Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm - New schedule coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭yagan

It feels like everything is compressed and immediate, and I can imagine an 18 year old not getting any of what we're talking about.

However I reckon they'll feel as confused and perturbed about wars in Ukraine and Palestine like I once was about Bosnia and Rwanda.

Some things change, others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Shan Doras

What do you guys think of this newish thing of music radio stations asking for and using WhatsApp voice notes from listeners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah If I was 2FM I would look to have this across the board. You may not get everyone but you are support many others. There are plenty of other radio stations doing much of the Daytime stuff that 2FM do, why compete in a small market that is even small for the demographic.

In saying that you can't be snobby about the music you play or the presenters you have, but you can have a balance.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

I was in Luton at the weekend and it was full of teenagers at the Radio 1 big weekend so radio isn’t completely dead amongst teenagers ( or at least it doesn’t have to be if it’s done right)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So you're saying they should bring back the beat on the street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

no not necessarily. I guess Rte can’t get involved in concert weekends after the Toy Show musical disaster as they can’t be trusted not to run up a multi million liability

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Scrap the whole 2fm project and replace it with RTE Gold!

From having been exposed to Radio 1 when working in England I think music rather than chat being the central focus is the point.

I have LyricFM on all the time because it's mostly music. Scanning the dial while driving gets me either wall to wall 80s, Irish C&W or narcistic Dublin=Ireland non stop chat. My knowledge and appreciation of classical music has expanded in proportion to the void of music everywhere else on the dial.

Initially music was a primary focus of 2FM, chatting about youth issues expanded via Gerry Ryan show etc.. then teenagers became young adults, and then middled aged….. Radio 1 seems to keep stay focused on whatever music is relevant to a defined demographic remit, whereas 2FM keeps patronising its audience from the 90s as if it's the only audience that matters.

Not to mention the backlash from promoters who have to pay for advertising their gigs.

There was protestations from the main panto show producers and venues at the time of the Toy Show Musical who rightly said their business was being undermined by subsidized competition.

An interesting fact was mentioned in a Sunday business post article, Spin1038 has just the one producer working across their entire schedule from 7am till Midnight whereas 2fm has a minimum of 3 different people "behind the scenes" on each individual show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'll presume you're being facetious.

Everyone in this forum seems to be 40+ years of age, so his show is not geared towards them. He's a competent presenter, improving all the time, who selects some great music and champions young Irish artists… it's not a primetime slot and Beta hasn't announced he's leaving, so you would imagine it will stay as is as part of the new schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

He doesn’t play AC/DC, Steely Dan or Fleetwood Mac so obviously not to the liking of a lot of the pale, male and stake crew who think 2FM should become another station playing dad rock.

Outside Leinster, there are no Dad Rock radio stations on the FM waveband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭its_steve116

They could easily syndicate, a shorter show, 4-6 perhaps on all regional radio stations, and all from the comfort of their homebase rather than having to show face in Dublin.

They're been a perfect illustration of how the internet has decentralised national broadcasting, which mean RTE really shouldn't be competing at all in the light interment realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Tracy Clifford deserves the vacant seat at the breakfast show table I think. She's been on afternoons for eight and a half years now, and I think promoting her would be a good alternative to an external hiring.

Post edited by its_steve116 on

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Isn’t their producer just on the breakfast show? The music presenters have no producer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RINO87

Aifric and Andrew probably most likely to get drivetime come to think of it, at least for summer anyway.....while they figure out where Ferg goes.

All 3 were filler on drivetime over Christmas and were not the worst. Andrew sounds a bit "community radio" to me, but as I said before I'm not the target market (at 37, I would like to think I should be, but hey ho).

I like Aifric as a sidekick/producer, was never too fond of her own shows.

Ferghal sounds much much better, and with a better playlist on 2fm than he did towards tge end of his tine on Today fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

they should try and get some of the old sound of 2FM back - how about they start sprinkling the crap playlist of todays songs with 2-3 rarely heard 80s/90s songs each hour on each show and not just as a "throwback" feature

• Advertisement

It literally came up and I replied to a post about it.

No correction I was replying to someone who replied to that post, but I had been thinking about his show on almost all of the occasions that I have post here.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

Colm and Jim Jim brings backs memories.

Jims Jims dad was a real tough one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

Could will Leahy return? Was popular about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

We’re going around in circles. We’re all too old to really figure it out. Even boards isn’t an 18 year olds platform so there’ll be none on here to enlighten us either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I think that might be the problem. Everyone had an idea of what 2FM should be come. TalkSports, Youth and Classic Hits!

Why not look at it from what's new rather than what's young or a particular demographic.

Remember even with the pirate stations 2FM was competing with a very different sound, perhaps that is the problem they are competing in that Cool yuff sound that never really existed.

There are 18 - 25 who want to listen to podcasts/radio about new music and interviews with the current set of Stars, but I'd say there was always a lot more who are not and never were interested in listening to a Dave Fanning type, now they don't have to listen to talkMusic radio they can go on Spotify and just listen to their own playlist.

And while we all might be getting older, TBH, its what we are all doing.

What Irish Radio Station did you listen to yesterday? What show? What presenter?

The 2FM presenters seem to think they are well known, I would offer that nobody is well known anymore, Streaming killed the radio / tv / video star.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement