Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone suffering nerve damage "down below" ?

Options
  • 26-05-2024 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

I think I am showing the beginnings of it, a bit of Googling and the pudendal nerve seems to be giving me jib, symptoms all ring a bell. Visited my doctor couple of weeks ago to rule out any testicular issues, all clear there so he said probably some nerve damage. Its something I thought would only affect ultra endurance cyclists but I don't do anything like those distances.

Doing a bit of research and giving up/severely limiting cycling seems to be the suggestion, not something I can imagine tbh. My saddle is very comfy and my bib shorts are in the mid range price category, I have DHB, Van Rysel and Adidas ones, all seem fine to me.

Just wondering if anyone else gone through it and any suggestions about saddles, bike fits etc….thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Shouldn't be happening unless a bad fit or bad saddle. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Yeah thats what I thought, I only average about 3,500km per year. I'm in Limerick. I have another doctors appointment next week I will ask more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Has your saddle got a pressure relief channel? You say it’s comfortable, but if its making your balls numb I wouldn’t consider that comfortable personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

You might try lowering the seat and tilting the nose down ?or

(extra) cushioning the area affected

This is the saddle https://www.dublin2bike.ie/products/venec-natural-fit-saddle-lite . I dont know if that qualifies as pressure relief channel.

Balls arent numb its more a pinching feeling between there and other private area, short sharp shooting pains spreading from that area, though thankfully not too painful and not chronic (so far).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It may also not be the bike anyway, issues like this are often only showing up long after the actual issue has started. Two things to do, get a bike fit, get measured for a saddle (so effectively, these two are the one thing), and then go see a physio for assessment. This won't be a GPs expertise area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I get some mild numbness if I've done an audax or similar long ride but it generally only lasts a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hemorrhoids can be an issue, but you'd want to be doing a lot of cycling.

The saddle might be too flat or wide/narrow for you. Get a bike fit with analysis of pressure zones on saddle

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Quango Unchained

I've put a link below to a recent thread discussing vibration injuries.

Having wider tyres would be helpful in terms of reducing vibration injury risk. You can look at tubeless to reduce the air pressure for even more cushioning.

Installing a suspension seatpost, such as the eeSilk, although expensive, could also be worth looking into.

Thanks all yes I think bike fit is first on list and more than likely a higher spec saddle with cutout area. I run 32mm tyres at lowest pressure possible, roads around here are brutal tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What sort of cycling are you doing? A 160km spin once per fortnight, or 12km every day, say?

30km or so ride midweek, 40-50 at weekend, weekend ride will increase in distance with summer coming, I usually slowly build up distance to Ring of Kerry in July. I have done a few extra events this year that I don't normally do, varying between 80km and 120km. Very flat where I am, not a huge amount of elevation gain in those rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

Haven't had any issues myself and seem to be okay with different saddles as long as the width is good for my sit bones. Only recently got a Fizik with a cut out.

Wonder is flatness means you never get up of the saddle? I do consciously stand up on the peddles for a few strokes occasionally if the route is flat to give the barse a break.

If it was only initial discomfort I'd suggest just measuring your sit bones and getting an appropriately sized saddle. You seem to be further on than that though so as Cram said bikefit/physio probably is the safest option.

Advertisement