Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Spain and Bilbao - recommendations

Options
  • 26-05-2024 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I want to spend a week in Northern Spain in August. The only “must see” is the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao. Apart from that, I want to be able to swim in the sea and eat well.

So, where should I fly to?

Where should I consider basing myself?

I’d consider hiring a car, but I’d rather not.

Any other “must sees”?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I would recommend staying in San Sebastian where there are loads of great bars and restaurants serving fabulous food. There are also some nice beaches for swimming.

We always hired a car when visiting bit AFAIK there are regular bus links between Bilbao and San Sebastian. You could think about flying in to Biarritz and out of Bilbao or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Use the train

Great service to bilbao from San Sebastian and lots of interesting places along the various railway routes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Would you recommend San Sebastian over Bilbao for a first time visitor? I've never been to Spain, and the sea resorts don't appeal to me. I prefer cities with good food, culture and friendly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

You can do both easily. You don't need to choose.

San Sebastian is one of the most beautiful places on earth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I would. I spent a few days in each but would go back to San Sebastian first. It’s just a gorgeous little city with oodles of restaurants, pinxo bars, wine bars, and a lovely beach and some nice walks in the hills beside it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I was in Bilbao and it was OK for a few days but it is a former industrial city that is reinventing itself as a destination for other purposes. It has nice river walks and the usual mix of bars and restaurants, and we went on a nice riverboat excursion out towards the port. The Guggenheim looks great but you would have done it in half a day tbh. I agree with those who favour San Sebastian and would go back there, though I'd imagine it is thronged in August. Other places in the region that are maybe worth a look are Gernika (largely for its historical significance) and if you head across the border into France, Biarritz, Bayonne and St Jean de Luz are all lovely. We called to Hendaye, which is barely across the border into France, only because its railway station is where Franco and Hitler met in October 1940 (their only meeting ever).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

yes, but you can do both. Deffo more time in San Sebastián. It’s my favourite place even had my wedding there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

San Sebastian is ridiculously nice - one of the most beautiful places in Europe. Biarritz is also very nice. Bilbao is okay but wouldn't rate it as a Spanish city compared to others. It has some nice mountain areas overlooking the city but I found the metro will get you out to some nice beaches near Plentzia for something like €2 an it takes about 40 mins from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Ok, I’m sold on San Sebastián. A quick Google of SB vs Bilbao confirms the consensus here.

So, any suggestions on where best to fly to in August? I presume the likes of Vueling as well as the usual carriers fly there.

Any suggestions on SB hotels would be welcome too.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Im in San Sebastian currently OP. Well on a day trip to Balboa.

Biarritz is closer and Ryanair fly there. I was planning on flying into Balboa and home from Biarritz, but the flights were to expensive to Balboa.

I'll post up a fuller review when I'm back, if you like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭samo

We are heading to biarritz and San Sebastián next week (flying into Biarritz and home from Bilbao ). Aer lingus for Bilbao is quite reasonable at the moment.

Look at FlixBus from Biarritz to San Sebastián bus transfer (10e pp) and Pesa from San Sebastián to Bilbao (around 12e pp)

San Sebastián was hefty for accomodation though,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

You don't need to choose. They're only an hour apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Last visit we stayed in Hotel Lasala Plaza. Lovely hotel and had just opened so was very good value at the time. Previously stayed in an NH which was fine but basic. Accommodation is very expensive particularly in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭skinnyfries

I can highly recommend the food tour in San Sebastián.

https://mimo.eus/food-tour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Must have been ten or twelve years since we were there, but we hired a car and drove from Bilbao and stayed in a coastal town called ribadesella, about two hours west of Bilbao. We've always talked about going back; food was amazing, the town itself is lovely and you're at the foothills of the Picos Europas there. There's also famous cave paintings literally ten minutes walk from the town - bit we happened to arrive during a period when they were closed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Looking at Casual del Jazz San Sebastián hotel now, as a reference point, around 170 per night for a couple. Could I get cheaper in the town centre, and is eating and drinking out very expensive?

Haven't explored flight costs yet. Would it be Dublin to Biarritz, or would it be better for a Corkonian like me to travel via London? TIA.

if you are there for August make sure it’s during Semane Grande. You’ll have a fireworks display every night and lots of other stuff

Food. And drink are very reasonable, so much better value than Biarrattz ( about 1/3rd of the price ) . lots of excellent bars and restaurants. Pinxos ( tapas) are amazing and worth having a few different ones.

Here’s one of the better places in the old town, it’ll give uou an indication of prices for a better place

https://www.bodegonalejandro.com/en/tasting-menu/#tasting-menu

and a drinks menu from one of the night clubs/ bars along the promenade have a cocktail and watch the sun set

https://gusansebastian.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/carta-GU-ultima-5noviembre-1.pdf

and if you want to treat yourself to a 3 star Michelin start. Book Arzak early Compared to Irish prices a tasting menu is really good value

https://www.arzak.es/en/background/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am envious. But brings back great memories of a fab trip the year before covid. Was in late September and San Sebastian (Donostia) was still hopping!

Started in Bilbao, then Guernica, San Seb, st Jean de Luz, Bayonne. And back from Biarritz, was all great but San Seb and Bayonne definitely the highlights. I didn't rate Biarritz much, it was a bit up itself and full of posers.

Did it all by coach and train, and it was very easy and inexpensive. Can't remember the hotel in San Seb, but it was more of a pension type place in the old town and was charming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth mentioning most of the hotels line the beach are are fantastic looking art deco yokes; we stayed in the blue one, hotel villa rosario, and it was 65 quid a night (over a decade ago!) for B&B for the two of us:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4654353,-5.0669533,3a,75y,241.87h,88.12t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOCpKJetzv8T7NHePH3ioMIV6yHJ7F1I2OHG3yc!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOCpKJetzv8T7NHePH3ioMIV6yHJ7F1I2OHG3yc%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya243.3851-ro-0-fo100!7i8192!8i4096?entry=ttu

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭peter4918

Lovely region, you should head across to Pamplona as well if you have time, it’s about an hours drive from San Sebastián.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

id think theyre more Basque than Celt to be honest?

i think the celts are basques.

though i have recently learned archaeology has moved away from the notion of 'celts' to a concept of 'celtic culture'

Advertisement