Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food on Stena Line Ferry to France

Options
  • 28-05-2024 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi. Does anyone have any feedback on what the food on board Stena Vision is like from Rosslare to Cherbourg. Have a fussy eater toddler and and pregnant wife who is sensitive to food at moment. Should we bring our own food on board basically. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

BYO , if food is same as on other routs ——- its MUCK

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭The Ging and I

By the time u get sitting down with it , its warm at best. I dont think its any better on any other ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The food on Brittany Ferries is fantastic. Rivals top Dublin Restaurants. They are however in the minority.

Have a fussy eater toddler and and pregnant wife who is sensitive to food at moment

Bring your own. On Stena you will get normal fast foody kind of fare. Nothing to write home about. Assuming you are going by car it will be straight forward to bring a cool box with stuff that everyone will and can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

In my experience it"s the same as food on ferries generally - more like work canteen food than an expensive restaurant. It's ok but then we're not difficult.

It depends on what your needs are: when I was pregnant it was certain things like cold pasta that set me off, or a few things I just couldn't face, like tea or coffee, but I think I'd have been better choosing from the food on board than trying to prepare things that would still be appetising 24 hours later. It was a need for complete freshness that really affected me. Anything that seemed a little "old" made me throw up. But maybe your wife is different. Warmish milk, as I recall, bothered me - but again, wouldn't that be harder to sort for yourselves? Things do get a bit "iffy" when you're travelling for hours.

As for the toddler - I would definitely bring snacks and food for that age anyway, because even when they aren't particularly fussy, anything new can set them off. So I'd say maybe choose with the child what they'll take on the ferry to eat. You could even pick and mix if they want something from the menu when you're there. There's no problem sitting in the restaurant with food for yourselves and giving your child something else - nobody would care.

And the food you've brought could still keep them occupied some of the rest of the time on the journey, even if they only pick at it. Might make your wife feel a bit sick though!!

Best of luck - it's a pain travelling while pregnant, but if you have a nice holiday it will be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Don't they mostly have microwaves to reheat? I can't recall if they all do, but I've definitely been on ferries with microwaves available. If not, I'm sure the crew would reheat if asked. Especially for a baby or a pregnant woman. They're usually pretty helpful, especially on Stena. I like Stena: they're a bit basic (not in a bad way, but less magic shows for kids, smaller shops, stuff like that), but very helpful and friendly, which is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Gullivers Travels

We have taken this ferry route a number of times, its cheap food served in bulk. So if you are a picky, sensitive eater try and bring your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I have to say that I find the food on the Stena ferry to France (staffed mainly with Polish/ Philipinos, compared to irish sea which has locals on board from what I understand) to be spot on.

Its pub grub more than canteen. Carvery / chicken curry rather than anything super complicated or inventive but its tasty/ edible . The selection is relatively small though, so you could get caught out handy enough

Anyhow, the ferry journey is not that long when you take into account that you'll be in bed for 8+ hours. You could maybe eat beforehand and then with snacks etc, for the evening and a coolbox with milk for some cornflakes or cereal in the morning, you could manage to bridge the gap and eat on dry land again.

As for a fussy eater, that could mean anything. When ours were little they would eat the likes of couscous and home made random stuff they were used to, but no chips or nuggets or other sh1te which made ferry or UK service station stops awkward - but a kid raised in a family that does a chipper every friday might only eat chips and turn their nose up at couscous . FFS, I know a 4 year old that loves fishy sushi but are they to be considered fussy if they were to turn their nose up at nuggets that 90% of kids gladfully eat?

Advertisement