Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for a cycling kit bag (duffle bag type thing)

Options
  • 26-05-2024 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

As above. I'm looking for recommendations for a duffle type bag to put cycling gear into. Something that I can just grab and know everything I need is inside. I have looked a gym bags etc but can't seem to find done with separate compartments inside the main compartment. It drives me mad trying to find stuff all mixed up inside one large compartment.

Ideally I need a storage section for shoes,

one for gloves / mitts

One for devices e.g.Garmin etc

Separate compartments inside also for socks, jerseys shorts and jackets

Maybe storage room for helmet also although I could live with this being clipped on outside.

Seems simple enough but struggling to find something that ticks all the boxes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

https://www.decathlon.ie/p/336118-139232-carrying-bag-race-lite.html

This offer from Decathlon looks to tick a lot of boxes. If it has enough volume for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Thanks. Hadn't seen that. Must visit their Limerick store for a browse. Some of these bags are pricey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I use a triathlon transition bag - there's a pouch/ holder at the front for a helmet, and lots of pockets. However, I still end up using packing cubes inside to separate base layers, socks etc. So if I didn't already have the bag from my short lived triathlon career(?) I'd probably use a normal holdall with packing cubes tbh!

Edit - something like this, which I think is on sale much cheaper on sports pursuit at the moment

https://www.alltricks.com/F-41498-bagagerie/P-2564343-huub_transition_ii_rucksack_black_blue

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Shotser

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/1299-PAKGO-GEARPACK

I have one of these and love it. Everything I need is in it and i just grab and go with it. I use it mainly for mtb, keep a sock pump, lube, pressure gauge and other things in it. Never forget anything now!

Thanks for those suggestions..I think you might be right about the packing cubes also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wow the inside of that one is great. Love it.

Shite - when I went looking I didn't expect to have to pay these prices though for a bag! It might be a case of buy cheap buy twice though.

I had been trying to justify the Topeak one to myself with a bit of man maths earlier on an now this Thule one is in the running also. Need to go off and think about the them both. Thanks for the replies folks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100% buy cheap, buy four, maybe five times. I paid a lot for a good bag 15+ years ago and only this year did it stop being waterproof, and is still a functional bag. Probably 400 commutes a year, pretty much every holiday, often done the shopping with it, and saved my skin on a few occasions during crashes. I felt stupid for the price at the time (€300+) but at less than 20euro a year, it is worth paying the money if the product is good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Shotser

I don't remember paying that much ($100+) for my Topeak one. I'd say you would find it cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

I have one of these bags. There very well made but a few small annoying things:
    - the handles are weird. There are loops at either end and a strap. There is also a handle on the top. This means you need to zip the bag closed to carry it with one hand via the handles or use the strap. I've taken the strap off as it kept getting caught in things so I have to use two hands unless I zip it closed. I tend to fill up all the compartments and then put stuff on top of them meaning the bag won't zip but this is fine if i'm just going from the house to the car
    - also the compartments in the main bag is held with buttons so they are not connected to the bottom of the bag. This is fine for big things but for smaller things like sunglasses they can fall through the bottom and get lost in the bottom of the bag. I end up putting things into bags and then into the compartments i.e all gels and hydration tab tubes

Thanks for the recommendations. I bought the Thule bag in the end because I figured the larger size would suit better. Got it for €113 including postage from bike-discount.de. it arrived today (ordered last Thursday).

The Topeak bag is also cool, I like the rigid side wall design, but the larger size of the Thule swung it for me.

Advertisement