Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Ham and cheese toasty for over a tenner. Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thats insane, I wouldn't mind if it was actually decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭sporina

re: Masseytown - thats ludicrous.. not a hope…

are they doing much of a trade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭shawki

May 2022 for comparison. The ones that went from €9.50 to €12.65 are worse hit with a 33% increase in two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Joes & Bros have put up their prices too which is a pity. They used to include a side of tots or salad with their sandwiches but they’re charging for the side now. Sandwiches are around the €10.50 mark but I think another €3.50 for the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Iguarantee

I got a sandwich & large coffee from the sandwich shop in the English market the other day and it was €11.40.

The sandwich was mediocre as was the coffee. I shan’t return.

ate in market lane last night. Really didn’t enjoy my main. Steak was tough, onions were practically raw and I’d say there was about 1 chopped mushroom!
    staff and service was so good though and there is a lovely atmosphere there in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭opus

I called into Wunderkaffee in Farran after a friend recommended it to me on Sat, lots going on there between the cafe & stuff for sale. Definitely worth checking out if you're in that neck of the woods. What really sold it to me was the Clash Album London Calling was playing while I was there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is it a coffee and cake place, or anything savoury and substantial?

Farran woods was always a place we went as kids. Would love to go again with my parents this summer.

did you say it to them? they have v v good customer service.. I had a prob there once - communicated it to them and they wer v accommodating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

There were at least two savoury options (maybe more), I had a toasty with mushrooms & cheese with a bit of salad on the side.

White Rabbit on Princes st do a lovely meatball sub for €8. Still plenty value around vs the rip off merchants. I get costs are crazy but people will just start voting with their feet. Masseytown is exceptionally poor value for what you get, for €13 it should be loaded with meat but you get a medium size roll with a scabby portion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dinner in Paradiso last night. Absolutely flawless meal. There is no question in my mind that Paradiso is the best and best value restraunt in the city.

I've eaten here a few times now and this was the best yet. Just so suited to my tastes. I couldn't find a single element in any dish to even mildly criticise.

A burger from Bunsen for €8.75 is also excellent value

another great lunch at De Calf yday - great food - great staff - great value

I highly recommend it

I see Sano are doing a starter and a pizza for €10 at lunch time. Serious value there.

It's been on my todo list for a while so went to Myxtiq on Popes Quay for lunch today. I had the veggie curry with a flat bread. The curry was tasty, the veg looked like a big of frozen veg from Lidl but fine all the same. My friend had the chicken biryani & was very happy with it. Too bad everything is served on throwaway plates with throwaway cutlery. The prices are very strange eg the curry was €12.12 so I hope they have lots of small coins for people paying cash!

The Khyber Grill down the road is next on my list.

• Advertisement

I've commented on their pricing before. It's rather strange, every price is some sort of pattern. 2.22, 3.33, 9.99, 12.12 etc. It's going to be interesting if they want to increase their pricing.

I hate the takeaway containers instead of crockery and proper cutlery, that put me off going to Iyer's, too, as they went that way over and after covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭scrotist

What are the portion sizes like? I'm a tall fella and the more expensive the restaurant is, the smaller the portion sizes, and as a result of that, the more pissed off I am when paying because I'm still starving.

Lots of small plates; not stuffed with carbohydrate fillers, but you will be comfortably full of high quality food.

That would be my take, too.

But having said that, I can pretty much eat everything served and I'm not a huge eater so, maybe, a very big eater would be hungry. Personally, I'm stuffed!

Sometimes, I struggle to understand the attitude of really big eaters in these scenarios. They get and pay for the same amount of food as everyone else but somehow feel short changed.

People with a large capacity for alcohol don't expect larger pints for themselves. They accept that they need to buy more pints to be, "full". But big eaters seem to expect more food than others for the same price because they have a large appetite! I don't want to have to pay for a huge meal that I will never finish because some people have huge appetites!

What's on the plate is either good value or it isn't. Ones large or small appetite doesn't change that.

Having said all that, Paradiso has a fixed menu without options to purchase extra food or courses!

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Yes, set menu. But their focaccia with red onion is superb. That could be ordered along with olives, as extras, at least the last time I was there.

It's a pity they don't open for lunch anymore. It's a rare treat for me now.

Can anyone suggest somewhere nice to eat in Blarney?

Not sure if it will be lunch or dinner time yet. Something simple like a decent soup and sandwich would be fine.

Looking at Christy's as an option. Definitely not Tung Sing 😕

TIA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

The castle hotel is nice. Claddagh restaurant for evening time. Or the small Italian place is meant to be nice too.

Thank you.

The small Italian place… would that be called Eat in It?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

Blarney castle hotel, christys, EatinIt now called Amore. Avoid Muskerry its terrible. A little bit further out from Blarney is Blairs Inn, very good.

the Chinese in the village Lantern House, is excellent too.

I met a friend for lunch at Leas (in the UCC Glucksman) yesterday. That was my second visit & top notch again. Think I'll definitely be back to try some of the other stuff on the menu. Very busy spot so I'd recommend booking if you want to go. There should be outdoor seating once the Summer arrived (assuming it does sometime).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Drdenise75

Paradiso friday night. Flawless. Love this place and always enjoy the meal but I think the current tasting menu is their best yet. Lots of interesting wines (natural, biodynamic almost all) and great service as always. Highly recommended!

Where in Cork City centre for a decent and affordable lasagne?

+1 if it comes with chips and coleslaw, which rules out most Italian restaurants (I really miss that Italian on the Eastern side of OP Street)! I'm looking for old school.

(and not Rossini, the lasagne I had there was an over microwaved disaster)

Sicilian Delights. But you ain't getting coleslaw and chips with it.

• Advertisement

dunno but what about Luigi's? Tony's Bistro? places like that?

Yeah, I guess! I haven't tried either tbh! Didn't even know that Tony's did lasagne! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

They do with fries and salad - about 15 quid but tasty

Ichigo!

I'm not great at food reviews, but this was amazing. I particularly loved the tofu starter, and overall it looks very well priced.

I will be back to try the extensive daily specials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was in St Luke’s Wine Tavern last night and it was nothing short of exceptional - from the food to the service to the atmosphere, everything was amazing. The tapas were the best I have ever had, we ordered plenty (!) and there wasn’t one thing I didn’t like! It was all such good value too! Can’t wait to go back.

Well, thank you of reminding me about that place! It's been years since I've been, and it was only OK then. Might pop up for some tapas and a pint in Henchy's soon. 👍️

Oh, and it would be a nice opportunity to have a look in at O'Keeffe's shop too!

As 14A was really busy (the place makes me claustrophobic at the best of times), I headed to Tony's for breakfast instead, my first time there. And very busy it was too.

It was.… grand? I dunno. Pretty bad, actually. I was expecting better for some reason.

Not the finest quality ingredients, and not the cheapest either. No. 5 from the menu. The €15 includes filter coffee and toast.

I don't know why they put the (not fresh) mushrooms in the ramekin rather than the plentiful beans. Maybe it makes the plate look bigger? The pudding was overcooked and dry.

No sign of the advertised relish, but a little plastic tub of strawberry jam.

Quay Co-op.

Well, this is a much better breakfast than Tony's.

Smokey potatoes with quinoa salad and vegetarian sausage roll. €14 including coffee.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

Is it just me or does none of that look tasty? Looks like Chinese poverty food from the 1800s. What's the 4th pic? Looks extremely greasy.

That's tofu. I agree that the photos don't like great, I guess that's it's not a very photogenic type of food. But the flavour was outstanding.

The tofu looks like a big ball of slime, but it actually collapses in the mouth. Like eating a cloud.

It wasn't greasy at all, that sheen you see in the photo was something attached to the tofu. Very stretchy and quite gelatinous, interesting. I'd love to know what exactly it is, if anyone knows?

finally ate in cafe paradiso…always dying to go and I know it’s a firm favourite with some of you here

I do love a tasting menu, however I didn’t like two of the dishes here, down to my own taste of course, nothing to do with the restaurant, so I’d have enjoyed it much more if it was a la carte. One dish was up there with one of the nicest I’ve ever had.

It was a warm evening but it was uncomfortably warm in there, would they not have air con? Interesting to hear people’s views on this one but there was a couple beside us who had their shoes off, with their bare feet out. Honestly found this disgusting. Thoughts?

Did their feet smell? If not, I don't understand the issue. They're just feet. People expose their feet in sandals all the time. While I do find it slightly odd to take off your shoes in a restaurant, I really don't get the, "disgusting" bit, they're just feet.

Was on a train in France some years ago (in winter) when a young woman came into our compartment and took her shoes off. The problem was that her feet stank to high heaven. Really stank. Now, that was disgusting.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Taking your shoes off and being barefoot in a restaurant is not acceptable in my eyes. We are not at the beach.

You made that clear in your original post and asked for people's thoughts. I gave my thoughts.

If they had socks on, would you have found it acceptable?

What about people wearing sandals with no socks? Acceptable? Acceptable for women but not men?

These are genuine questions. I'm really curious as to what the big deal is about clean, exposed feet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement