Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

We need a King. A King of Thomond. It's a pity none of the ex Munster players didnt throw their hat in the ring. Leave it to the councillors and national politicians to fix hospitals and housing…… thats their job.

The King loves his people. One person obviously loved his people last night but he definitely lacked decorum and manners.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Councillors have no say on normal planning permission. That is totally in the remit of the councils planning dept. They do vote on Part 8 permissions, but the Mayor will only need 20 councillors to back any Part 8 proposals for them to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭patnor1011

They are all so clueless I would almost like to see Gerben getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Had a watch and it was overall a bit mixed

Sheehan & Butler , came across well for the most part ,I'm not entirely sure that Butler really wants it though but hard not give him a good chance and very competent.

Leddin was very mixed, dodged around the early questions badly, but confident in himself as always. Usual buzz words that he throws out, did like his answer on the 40m private fund though but not sure he appeals to the county farmers at all or many !!.

Ryan also acquitted herself well and seems very competent, whenever Daly wasn't trying to interupt her that was .

Daly …will get votes for his "stick" but my good please no. cllr is his level.

Maurice seemed to be winging it somewhat , came across how like he is usually as a nice person.

Elisa o' D ,not enough time or information really very city orinintated.

Helen o'D, hard gauge seemed well rounded will appeal well to the county ..could be her

Beasly ,came across ok ,know nothing about her or Anontu for that matter

J Moran, Ok, speaks well and seems like a good fit but may not appeal to all.

C o Morain ,transparent mad !

Uunk animal mad but seemed nice.

Ruairi Fahy ,spoke well and fast ! made some sense but not enough appeal.

the other 2 nothing of note really.

Post edited by geotrig on

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Just because you disagree with a candidate's views doesn't mean they are rubbish. I thought under the circumstances, some performed well and some not so well. There are some I would disagree strongly with but did ok. With limited time to talk, I don't know what impact this will have on the voters. I've never heard Frankie Daly or Maurice Quinlivan speak much until this week. For such a senior politician I was a bit surprised at MQ's performance. As for Frankie, I really don't think he'd be the best person for the job…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe it's because he is a councillor but I don't understand why Daly isn't being listed down with the other no hoper independents and minor party candidates. He's not worth talking about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

As a Clareman watching , I must say I enjoyed the programme despite its inevitable limitations due to the number of candidates. Positive programme about Limerick in contrast to so many negative ones of previous times. Candidates were enthusiastic displaying a sense of pride in their place and a willingnessto developthe region . Most were very articulate. Hopefully a capable candidate is elected. If he or she makes an immediate impact then the other regional cities will.be 'screaming ' for an elected mayor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Likely just going off the last general election. Didn't it come down to him and Leddin for that last seat as TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As an outsider looking in I hope ye don't mind me giving my tuppence worth.

I'd give my vote to J Moran.

Not because I have any connection or even like him personally.

He's smart, well connected, has a strong CV and really wants the gig.

A serious person for a serious job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Or as someone pointed out somewhere, he has left every job he had for something else. Maybe, he'd leave the Mayor role mid term too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Not a great bunch really, One or two capable of the job.

I thought the young lad from Labour is the only one that will come out of this with an enhanced reputation, a few have destroyed their chances in a General.

No idea who will win given the fact that no one will get over the line in the first count, I suspect it will be between Moran/O'Donnell and Butler on account of transfers, whoever wins between these three will go on to win it.

And, more importantly, not one of them had the balls to promise to reopen Costello's….charlatans the lot of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He will poll well. His support comes from not only less well off areas like Moyross and Thomondgate but also middle class areas like Corbally, where he lives. He is popular with younger voters, those who usually would not vote at all or who may have recently become eligible to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

You wouldn't expect him to pick up many, if any, votes from outside the city though.

Unless of course those voters were swayed by his final outburst last night, "a vote for me is a vote for rural Limerick'!

I can't see him adding to his general election numbers and I think the extra exposure will lose him votes.

It's highly likely that he'd leave. Twill be a right shock to his system when he sits in the same room as the city and county councillors and a far cry from the luxurious boardrooms and sophisticated company of New York, Frankfurt and Geneva

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Agree with most of the comments here on people's general thoughts on the debate.

What struck me about a lot of the Mayoral candidates is how they seem to be still at 'council election' level - not running for the ' new' mayor job which needs a rake of different skills - admin, people management, budget and finance skills, negotiation and a bit of craft - plus all the usual roles of mayor. Most of all ? Competence.

This is a chance to build the role up from the start, basically make it ( within limits, obviously ) what the mayor and the city and county wants. Otherwise what's the point ?

I'm still undecided. I never follow usual party votes on things like these ( or on the European elections either - have voted almost everyone - apart from obvious loons - over the years) - so waiting for someone to impress here.

Some of them not at the races at all. Profile raising exercises only by some.

I think the issue is that as it's a new position nobody is really sure how to approach the campaign. By the time we get 5 and 10 years down the line and the position is well bedded in I'm sure the campaigns (and candidates) will be far different to this one.

It could be a great position if we had devolution and decentralisation happening at the same time. But that horse has well bolted. As Maurice Brian and John stated , the post is not the one they had imagined and is in fact very limited. The dilly dallying in Government Buuldings over for 5 years explains why it will fire blanks into the night. Everyone knew it and now the Emperor has no clothes and will be strutting down O Connell Street in June, to the hoops and cheers of the happy citizenry. ( That should actually be happy 'customers' because councils have thrown out the old fashioned 'citizen' and replaced everything with 'Cushtumer Shurvices'. This would mean that the Mayor is no longer 'first citizen' but is actually the 'first customer' and paid the princely sum of 150,000 to be so annointed. First Customer So and So)

Moreover, the Mayor has zero influence on Irish Water or housing, two key powers that were stripped from local democracy during the past 15 years. Control of water controls the ability to build houses and when you dont have it , you cant build housheens. The council does not independently have the power to do anything that really affects peoples lives. For instance , how have the last bunch of councillors , acting individually or as a group improved the lives of the people of County of Limerick and the City of Limerick in the last 5 years. It's impossible to name one initiative delivered in part or whole.

Is it possible that, given the money squandered by LCCCC on Limerick Main Drainage, the Southern Ring Road and Tunnel PPP, Limerick Regeneration ( all the houses knocked and never rebuilt, O Connell Street Pedestrianisation, the Opera House, the empty cycle lanes, Cleeves Chocolate house, City of Culture and the unprocured CEO debacle, 2020 failed City of Culture bid (which Galway won), Northern Rhapsody Road. Pa Healy Road ( does anyone use it) and more cycle lanes, that now at this late stage in the game, our own Joffrey Baratheon could put house Thomond in order ???

Post edited by Pman on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

After watching that debate, and the Limerick post one, I can only conclude with the greatest confidence that there are too many candidates. A good argument could be made for having a run-off style vote before the main election, top 5 in a pr-stv system to fight it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We need a King. A King of Thomond

Best to stay away from real people in case they win I think... What about Countess Hairband? From the planet zog coming here with the intention of enslaving the human race one city at a time? Political party is the Fanatic Extraterrestrial Congressional Kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 TheBigFella_2

Candidates talking about housing and the UHL as if the Mayor will have any say in these matters. It's as if most of them don't realise what the role is

Oh they know and they know that the people don't know.

You won't win this election without some performative outrage regarding UHL.

So authority to give normal planning permisssion ( at least sign the approval letter ) still rests with the Director General ( prreviously CEO/ City Manager) does it?. Are there any new meaningful powers associated with this new role at all? .

Can he/she at least cancel parking fines ?

or Can she/he hand out grants for disabled access ramps for houses

or can they order the sculpting of another marvellous personality that DJ'ed or drank for Limerick.

At least The sculpture of the Munster Rugby player Mr Foley is an outstanding piece of art and commemoration. They got that right at least. Cllr Hanratty is the man to thank for that wonderful addition. By the way, I wonder were all these things procured fairly or was it 'i know somebody that'll do that'

or can they order that a street be cleaned immediately following a schmozzle ?

I'm still at a loss having read the 50 pages of the Oirichtais report. I never went to college though and as Lord Corbally crudely says I'm not an academic that understands these things easily so I need experts to tell me.

Download the booklet from here. It's all there in pretty simple English.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭boetstark

OMG just got that leaflet from Cathriona ni cathasaig in our letterbox.

It's like encyclopedia brittanica in size. Is she a credible candidate that will get votes.

An absolute load of crap , from Limerick Soviets to Gaza to looking to cut ties with businesses linked to Israel.

Unbelievable

Essentially no she is not a credible candidate for mayor.

Just playing to her own base for the name recognition for both herself and the party.

The constant negative criticism from some of everything to do with the mayoral election is getting a bit tiresome. I don't know what these critics actually want from the role or the candidates. There is a wide range of candidates from different backgrounds with different plans - if you cannot find one you more or less align with then I'm not sure what you're looking for.

I just hope in 5 years time we run the mayoral election on a separate date to the local elections so that it gets the attention it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

• Advertisement

I don't think the local elections are big enough to take away attention. It's both time and cost consuming to run them separately.

It's going to be a constant problem for the mayor to have to deal with people who have no idea what the job is sadly. They will be a lightning rod for every moan and complaint.

Advertisement