Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm - New schedule coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Shan Doras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Good for Laura that she was worked her way to the top..... unfortunately, she doesn't have a distinctive enough voice or personality much like most other young presenters these days.

BuT that may make no difference to younger listeners. In fact, I think every comment on here should list their age in this thread because we're probably all auld lads on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Thsts fair! Guilty as charged lol! I’m old enough to remember the late 80s when Gerry Ryan was doing nights and making a name for himself with the Lambo incident. The closest I’ve heard to that type of radio I loved back in the day lately was Mike Moloney’s Musuc 1 Ireland back in 2021/22 That was staffed with oul lads too.

That being said, I don’t see the real need for teen to 30 radio these days. For my generation it was to hear songs you liked, the only outlet unless you bought an album or single. Now for the relatively small price of €5-€10/month you have access to any music you want. I don’t really know why you’d want to listen to some influencer spouting rubbish between songs in that case. What’s also missing is exposure to different genres. Some of my musical taste developed from DJs playing stuff they liked that was outside of the mainstream so the time. I mightn’t have liked some of it but they were music guys so I respected what they were doing and some of their choices grew on me. I suppose now at least if you hear a band or genre mentioned you have complete access to a back catalogue. There still isn’t any substitute for being forced to sit through a song you wouldn’t normally listen to because you liked the DJ so wanted to hear what they play next. That’s how music grows on you imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Probably, but we are noticing that the DJ's / Hosts that just left aren't far off being 'aul wans, everyone gets 'aul. And also I'd argue that 2FM has probably being getting the same complaints on boards for the last 10 to 20 years, nothing new has really changed.

I think if anything this clear out should allow RTÉ 2FM become younger and start to introduce new music and new sounds. But you shouldn't have your eye on influencers you should be looking for people who have knowledge of current music.

This could be an issue around producers in 2FM also and researchers.

I don't know Doireann or Jenny Z musical acumen, they are TV/Radio presenters, outside of that they are limited IMO. That is not to say that either aren't good at their job but it is to say that they probably know as much about music as I do, which is very little.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I think hiring “names” abd “influencers” for music radio is like tge weather on RTE ONE during the day. The people doing it are presenters. Not meteorologists so are reading from a prepared script. If things change quickly and the script isn’t updated, they can’t offer meaningful input whereas a meteorologist presenter can think on their feet with the knowledge they hade and give a better forecast. If your producer is picking the music and you are just in there as a presenter pressing play on the next track, it shows. If you don’t have a knowledge of the music you’re playing or a connection with it, you’re just filling in time. The audience will twig this as well. Maybe that’s what they want but if you’re purporting to be a music driven station then you need to get the listeners with an interest in music on side.

• Advertisement

I am not saying you should fully rely on your producers as a presenter, but the research and producers should be able to provide you with needed back up, they also might suggest new items that the presenter might not be interested in.

______

Yesterday

Oh absolutely. It’s a team effort. Just as you wouldn’t expect a listener to be 100% behind every track played, you wouldn’t expect that from a presenter either. You do know the presenters who are generally into music though. I’d say part of every jock’s job involves playing some stuff they think is pants either because if the producer or general popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Has anybody asked young people what they'd like? Or is it a case of old fogies deciding on their behalf? Young people have a very different relationship to radio, to music and to presenters than we do. To them, it's as easy to watch a TikTok video, stream music or listen to a podcast as it is to listen to the radio. Is hiring influencers to produce more of the same but also with music really the way to go?

Well that’s what I’m wondering. If you can stream any music you want now, what’s the point of radio? Us old timers needed the radio to hear music and there was no other outlet bar buying albums or recording off the radio at a pinch.

Maybe the “WhatsApp me with your mad stories” schtick is what they want. I don’t know, you’ll see ones of mad stuff on TikTok also. So yes, I don’t know what young audiences want. Thing is, Dan Healy doesn’t seem to have an idea either.

I wonder would young people still like an old-skool radio show where the presenters still have some say in what they play? In todayspeak they call it curation I think. Back in my day, they were radio shows where you got to know and like the DJs, and kind of knew what their musical taste was. Now it seems like there's a limited and repetitive playlist, punctuated by presenters doing "mad stuff" and jabbering on for ages. But maybe that's what the young people of today want 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord Nelson

What young people or listeners want is irrelevant. Content is driven by what the advertising agencies dictate to reach the audience they want for their customers product. Unfortunately, your average tweeny in the agency is as clueless as the so called programmers in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

That doesn't happen at all. I've worked on the agency side. Agencies don't care about content, they care about the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

ive two in their early 20's and a 19 year old. radio doesnt exist in their world, nor in their friends. You tube 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya, my nephew is 18 and the first thing he says if he gets into the car with me is "can I connect?" meaning his phone to Bluetooth to play Spotify. He does not consider the radio...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm curious as to why Beta De Silva's new music show doesn't seem to come up in conversation?

Is it cos he black?

Can anyone explain of how on earth the jnlrs can come up with the figure of 70% of 15/34s listening to 2 hours of FM radio a day ? Even back in the late 00s which is almost 20 years ago, I remember the majority of young people that I knew had abandoned radio in favour of the iPod

I've never listened to him on the 8pm weeknight slot but I did get to hear him on weekend breakfast about 2 years ago and he had the same 2 or 3 links as all the other weekend DJs, Hey what are you doing for the weekend? We have a 100€ just eat voucher to give away, text me 51552. I shouted at the radio, is this all Paul Russell has taught them

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ZaK23-54

let’s call it as it is please..

Would RTÉ Gold with a full schedule reach more listeners per hour than 2FM if it were on FM?

Yes, RTE Gold on 90/92FM would take off like a rocket but would never get ministerial approval

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boardsuser1000

How many people in the 15-34 age group work in an office/shop/factory with a radio on in the background. Strictly speaking they are listing to the radio but really it is just background noise to get rid of awkward silence.

• Advertisement

Interesting. I have nieces and nephews who are younger but they don't listen to the radio either. If I'm carrying any of them in the car, the first thing they do is reach for my phone and stream music from that (they don't have their own phones yet). It would make you wonder why anybody on 2FM is even bothering to pay expensive presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭XabiAlonso22

I thought he would drop too, Dermot was the funny one and did the good features.

Tbf Dave isn't up against much at that time slot nationally so will always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The latest rumour is that Jim Nugent, who left in 2010, could be returning to the station.

I liked him as Rick O'Shea's side kick in the afternoon on 2FM.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Same. I spent a very enjoyable summer years ago driving around Ireland listening to that show in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

I think we can all agree that radio is not the primary medium of young content consumers like it once was.

I can remember in the pre internet days hearing a song on the radio and then eagerly heading into town to try to track down a physical copy. The act of acquirement was in itself a social gathering, heading on for drinks afterwards etc…

Half of the joy was discovery. The internet has kinda crushed that whimsical adventure.

This ad illustrates how much of our time hanging out in town was just browsing

same. Those days of seeking out music are gone. Really you can’t even have a song going round your head anymore trying to hear it again to find out what it is. Tech has killed all that. I’d love to hear an 18 yr old on here talking about what radio means now to them and their generation in general. It has certainly changed utterly from my experience listening as an 18 yr old over 30 years ago. I don’t know and think I’ll never figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

Beta's show is quite good. I'm not a regular listener but I would often pop him on when Feekna is sitting in for Creedo.

At 37, I'm a bit passed the target market I'd say, but what I've heard is quite good. He plays loads of new Irish music, with a good back story to accompany new artists and how to find more of their stuff. Other than that it's mostly "that was, this is" style of presentation with none of that "OMG lads the seagulls, text us in if you ever had a chip stolen by a seagull" type nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement