Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION - 4TH JULY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Shoog

Have you ever been in the presence of a young Tory - not a fashionable look.

It takes a lifetime to knock the egalitarian streak out of people and craft a true Tory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

II really don't know you go about squaring that circle.

Mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Indeed. I happen to know a couple of them being a regular visitor to Hertfordshire and you can tell they are tory before you hear them speak

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I used to work with a few between 2014-2016. Anti-Brexit, anti-Corbyn and moderately pro-helping refugees. A weird demographic but an intriguing example of how conservatism could evolve in the 21st century.

Instead, they looked to Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Randycove

that’s the biggest problem the Tories have, those voices have been driven out of the party.

Boris’ brother Jo is a good man. He entered politics for three reasons. Education, education and education. True conservative ideology is that education is the key to ending poverty. Give people the best education and they can get good jobs and be productive members of society and to an extent, that has happened, but cutting all services to the bone has made this almost impossible.

He was ultimately forced out though because his wife broke the story on the windrush debacle and it made him persona non grata to a lot of the hard line party members.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would disagree on the education part. Jo Johnson may sincerely believe that but the Tories gutted school budgets as part of their austerity programme and things haven't improved since then. If anything, true conservative ideology means running schools into the ground to keep people vulnerable to the bad faith nonsense they are relentlessly bombarded with in the tabloid press.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

that’s the modern conservative ideology and it has distanced them from their core base.

If you look at Brampton Manor or the City of London Academies, that is how business and education can work together, in those examples it works exceptionally well, but no thanks to the government and it just widens the north south education divide.

The ideology is their actions and they speak volumes.

Academies are just better schools that benefit the middle classes.

that is 100% untrue.

Take a look at Brampton manor and tell me which of their 89 students accepted in to Oxbridge are middle class?

Half of the sixth form get free school meals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't totally agree with that. I know plenty of bright working class people who say they had their education saved by academies. In a country where the education system is so terribly unequal it's a better system than not having it.

I'm not doing your research for you.

The Tories love academies because it's a benefit for the middle class, not the working class.

academies are simply schools that have opted out of local authority control and receive funding direct from the department of education. This allows them full control of their budget and also the chance to group together with other schools, businesses and private sponsors.
    They are still state funded though, can’t charge fees and their intake criteria will be based on geography and not selective, until the sixth form anyway.

A school in Tower Hamlets can’t become an academy and decide to start charging fees and only taking in kids from Kensington. It doesn’t work like that at all.

Sure but they sound more like exceptions than the norm. There are schools literally falling apart here and the government prefers its culture war nonsense than anything that would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,922 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oh I would in no way defend the British education system. Academies in their original guise as grammar schools were both symptom and solution to a very broken system. I would favour complete overhaul but seeing as that won't happen I wouldn't be too harsh on academies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Tories like academies and free schools because they have a bizarre aversion to anything state run or controlled. It is ideological yes, but not because of the student base. They'd rather see every school as an academy.

something like 80% are now. It started under the Blair government, but new legislation was put in during the coalition and it went from being a few schools to the majority. They still have the same obligations as when they were controlled by the local authority, so still have the national curriculum and take in anyone the authority tells them to and be subject to the dreaded OFSTED audits, they just have more financial freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Straight out of the Labour Party appeasement / dictator enabling pacifist wing circa George Lansbury 1932-1935. Luckily for Labour, Britain & Western democratic principles, this depression era version of Corbyn was eventually forced to resign at party conference.

Lansbury was just as pathetic as Corbyn, he even met Adolf Hitler, Jezza also would be quite happy to follow in his footsteps & cosy up to Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Opting out of local authority control was first introduced by the 1986 Education Act but unclear to me how many actually did. I suspect it was all about gutting the power of local government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Can we keep the thread on topic please. We've gone from mentions of the Russia-Ukraine war to progressively larger posts discussing it in great detail and it's derailing the thread. Leave it out please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Don't back doon on turning off younger voters, double doon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Now things get interesting. Can't remember where I read it but some analysis a while back showed Farage would bump Reform up 2-3 percentage-points. Might take Clacton but don't forsee them getting any other seats though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭Rawr

If / When Labour get into office, you’d wonder if they’ll finally empower OFCOM to enforce broadcast rules and give GB News a bollocking for platforming serving politicians & other impartiality rules for such a channel.

I’m going to guess Farage might not be strickly allowed under those rules to use his show as a rolling election advert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Terrific news, hopefully further hobbles the Tories and hands more seats to labour. I am guessing he knows GB News is a sinking ship given the huge losses.

GBeebies will keep trucking so long as their investors keep pumping cash in. The for-profit crowd (Like Discovery.inc) seemed to have pulled out, leaving others who are likely invested in keeping an far-right foghorn on the airwaves. They’ll pull out eventually, but the question is when. (Could be soon, could be years down the road)

But yes, splitting the vote is wonderful. Hell…maybe Lib Dems will actually end up as the main opposition party. What a mad notion, political rivals who aren’t swivel-headed loons….one can only dream of such halcyon days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bonkers losses and they seem to be losing/dumping a lot of staff, some of the on air "talent" are just awful. But as you say other motives behind it.

If Labour do get in, they might beef up OFCOM to have some teeth.

OFCOM technically have the teeth to sanction GB News for their infractions against impartiality rules, but just don’t enforce them. The Tories are not likely to want to give any difficulty to what amounts to 24/7 cheerleader for them.

But yes, as a just a business GB News is a shambles. It’s only saving grace is that they managed to automate a lot of their studio functions, but even then massive turnover of staff is never good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

ANOTHER election Farage won't get elected in. Whatever happened to helping his mate Donnie win? Is it just coincidence that Farage announces his intention to run after Trump is found guilty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He had to be in and left before he makes a comeback. He has never been an MP, so not making a comeback.

Crazy that anyone in Clacton would vote for him. He was asked during the press conference about how he would support Trump and his answer was that although he had to be back in Clacton each Friday he would still be able to do it.

So basically, vote for Farage and you won't have a local MP.

Advertisement