli interests (e.g. Hindawi used an innocent Irishwoman in an attempt to destroy an Israeli airliner), the Iranian ayatollahs support Hezbollah and the Houthis have also been attacking Israeli and Western interests.

The irony is that Shia extremist groups - the Iranian ayatollahs, Hezbollah, the Houthis, militiamen in Iraq - support Hamas, which is Sunni and thus would, if it had the chance, do the same to innocent Shia Muslims as what ISIS did in Iraq 10 years ago.

What evidence is there of the Israelis knowing that the people they targeted were innocent?

What crimes are newborn children guilty of in your mind?

Slight thing, though. They've been accused of them; and yeah, lots of commentators say they have. But, that really means nothing till the ICJ rules on them. Right now, the ICJ is thinking about some warrants is all.

Rule of law is a beyotch, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Actually, we are talking about the conflict between the Arabs and the Jews, that is nearly as old as Abraham.

Al Jazeera had a documentary about it the other day, even the children in Gaza play 'Arabs and Jews' with their toy guns and toy rpg rocket launchers made out of garbage.

The children on the street can see the big picture, can you? Or does it suit you to remain wilfully blind to the bigger picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

It's impossible to conduct war in Gaza against Hamas without inadvertently killing civilians.

Literally impossible. It's an unfortunate but unavoidable feature of war, particularly so in Gaza given the population density.

The alternative is to allow Hamas to continue to rule Israel, and to continue attempting October 7 over and over again. That outcome cannot be allowed to exist, either.

• Advertisement

So, the US Vetoed 'don't do war crimes' or some proof of such? I think not. Oh, and if the US protected south africa, was it using its veto to countermand 'war crimes.

Advertisement