Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions Cup final thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think you need to look at that again, the ball carrier touches that ball forward with his shoulder/forearm after the rip. He dives and possibly touches the ball again on the ground.

It's not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What are you on about, it was clearly lost forward in a rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm fairly certain you're not allowed tackle someone without the ball.

That's about the only talking point that worthy of discussion, to me the ref didn't know what to do so he did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mista11

If you go back and look at the picture i posted its as clear as can be

• Advertisement

I think, he's claiming (incorrectly) that as it was a rip, touching a Leinster player after the rip & going forward should be ignored.

Or, is it he can't see the ball touching the ball carrier after the rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lads the referee was very poor in my opinion but the ref is always right in rugby so you need to find reasons outside of referee mistakes to say how you would have won and there were plenty of opportunities.

Even with a poor referee Leinster should have won the game. Mistake after mistake after mistake cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

Toulouse and dupont were good and well worth their win on saturday, but they wont like the video review of the many mistakes they made that ultimately kept leinster in the game. Their two disallowed tries would normally have been expected to be scored.

But look, at least it made the game exciting for us neutrals until the last 10 mins.

Watched the highlights on ATH and it reaffirmed to me that Carley had a good game. All the important calls on both sides of the ball were 100% correct .

Playing area looked very small. Was pitch narrower than it should have been , definitely shorter at 95m. Didn’t suit Toulouse gameplan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

When three of the complaints against a ref are "He didn't give that turnover quick enough", "He didn't award my try quick enough", and "He didn't give that red card quick enough", it's hard not to think that people are clutching at straws.

Roumat and Lowe are two completely separate incidents. One is a alleged bat into touch (backwards), the other is a deliberate knock on. We all know what the interpretations are with deliberate knock ons - when its one handed and there's not a reasonable chance of regathering the ball, then its a penalty. If there's an overlap and a potential line-break is prevented, its a yellow card. This is not new, and this is exactly what happened with Lowe. This is not how a slap into touch is refereed - the law is not interpreted in the same way. As @awec has repeatedly pointed out, the question is whether Roumat has deliberately slapped the ball into touch. This is clearly not the case - he has stuck a hand out, the ball has gone backwards, and Roumat failed to regather the ball. As a result, it went into touch. You can argue all you want how the events are similar, but they are two different laws which have two different interpretations around them. If you're arguing, your issue is with the interpretation/application of the law, not with Carley who made the correct decision in both cases. If you're arguing they should be treated the same and the law should be changed, then fair enough, but saying Carley was wrong to treat them differently is simply incorrect.

As pointed out by @aloooof, McCarthy's try is unlikely to stand regardless due to Doris clearing Ntamack about five metres beyond the ruck - and preventing him from diving on the spilled ball. I'm not going to get into whether Jenkins touched the ball and knocked it on after the initial rip since its so marginal.

As pointed out elsewhere, for Lowe's try, McCarthy dummying a pick-and-go is a free kick offence (not a penalty). Law 15.16(g): "A player cannot take any action to make opponents believe that the ruck has ended when it has not". There is also zero guarantee that Lowe would've scored anyways since all of the inside drifting cover defence (i.e. Ntamack and Costes) stop playing once they hear the whistle. Some people also had issues with the tackle on Jenkins for some reason? Nothing wrong with it, arms up clearly attempting to wrap.

Ironically some people had issue with Carley taking so long to give VDF's try. In reality, Carley is the reason its rewarded. The TMO doesn't have evidence of the ball on the ground AND over the line - and its Carley's insistence that the ball was always over the line which actually results in the try actually being given at all despite there being no clear angle of the ball on the ground and over the line. That usually cannot be inferred (often the TMO will say in such situations that there's no evidence to overturn the on-field decision, as the ball could've been grounded short and therefore its not a clear and obvious try).

Someone also had the retort of "Well, did Toulouse have anything they could feel aggrieved about"? Well, before Byrne's 3 pointer at half time, it comes from a penalty on halfway for a jackal turnover where Baird does not roll away and prevents the ball carrier from presenting the ball. Baird flops like a dead whale over the ruck and Sheahan is rewarded for the turnover. (40:15). I also do not see much wrong with Baille's turnover at (17:25) before Byrne's first three pointer, although Carley is very clear with his call and Baille should leave it once he's been informed. Willis also has a stonewall turnover not given before VDF's try - he's on the ball for three full seconds (ET 12:40 1st half). I haven't done a full re-watch but that's 13 points that came from decisions going Leinster's way. Any suggestion that Carley rode Leinster or was biased in any fashion is ludicrous. I'm far from his biggest fan as a referee, but he wasn't the issue for Leinster.

• Advertisement

• Wtf was Roumat doing if he wasn’t trying to stop the ball going back infield towards Leinster support players when he swipes at it and bats it into touch?

The ball also clearly goes forward off Roumat’s hand, anyone suggesting otherwise is blind.

He intentionally bats the ball, is not attempting to catch it, it’s a penalty.

Explain away there why they didn’t bother looking at Jack Willis smacking into Caelan Doris’ head with his shoulder in the first minute?

Claiming Carley is the reason VDFs try is awarded is **** rich when it was a stonewall, obvious try.

Your point about Baird “flopping over a ruck” is a barefaced lie; Dupont is still on his feet and it’s Baird who brings him to ground. Baird lands on the Leinster side and if anything is impeding Sheehan’s jackal.

Look at Doris’ hit on Ntamack in real time as well and you’ll see it’s timed perfectly, he hits Ntamack exactly as Ntamack rips it out.

Ntamack rips it and it doesn’t hit Jenkins again after that.

How good of you all though to bother watching the game in such detail again all to defend Matthew Carley’s sterling reputation. It’s funny how Gianluca Gnecchi was still getting criticism from some of you last week for his performance in a game Munster won (and where all his most egregious decisions favoured Munster) but it’s Leinster fans grasping at straws here when we cite the numerous ways the refereeing team made serious errors in the game on Saturday.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

VDFs try certainly wasn't a stone wall obvious try, there was no conclusive angle showing a try had been scored. On the only angle they had it was unclear if the ball had been grounded short, it was only Carley who was convinced it was scored.

Excellent post and I stand corrected, I said penalty for dummying the pick & go, it should have been a FK

• Went back and looked at your “clear stonewall turnover” that Willis doesn’t get at 12:40 in ET too, and it’s another incident where you’re seeing what you want to see.

Willis is one of the tacklers, absolutely never has a clear release and is pretty much immediately leaning over the ruck with his forearms fully resting on JVDF. He should have been penalised at this ruck, like multiple other times.

When this is your prime example of “Toulouse getting hard done by” then I think you’re the one grasping at straws here.

It was a bloody good contest, the momentum swung from side to side all game. Some outstanding defences, last ditch tackles bodies put on the line, and moments of individual magic. It was a real pleasure to be in the ground watching it. It really could have gone any way and on a different day it would have. We had Blair Kinghorn's family sitting in front of us and had good craic with them all throughout the game which added to it. Tottenham Hotspur stadium is excellent.

As I heard a fan say in the bar in the stadium afterwards, sure we'll go again! I hope all the haters enjoy sucking their lemons. Hopefully Leinster dust themselves off now and go win the URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

WTF is Roumat doing… it's a penalty

No it isn't - this has been explained repeatedly. The TNT commentator (if you're watching the game on Rugby24) literally calls it as it is in real time. There is not an "intentional bat" by Roumat - it is definitely an attempt to control the ball - and it is most definitely not "clear and obvious" gone forward from the angles we are shown. Even if there is an extended TMO check, that's not getting given as a knock on.

Claiming Carley is the reason VDF try is award is rich

When you can show me an angle which clearly and obviously shows the ball both on the ground and over the line in the same frame, I will concede this to you. Otherwise, I stand by it (see also Awec above)

Baird lands on the Leinster side

That's a nope from me, Chief. (Note for others, you're looking at the guy Sheehan is directly over - not Jenkins who is to be fair well out of the way and rolls after this too). He's directly over the ball carrier's torso.

Look at Doris' hit on Ntamack

I never said it was late. Even when a clearout is perfectly legally timed, you can't take someone out four or five metres beyond the point of contact. This is basic.

How good of you to watch the game in detail again

I literally didn't, as I highlighted above. I simply looked at the incidents which you have spent the last three pages complaining about. I don't know what the craic is with your Munster rant, but I think it's showing your true colours a little bit.

Willis is one of the tacklers, absolutely never has a clear release.

Since, I love being a pedant - Willis is a tackle assist; not a tackler. And I think you'll struggle to find a clearer release than that screenshotted below. I do appreciate your description about how Willis is clearly on the ball and not past the ball on the grass as you see with some jackals.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ribs1234

twice you’ve stated the ref has a good game. In most games of rugby the score difference at the end means getting a few of the big decisions wrong doesn’t change the result. This game was different, it was close through 90 minutes, so EVERY decision made a difference.

From all the comments on the game in Ireland, it is clear that VERY high standards are expected of Cullen, Byrne, attacking patterns, players etc, so why not ask the same of the referees?

In the referee’s defence, the game is now too fast with too many laws to officiate and so the best team does not win the tight games (quarter final ire versus NZ and Leinster v La Rochelle Dublin final spring to mind).

For that reason, it is difficult to be a supporter - I think we’ll see less money in rugby union as a result, less tickets sold, lower popularity of touring events etc.

unfortunately for Leinster now, the performance no longer matters, only the result - I will mourn the loss of the way Leinster have played for the last few years ( it was exciting to watch even if it didn’t bring trophies). I expect the same bish, bash crap that we see in SA, England and France will be introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is an outstanding post that clearly shows, with evidence, that none of those incidents were as LP so vociferous described

• So Roumat is “definitely an attempt to control the ball” despite him simply swiping at it with one hand but Lowe is definitely just intentionally knocking it on? Right. The ball absolutely goes forward from Roumat, then bounced on the ground backwards into touch. The first movement from him is indisputably forward.

You’re shifting the goalposts with every post slightly - first Doris’ hit on Ntamack is late, now it’s “perfectly timed” but he took him too far past the contact. He smashes him as Ntamack is on the ball, which he’s entitled to do, and hits him just past the collision. Ntamack wasn’t going to be in position to play that ball regardless.

Your first post on Baird’s incident before half time claimed he just flopped “like a dead whale” over the ruck, until I pointed out he’s actually the tackler bringing Dupont to ground, now it’s he’s lying on Dupont’s torso. You can see from Sheehan’s hands where the ball is ffs, Baird’s not impacting that at all, and is impeding Sheehan more than Cyril Baille who is simply slow to react. There is nothing impeding Baille from getting in there and there is no other Toulouse player hitting that ruck. It’s a **** obvious Leinster penalty, but it’s one of your great examples of poor Toulouse being hard done by.

The still of Willis already shows how he’s leaning on VDF. Show the stills from a second or two later and you can see his legs are fully down on VDF.

Where’s the analysis / screengrabs of Willis hitting Doris in the head in the opening minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

my lasting impression is that it was a good if not great final , exciting to watch due to the closeness of the score.

Congratulations to Toulouse and commiserations to leinster .

I will leave it there as this thread is turning into a ref bashing/munster bashing circle jerk for some posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Good not great was my impression too.

I thought Leinster 2023 win that by two scores. La Rochelle 2023 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's a certain irony that the most toxic posters, who've done more to drive people away from this forum than anybody, are now patting themselves on the back for their outstanding comments and objectivity.

TBH, I think most left because of the constant sniping, it now seems there's a concerted effort by a few fans to drag every thread down the snipe, snipe, road. Yesterday, the Ireland Thread is a fine example of it and then of course, there is also the issue that if you disagree with anything Ireland related then you're told you hate the coach and Ireland.

I've been following this thread and I don't remember reading much, if anything, about Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭trevezel

always the same comments about referee…bla bla …

but i ask you guys, who is currently the best referee in the world ?

should Nigel Owens be back ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: That's the end of this. You know that if you have an issue with a post etc to report it, and/or DM the mods, instead of giving out on thread.

And more generally:

• Any more off-topic posts not about the match are going to be warned.
    • It's the Tuesday after the game. Any more sniping is going to be warned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Mod: Munster weren't playing, nor were Ireland. And cut out the social commentary about poster's behaviour.

I'll leave it open in case people still want to discuss the match, but it's close to being closed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The first movement is not 'indisputably forwards'

The touch judge was right there and didn't call it forward, and from the images below, Roumat was standing in front of the 5 metre line, at full stretch when he knocked the ball, the ball falls downwards and lands about a metre past the 5 metre line and then bounces into touch.

Its nowhere near as 'indisputable' as you say it is.

Leinster get a 5 metre lineout with their own put in. You should be more concerned with the fact that they failed to convert that into any points

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Its not about the mistakes, it's about consistency. If you see a thing one way then you have to see it the same way for all those events. Chopping and changing your mind on similar plays is going to upset most people.

When Lowe knocked it down I felt he was unlucky but that it had to be a yellow card because that's the rules of the game.

If anything Roumat's attempt was more intentional and when I seen it and the replays I was certain it had to be a yellow.

I was sad when Nigel Owens retired, he was an outstanding referee.

Advertisement