Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You can listen to it here. 300 people turned out to the public meeting on Friday. Focal point was that more refugees were being put into the local hotel, but mostly about accessing services/housing/language for general population

And last night, refugees were moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭H_Lime

You see there's a difference of outlook here, when I see tens of thousands of kids being killed with Israeli, yank and brit bombs that just doesn't sit well with me. In fact I want that to stop, immediately. Do you feel the same? If not what part of your brain have you abused so much that that's OK with you?

Feeling this way does not mean I want Ireland to open it's borders to thousands of Palestinians. I think they should be able to live in that place called Palestine, they want that too. I'd wholeheartedly agree the neighboring Arab states need to take more ownership.

I'm in the wrong thread saying all this and I don't do social media because dealing with halfwits who've squeezed all the empathy outa their frontal cortex probably because they've being pulling the guts out of themselves in their bedroom of their parents gaf for years in between posting shyte like this is ehhhh bothersome.

And with that, I'm gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

Maybe if we diverted all the hundreds of billions wasted on immigration from the 3rd world, we could offer meaningfully large financial incentives for European citizens to have kids along with even more free and subsidised child care. Also, we should be comfortable with a small decline in population especially given the relatively high population density in Europe. More housing and less traffic along with less pollution is a win/win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Speaking of posting shite, you are the one giving out about states who are actually trying to help and offer aid

And got awful upset when I pointed out the glaring hole in your virtue signalling far left outlook which is leading to so much migration

If this aid is not offered then those people either die or migrate to Europe and Ireland which come to think of it is an acceptable outcome to the neighbouring Arab/Muslim countries in the area who spend more on building mosques across Europe than they do on helping Palestinians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭TokTik

If the new citizens are “Irish”, why do we have to have Africa Day every year, and recently Black History Month??, Ireland has very little black history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

From their readers. Do you consider their readers to be 'less than dust beneath your chariot wheels?' ;)

Would you say that considerably fewer than 14% of voters are concerned about the cost of living? Does it seem an unrealistic figure to you? How do you feel about the cost of living yourself? The cost of rents?? What about housing? Is it an issue do you think? Myself, I would say it very much is, both in the rental and buying markets but hey, maybe I'm wildly eccentric :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'Have to have '? Showing a bit of bias there poster.

There are many days/nationalities/religions celebrated in Ireland, do you think they're ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Quags

I really like this part where is the applicant does not have passport or ID then they still get processed but they can just make up fake alias like we have seen already happen. But thats ok cause we the Irish went to other countries when times were tough

"Article 31 of the Refugee Convention14 states a person seeking refugee status must still have their application processed even if he or she has entered a state illegally. The International Protection Act states that a person who is at the frontier of the State (whether lawfully or unlawfully) may make an application for international protection."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Let’s not forget that our dear president tweeted about Ramadan but nothing about Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Nothing new there. Being in a country legally or illegally is not a bar to claiming asylum. Surely everyone knows that by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

He's been radicalized. You can see it in his eyes .. God help us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Woah there horsey. I simply asked where the data came from because I wouldn't trust anything GalwayBeo publishes. So many questions to answer there. Yes I'd say a much higher % of voters are concerned with the cost of living. What's your point? I am in Galway and people often give out about that clickbait site. If you see it as a bastion of news media fair enough. Now, I am off to race my chariot and 4 white horses.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

So illegal immigrants can become "legal" immigrants by simply forgetting where they're from and claiming asylum?

These international obligations are merely vessel for illegal immigration.

Yeah but I didn't think hybrid could extend to 90%.

Ironic article here and FG's priorities.

===

Meanwhile, speaking in Dáil Éireann, Wexford Fine Gael TD Paul Kehoe has said that a number of providers who are accommodating Ukrainian refugees have yet to be paid by the government, with monies owed reaching up to €1m in some cases.

Appealing to the Taoiseach, Deputy Kehoe (FG) said: “I know of two providers, one being a hotel and the other a centre, that are owed over €400,000. This is not an isolated incident. The hotelier I spoke to this morning said he is considering his own position in hosting Ukrainians because of the lack of payment coming from the Department.”

"I would plead with the Minister to speak to the Secretary General at his Department on this issue so that it can be sorted as soon as possible. The Government should not be letting these people down. They rose to the challenge, and they are providing a fantastic service.”

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/revealed-what-wexford-hotels-bandbs-and-nursing-homes-are-being-paid-to-accommodate-ukrainian-refugees/42208703.html

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭star61

Absolutely I do. I am proud of our nationality and culture. The people who have moved here are very proud of their countries and cultures and indeed for the most part are full of praise for the countries they have moved from. Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Quags

Never said it was, I said about a fake alias. Plus not everyone knows about it, we are still learning but you know it all so thats ok ✊

It's literally a poll. Are you saying they're making it up or something? Cowen even said at the doors immigration is brought up on 50% of his visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

You're not really making much of a case to allay people's worries here. Did you notice that 'lack of integration' including poor language skills and unemployment were cited as factors. Do you think Ireland will be able to deal any better than Sweden with that aspect of mass immigration. Do you think our immigrants will be better integrated, more fully employed, less likely to turn to crime and gang violence (read about Somalis in Sweden) do you think we should be spending a lot of public money on continued supports and social/cultural education programs in that area?

About a week ago you mentioned Iceland and how it now has a large number of immigrants. So I did a bit of reading. Iceland's immigrant community has similar problems to Sweden's: more likely to suffer poverty, unemployment, poor educational outcomes, poor language skills.

We already have a number of children struggling in our education system and we don't have the resources to help them. And the reality is that the few resources we have will be spread ever thinner. Not only that many of the children of random economic migrants will end up in DEIS schools, in areas of socio-economic disadvantage where teachers are already under great pressure.

I have no doubt whatsoever that immigration is the biggest issue amongst the electorate. No doubt at all. But GalwayBeo is not where I would get my proof. I believe there were other polls saying it was. I am sure a quick Google would find them. I don't doubt the 50% either. Or higher. But quoting GalwayBeo polls just diminishes a point. Do you see what I am trying to say? It's like comparing CSO data with what Johnny McGillycuddy said down the pub.

I see what you're saying it's just odd to criticize the poll results when you've no doubt that immigration could be even higher than 44%.

It's a poll as voted by the public, not a report by GB. Bash the source all you like but it's no more right or wrong than, for example, the D4 referendum poll we saw.

Having it in for GalwayBeo's reporting standards is simply for another topic another day.

• Advertisement

Some of these countries must be laughing at how stupid and gullible Western left wing governments have been

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Right wing governments like Italy and the UK have been struggling with the asylum issue just as much as anyone else. PM Meloni said recently she underestimated just how much a challenge it would be before taking office and that she has no 'quick fix' solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Beyond sad to see our heritage, history being flogged for 30 pieces. Twas all for nowt

Drugs used to be the bad boy - destroying lives. Now our government is doing it for us.

We'd have got a better deal from the Kinahans

The mess in the first place was created by left wing policies and governments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

We weren't struggling with as much as openly cheerleading for more of it and labelling everybody with concerns as far right, nazi racists etc. It's only the last couple of months where the government have magically started with what was previously far right rhetoric by suggesting that this might actually a problem and shock horror, lots of them aren't genuine asylum seekers.

How do you explain the UK situation then? Right wing government in place for the last 14 years, probably 'hard right' for the last five and left the EU in the meantime : why should they be having any issues with asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Didn’t you held UK up as an example of successful multiculturalism only a couple of pages ago on this same thread

I don't think you get my utter disdain for GalwayBeo. I wouldn't put any credence in anything they publish - article, poll whatever. They are ridiculed in Galway constantly.

To make this point on electorate concerns, we have to reference Amarach or Ireland Thinks i.e. a credible polling company. Otherwise it's just noise.

Both can be correct : a successful multicultural country and struggling with asylum numbers at the same time.

But in any event, UK and Italy should serve as a warning that electing a right wing or hard right government won't make the asylum issue magically go away. You could have an Irish version of the Tories and Suella Braverman as Minister for Justice and still be struggling with asylum numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I was just trying to help someone who could not open the link. I have not read the paper as I don't have time at present but will have a look at it when I get a chance.

Advertisement