Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix/replace fittings

Options
  • 27-05-2024 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on the following issue.

While doing a tidy up today I found leaking fittings in my 'hot press'. It looks like it's been there for quite a while unfortunately.

The fittings are all connected to the upstairs circulating pump. Pump and heating have been working fine.

I tightened the fittings marked 1&3 and the seem to have stopped weeping. Fitting no.2 is still leaking.

Is there a DIY method of fixing or replacing the fitting?

If these fittings need to be replaced does that mean the heating system (rads) need to be drained?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, yes you can DIY fix or replace all of these, but you'll need to know what you're doing first. Yes, the system would need to be locked-out (closing the refill valves) and then pressure-released to the point where there's no water flowing from the disconnected pipes. Seeing as you have that amount of corrosion and leakage, you'll probably find that the system is in poor shape as the continuous flow of fresh water will have introduced oxygen and that's likely to have caused or made worse those leaks as well as increased the general corrosion in the whole system.

If it was me, I'd be doing this: Close off the inlet/refill and then drain off as much water as is needed to stop the flow from these pipes. Disassemble each fitting and clean it up with a pipe brush, especially around the olive. If the fitting is excessively corroded or the olive damaged, then I'd be cutting out that section of pipe and replacing it (I'd invest in a proper pipeslice cutter like in the link below). Then I'd make sure to reassemble the pipe and joint using PTFE tape properly over the olive and reassemble the lot. But I'd also be adding an inhibitor to the system for sure.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/copper-pipe-cutters/cat7620008

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

Thank you 10-10-20 for the detailed reply. I will give it a go and see what I can do.

Thankfully no heating on at the moment so I have time to fix it and watch YouTube videos of what you've described!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, plenty of examples on YouTube, that's for sure. Just bear in mind that you'll need to put a significant amount of torque on those new/refreshed joints to get them tight, but the proper use of the olive and PTFE tape is key. 👍️

Advertisement