Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Ah here now, rag on the Motion Picture uniforms to your hearts content, but leave the monster maroons out of it! Between them and late DS9 as my favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The maroons look good in isolation but I hate how disconnected they are from all other uniforms. They should have colour coded them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Disconnected? So you would almost say they were ... ahem... marooned?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looking forward to watching the rest of TOS' films, though I suspect my opinion on Five won't shift an iota.

Aesthetically, they ruin the movie. The pacing you can edit around if you really want to, but whoever Okayed the array of truly awful romper suits as uniforms hopefully never worked a big blockbuster again.

Also had a good laugh at Ilia's robot clothes, where the Enterprise's "sonic shower" magically gave her a small dressing gown skirt and heels.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

While the plot and special effects of Star Trek V are awful, the character interplay in the movie is some of the best in the franchise imo. Enough to elevate it way above the likes of Discovery, Abrams Trek etc. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Inviere

Couldn't agree more, at least it tried. It failed, but it wasn't all rotten eggs either. I've seen it quite a few times, and I'll happily rewatch it again in time no doubt....which is something I can't say about Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jdbwals

Didn't see this mentioned previously but Vue Liffey Valley have two showings of Wrath of Khan this coming weekend and are showing The Search For Spock the following weekend for it's 40th anniversary.

I saw Wrath of Khan the last time Liffey Valley showed it but have never seen Search for Spock on the big screen and as one of my favs in the series, I am really looking forward to it.

So many great moments to see on the big screen, first view of Spacedock, first view of the Excelsior, the stealing of the Enterprise sequence and not to mention the destruction of the Enterprise.

It's the first Star Trek movie I remember seeing when it was shown on RTE as one of their Christmas time movies back in the day.

As for Star Trek V, it's not the strongest movie but I still enjoy it. What carries it for me is the character interaction between Kirk, Spock and McCoy where I think it does a good job of showing the strength of their friendship.

I also think it did a good job of showing the relationship between Spock and Sybock (probably spelt that wrong), given it is the first time the character was ever mentioned.

Some of the humour worked well, Scott's comment on the ship being put together by monkeys always gets a smile from me and despite the special effects issues, there are still some good shots of the Ent A.

And I like that in this one the Klingon's are shown as being more complex, can be reasoned with and can work with the Federation to reacha common goal - foreshadowing what was coming down the line.

Okay, the God stuff and some of the humour (Scotty whacking his head) didn't work so well.

Still, as the first Star Trek movie I saw on the big screen it will always have a special place for me.

Never a fan of the surprise siblings plot. Sadly it wasn't to be the last time Sarek threw secret children at us.

But the interplay between the characters is really what makes it. Also I do love the "what does god need with a starship" scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

I dunno about the character stuff in Star Trek 5 to be honest. I watched it recently and was hoping that would be the saving grace, but it really wasn't. IMO, at least.

Bones is far too mean to Spock throughout, like really beyond funny and just into cruel, uncalled for, racist old man jibes, constantly. And Kirk just smirks at it all. Really off-putting; I wouldn't want to hang out with these guys. "Row, row, row, your boat" and "marsh.. uh.. marsh-mallows" is not a good character moment either, it's just silly.

And it suffers too because the rest of the cast outside those three are given absolutely nothing to do. And suddenly Scotty and Uhura are having a romance?

Even the messaging. Isn't there a whole thing about Kirk wanting to keep his pain? He "needs" his pain? That might have worked better at the time but jesus, maybe some therapy wouldn't go amiss actually. What's Sybok offering here that's really so bad?

So the message at the end is that god is dead and our pain is what defines us? Yuck.

I went in hoping to find some redeeming qualities but I ended up disliking it much more than I'd remembered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Even the messaging. Isn't there a whole thing about Kirk wanting to keep his pain? He "needs" his pain? That might have worked better at the time but jesus, maybe some therapy wouldn't go amiss actually. What's Sybok offering here that's really so bad?

There's a running injoke I'll see in letterboxd reviews where manys a movie will be summarised with something along the lines of, the lengths a man will go to avoid therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Sybok's releasing of pain seemed more like the brain magnets in the Expanse than therapy. Kirk wanting to keep his pain as a reminder isn't really a bad thing.

I've always seen Kirk's comments on pain in ST V being that the experiences of the past, the good and the bad, had contributed to the person he had become and having to learn to live with the bad, all became part of the make up of his character, and indeed any perons character. Strip that away and what have you got?

Intentionally or not, I think it goes back to a comment he made to Savik in Wrath of Khan along the lines of learning to deal with death is as important as learning to deal with life.

Or maybe I am just over thinking a sci-fi movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Yeah. Felt very of it's time, though. 1980's strong stoic man needs to live in his pain. I can only imagine what Discovery's take on this would be 🤣. Kirk's stance mightn't be so bad after all.

The character stuff was more of an issue for me though. Like others above I'd remembered it as being the good thing about this film, but it's all just too amped-up it starts to feel out of character or, worse, like caricature. You can see that they're trying to build on the crossover comedy-appeal of Star Trek 4: The One With The Whales but they take it far too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thats how I seen it too. He wasn't defined by his pain, but it was part of him, and like it or not, it shaped his persona. Plus, the small matter of why would the captain of a ship want an untrusted man who just hijacked the ship and turned the rest of the crew into malleable zombies poking around in his mind....

It may be dated, and it has its flaws, but the touching upon of how life experience (good and bad) shapes us to become the people we are, is deeper than any shite Discovery fumbles with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Didn't see this mentioned previously but Vue Liffey Valley have two showings of Wrath of Khan this coming weekend and are showing The Search For Spock the following weekend for it's 40th anniversary.

Really? what day and time. I looked there and could not see any. Either they are sold out or it's changed.

Edit: sorted :) Both booked Woo hoo :) It has been so long since I seen TMP in the cinema but am looking forward to seeing these two in the cinema now and then just 4, 5, 6 and 7 and I will have seen every Star Trek film in the cinema :)

7 should be out around December for its 30th anniversery hopefully.

Would love too see it in the Cinema too so hopefully in December.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Sorry - it is actually the following weekend - 8pm on the Friday 7th June, screen 13 and then 6pm on Sunday 9th June in screen 12 for Wrath of Khan.

Search for Spock then is on Sat 15th, Sunday 16th and Tue 18th - all in screen 13 which does seem very small looking at the seating charts.

• Advertisement

I just go to the Vue Liffey Valley website, hit the magnifying glass icon to search, stick in Star Trek and Wrath of Khan is top of the list in what comes back.

Myself and my kids were three others of the 20 people back when they showed TMP and Wrath of Khan - loved seeing the Enterprise fly past on the big screen.

Tiny hidden zips. On DS9 Jadzia and Ezri's grey shouldered uniform is clearly a one piece but when the scene demands the top can be removed

"when the scene demands the top can be removed"

That sounds a lot sleazier than I assume you intended 🤣

Although probably someway accurate with Rick Berman.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I dunno man. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen those costumes in fetish clubs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I don’t mind these costumes. They’re androgynous and bland, but clearly a 2 piece. A trip to the space jacks would easy.

they/them/theirs

Looking sharp crew. Looking real sharp

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah just horrible uniforms. Delighted they only lasted the one film

And those Wrath of Khan uniforms were glorious and really became iconic. Definitely my favourite.

We should play a game on another thread, and have uniforms face off against each other see who comes out on top

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Advertisement