Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crackdown on learner drivers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Absolutely. I see it every day at the 2/3 pedestrian traffic lights near my house. Every time I'm waiting at the lights I see people with their phone in their hand or on their lap.

Also as a cyclist in town, every time I am stopped at lights in traffic I see motorists, red light - pick up the phone, light goes green, they get beeped and they drop the phone and take off in a rush or with a fright (not checking their mirrors or around them).

There should be cameras at every junction in cities which catch people using their phones while driving. It's so commonplace at the moment it's frightening. People are so addicted to their phones they can't sit idle for 2 minutes at a red light without picking them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Enforce the current rules. They aren't doing that, never mind new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

They are unable to that's the problem so they bring in new ones to make it look like they are proactive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Logically yes I agree I wish we had better , but you see RSA releasing info such as this:

https://www.rsa.ie/road-safety/campaigns/male-drivers

When pinning blame on young, male or both and calling those "risk groups" is RSA ever factoring that young people, or male, drive more? If RSA , Gardai, media can make claims like this unchecked why do you expect a common Joe to be able to provide better more in depth analysis? They're the authority and they make vague sex or age discrimination all the time without having to prove any sex or age related driving patterns.

We're going to settle for the best available data, and hey if at the end of the day L permit drivers kill less people on the road because they're not driving as much the end result is all the same - the article is exaggerating how much of a threat they are to you, L permit holders don't kill any more people than the average driver.

We should expect better data and better journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

For the purposes of clarity, I did not advocate seizing a car for having an L plate with a qualified driver. I said that a vehicle with one driver and a L plate should be seized if it was in fact a learner driver and a fine imposed otherwise.

And the L plate as an alert to an L driver is ineffective if the L driver only does a hour a week in it and their Da is driving it for 30 hours in an entirely different style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW, it seems 53% of drivers are men, 47% women. that doesn't allow for one group driving more than the other, though.

(That was a reply to Kurooi's post, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

It does sound like quite the farce, having a "crackdown" on learner drivers.

Not a crackdown on drug dealers or violent criminals or bank account fraud or human trafficking - a crackdown on learner drivers.

Putting the taxpayer money to good use no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Punishing L drivers even more while the driving test waiting lists stretch more than 6 months. FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm happy enough driving round with both plates on TBH

Advertisement