Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minor Captains Speeches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

They need to end all speeches. No need for them and they actually take away from the occasion. Thanking people can be done in other ways but the prepared speeches are done .. Theres been some shockers over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I don't agree, for adult level at least. I think we should strive to preserve traditions that make the GAA what it is, not get rid of them in the name of being progressive or whatever. Players are human, you're going to have good speeches and you're going to have bad speeches and while sometimes the speeches may bore supporters/the public, I'm sure the public thanks mean something to the recipients.

If I had my way I'd have the bishop throwing in the ball to start the game and managers would be obliged to wear slacks-polo shirt combos like the good old days. I joke of course but keeping GAA traditions alive and not trying to mimic other sports e.g. Artane Boys Band playing vs David Bowie blaring out over speakers when a team enters the field in Croke Park, is worth striving for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think it's probably a good idea at intercounty level. The young lads get a bit hyped, the language can sometimes be bad, and it's probably a bit too much pressure for a lot of them, giving a speech in a provincial final that'll probably be on TG4.

Would be a shame if it were taken away at club level though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Good point. I remember when I was much younger, and was captain - coming up to the final minutes and if we were ahead, I used to be dreading doing the speech. To the point that I remember actually thinking that I hoped we'd lose the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yes i can understand that. Public speaking is one of mans greatest fears apparently so the thought of a 16 year old having to get up in front of a big crowd and a tv audience might be very off putting for some and like you said could throw some off their game. I doubt you were the only one who nearly prefereed theyd lose rather than do the speech. It's uneccessary imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Public squeaking is not for everyone. I once piss pronunciated a lot of my worms 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Colm Keys evidently wasn't in Portlaoise last Saturday nor did he watch it on TG4 because the photographed chap in his article Bill McDermott (Kilkenny Captain) very much made a speech after Kilkenny lifted the cup and TG4 also broadcast it. He did fine, the language wasn't an issue (he should have recognised the opposition but he's a chap and got excited). The Leinster GAA chairman was standing right beside him and allowed him to take the mic twice, if not 3 times. Perhaps the article is written poorly because on my reading it says neither minor Captain made a speech maybe they meant to say they did make speeches 🤷

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The music been blasted at ground these days will lead to deafness claims againt the GAA, In the Mackey stand in Limerick last Sunday you couldnt talk to the person beside you due to the volume .

Colm Keyes and the Independent generally are just looking for the most negative article they can put together each week about the GAA- Martin Breheny trained him in well.

There was no speechs in the Scotish cup final I watched last Saturday then again it might be awakard for the Celtic Captain to ask for 3 cheers for the gallant losing team ( Rangers) LOL 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

what if someone threw a political line into the speech. Up Palestine or Offaly loves Israel.
    Speeches are unnecessary. We don’t really care who made the sandwiches after training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I imagine its a child protection thing more than anything else, stops any undue pressure. This said, when I was a minor I remember our captain giving a cheer for the other team, remembering a few names, it was nice. Same to be on the losing side as well, it focused your mind away from losing hat you had to stand and be stoic and take your applause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

This is becoming a problem at many sports venues. Supporters of the teams playing at Wembley at the weekend said that the traditional singing of the supporters was downed out by loud thumping music. Americans would tell you that it was one thing they hated about their own sports and they admired the ability of sports on this side of the Atlantic to let atmosphere develop organically. Other would, of course, dismiss these comments as ould lads (anyone 35+ at this stage) complaining about loud music. Speeches are, on balance, no great loss I think but there was no great harm in them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

You make a good point, I think the GAA are going the wrong way on the music too, especially when songs from the winning county are played after matches in Croke Park. It's trying to make a generic experience out of what could be unique.

On the captains speeches, it's fine for adult level, but it's too much pressure for kids at intercounty level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Speeches need to go. Also, pitch invasions are a disaster waiting to happen. Also, young lads bringing Hurleys onto the pitch for a puck around during the pitch invasion or speeches - another disaster waiting to happen.

Sure til be grand 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Croke Park has been at that for years. What is the point of it, people are not generally deaf, or at least not deaf going into the stadium? This is background music and you should be able to talk etc without it intruding. I think the basic problem is that a high volume setting may be appropriate for public safety announcements and they couldn't be arsed turning it down otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'll take a rendition of The Green and Red of Mayo any time after the final whistle of an All-Ireland. Even if it means going deaf for the remainder of my life. Shure one can but dream. I think my hearing is safe enough for this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Topcat32

The Kilkenny minor Captain did recognise the opposition and some of the Dublin management gave him a polite round of applause for it, other than that he kept it pretty safe and simple as you would expect him to do.

Advertisement