Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The accelerating fall in Sinn Féin support

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Perhaps, there wasn't in 2019 either. As you say they've lost a relatively sizeable amount of support yet are still the party with most support. They're going to have a good local and European elections though admittedly recovering from a lowish base in 2019, their heralded demise in the the establishment media is a tad premature IMO. Time will tell..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You really, really won't

It's much less likely now since the referenda and the immigration issues than it was before that. It was never a certainty but now it looks like a return of FF+FG with some independents and/or other parties as smaller coalition members. I'm not a betting man but if I was, my last euro would go against rather than for SF being in the next government

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

IF and it's a big if, SF are in the next government, the makeup of the seat counts is likely to dictate the coalition partners. I'd say it's hard to see SF in without FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

If Sinn Fein aren't the biggest party after the election early next year then MLMcD has to go.

They were handed an open goal over the past 5 years and couldn't come up with a sensible strategy to make sure they won the election.

If they had just focussed on retaining the working class vote they had and come up with a half sensible housing plan they'd have won the election easily.

For some reason they thought excessive wokeness was the way to go over the past few years.As bad as what is happening in Palestine may be ,recent polls have shown its only an important issue for 2% of the Irish population yet it seems like SF think it's the pressing issue in Ireland today, they also seem to think a free for all immigration policy was what people wanted when it clearly isn't.It's incredible the level of incompetence from them as a party and people I think can see this and think if they're that poor in opposition then how the hell could we trust them with the responsibility of running the country.At least people know what you get with FF and FG leading the government and it's a case of better the devil you know.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

FFG are outflanking them quite a lot. The latest is on Israel/Palestine. I think that's going to boost the government parties more.

You're overstating the influence of the referenda. On migration the issue has been hyped way beyond it's real world impact on most people's lives and the media are primarily responsible for that. However SF have taken a few opportunist shifts to reflect some of the nonsense being spouted by the racist right.

You might be right that FF FG with a plethora of right wing Independents might be enough but SF/FF with 1/2 of the other parties is far more likely in my view, like others here you're extrapolating from some recent polls 6+ months down the road and heralding their demise (in government terms).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Independent Ireland and the Green Party are diametrically opposed on nearly every issue.

Sinn Fein want to abolish the carbon tax, that puts them with the Independent Ireland party.

There is no way the Greens will go in with SF or the Independent Ireland.

I wasn't suggesting all of those parties will make up the next government but some of them will. The GP will work with SF, it's naive to suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement

Surely a FFG government is more likely than SFFF or SFFG?
    Why do you think any would share with SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'll probably vote independents over SF. If this was last year, I'd have gone SF.

They seem hopeless on immigration and housing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

any party that does a deal with the shinners will never get a vote from a large number of their current voters again

working with shinners is a selling your soul IMO and unforgivable

I think that's very overstated. It may apply to FG right now, they wouldn't do a deal in the coming election but that will change.

I'm not sure what 'working with the shinners' is selling your soul means? IThese parties work with each other at local and level up and down the country.

FF/FG is a live possibility but I think the shinners will regain some of the ground they've lost.

Parties will share with SF because they want to be in power. It will depend on the results. We may end up with the three main parties on similar seat numbers but if one pulls away a bit then that party is likely to be able to call the shots and it's likely to be FG or SF it won't be FF.

I could be completely wrong but I still think SF will be the biggest party after the next election.

I don’t share your optimism for a SF government. With sinking support, the clamour for change seems to be dying down. As I have said before, the top of the ticket in SF has been found wanting in recent months, they don’t look capable, Mary Lou has run out of tricks, O’Broin should be demoted for his complete inability to lay a glove on the government in what have been the easiest of easy policies to do so, housing, and Doherty is just a ranting fool. It is clear to see that if the other parties need a coalition partner to form a government, SF are the least desirable of partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think many of those smaller parties listed as options for a SF led Govn't, are looking at them at present and seeing little competence. Why would you tie your party to SF if you think they'll be poor in Govn't? That must be on FFs mind as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I would like to know why you think SF will be the biggest party after the next election.

Their current trajectory is not pointing to that at all, they are 1% ahead of FG (who are back on the up), so unless something quite dramatic happens, I can only see that trend continuing. SF have gone from 36% to 23% in 4 years, that isn't a positive trend.

You might be right in your opinion. However many of the factors you're citing Mary Lou etc don't really stand up to scrutiny and are really reflective of your own political bias I suggest. For the record I'm neither a SF voter or supporter. There are some decent people in SF but the trajectory of the party is to the right and they are incredibly opportunist.

The nose dive in support in the last year, a year when dissatisfaction with housing/cost of living/healthcare/education has been increasing certainly bears up to scrutiny, SF should be soaring. If they can’t make hay now, they will not get a better opportunity. You don’t have to suggest, it’s ok to state my bias, in my opinion they are a bunch of bluffers incapable of providing substance for their policies, and now are closer to the other parties than further away, failing to offer a believable alternative. At this point in time, the only chance they have of being in Government is if FF or FG decide a period in opposition is preferable to rebuild support rather than going back into a coalition.

I really think their SF’s inabilty to set themselves apart over the last year has shown their leadership to be utterly incompetent, it has been missed step after missed step. Consecutive declines in the polls tell the story.

• Advertisement

Their current trajectory in the polls has been downwards, that's undoubtedly true and as you say they've fallen a fair bit from their high of last year, yet they are still the party with the highest standing in the polls. FG has had a bit of a new leader bounce (f@*k knows why!) but no guarantee that will continue either. Why would you be so deterministic about the trend downward for SF - they will have a decent outing this time, they'll get a significant increase in the number of councillors and will go from 1 MEP to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭John arse

Whoever gets in please please just get rid of sleepy Eamonn and his taxation party!😤

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You do realise the Green Party are a small party in government and cannot get any major changes done without agreement from the other parties. You might be surprised if the Green party get kicked out the same taxes go forward and who will you blame then?

In terms of wind, Sinn Fein want to roll out more and faster, that money has to come from somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

People have started to read policies, Sinn Fein story falls to pieces when you read their policies

You might not be aware but a lot of people live a very happy life in Ireland at the moment, we are one of the best countries in the World to live in after all, yes we have issues but so does every country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭John arse

Get real, any rocking of the greens boat and they have the power to bring the government down, this is Eamonn Ryan who has introduced carbon tax, halted at least ten major road projects for needless cycle ways and walkways in his own constituency,fell asleep in the Dail and last but not least suggested that we all invest in window boxes to get us through COVID!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They have a 1% lead now, while what you are saying is true, that is hardly a resounding lead, and if trends continue, they will be level or behind FG very soon.

I am not being deterministic here, I am seeing where the trend is going, and for SF it is currently in a free-fall. The is a fact.

Is 3 MEPs a guarantee or what you are hoping for here, and is that really decent? You might be clinging to straws a bit here.

So 'people' have suddenly started to read their policies and decided that SF are not for them, yet they are still the most popular party in the country.

Who's argued that no people are living a 'happy life' in Ireland? However, to reduce the thousands living in hotels due to the inability of the government to provide housing, the crisis in mental health services, the waiting lists in health, the shortage of school places for children on the ASD spectrum, the children in agony waiting on scoliosis surgery, the list goes on to simply 'issues' is a bit reductive. If Ireland is so wonderful why are so many people seeking alternatives to the government parties.

The question you should be asking is, if so many people are seeking alternatives to the government parties because of unhappiness with their policies, why aren’t SF miles ahead in the polls, instead of suffering significant drops in popularity?

Even the most ardent SF supporter has to be concerned that when FFG are faltering, SF aren’t able to capitalise on it. Also, remember, there is an enormous, and insurmountable gap in popularity between SF and the current coalition partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭timmyntc

To date they have been relying on being the main opposition "give us a chance, we are alternative to FFG".

nobody has been reading manifestos as such, but the the recent storm of immigration saw them caught out on the wrong side of the government, and they have failed to manoeuvre. They have a poor idea of who their base is and what they actually want, and run the risk of losing further voters if this continues. The longer immigration is an issue and if the IPAS situation worsens, SF will be the big losers unless they can change their position on it in a big way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Sinn Féin ran a brilliant campaign last GE. They had a clear message that they wanted change, and that came across in the social media campaign especially. They managed to grab a huge amount of the young vote from this.

They'll need a similar social media campaign next GE, but other parties will be more prepared next time I feel.

Advertisement