Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia-Ukraine War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

» And I sincerely hope - were your words, I do not care one bit about Daly and please dont try to make some elaborate constructions connecting me with what she said or did.

This is war over resources it was clear from the start when 2 of the most rich counties in Ukraine tried to jump ship and Ukraine did not want them to leave. Russians happily supported that move. Result of that conflict at this moment is that Ukraine lost another 2 counties and if you know anything about Ukraine you would know that first 2 lost territories are the most valuable in terms of resources and other 2 are where most of the grains are produced.

There is nothing in western Ukraine other than forests.

This is and always was a war for resources - the same as most of the other wars fought recently all over the globe.

I said pretty much I did not say definitely.

Yes, slavs are ethnic group with little difference between various nationalities. There is no homogenous group of certain nationality despite what you want to think as you simply do not take in account history of for how long they all lived together.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Was it not a war to rid Ukraine of Nazis?

People on both sides are being forced to fight. While there are certain people who may want to go to war for the thrill of it or something else everyone who is normal in their head would steer clear from anything like that. Ukrainians in Ireland and all over the world who ran away are prime example of that.

Mercenaries and crazies who enjoy it tend to expire quite fast and the longer the conflicts last the less people are eager to volunteer. Forced conscription and increased emigration follow.

In case you did not notice there were protests by Ukrainians everywhere when they were denied consular services. None of the millions who left is packing his bags to go back to fight for your idealistic worldview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

LNR and DNR wanted more federal independence from Kyiv, but a majority didn't want to join Russia. Putin used the instability post-Maiden (which the Kremlin had been openly working on for years) to launch a proxy invasion of Eastern Ukraine. When that didn't work, he launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine 8 years later.

Russia is the largest country in the world, floating on a sea of oil and resources. Any occupation of land by an invader results in stolen resources - you're just lazily inserting that as the "reason" for the war. Putin is openly obsessed with the conquest of Ukraine, planting a flag there, rewriting "history" and absorbing the nation into Russia. He cannot have what he sees as Russian territory joining Europe and "the West". None of this is any secret, you can watch any of his warped rambling imperialist speeches, or just tune into any translation of the evening news of there.

"Both sides" again.

This is another attempt to put Ukrainians on the "same level" as their invaders by constantly drawing false equivalence.

Ukrainians are defending their country and homes, hundreds of thousands signed up voluntarily to do this.

Russia is invading, their men are doing it solely for the money or conscripted. It's completely different.

Ukrainians don't "enjoy" this invasion, they don't have a choice. Many have been killed, 10's of thousands have lost limbs, it's unsurprising there are difficulties with recruitment. Fighting at the front is absolutely brutal. Despite that (and difficulties) they are still going back, 10's of thousands have returned, I know multiple Ukrainians who have gone back this year to fight.

Note the sneering tone in this post, contradicting the "concerned" tone in the last few. We've seen this BS many times before in it's many forms.

You are desperately trying to pick up and twist some details as they do not suit your narrative.

So you are saying that Ukraine army is comprised of volunteers only and they are fighting for free just because of their desire to free their country right? And Russian army is just a conscripts who are in it for the money. Don't know how you classify Donetsk and Luhansk Ukrainians who fight for Russian army. Perhaps as a terrorists.

Would you care to put a number on your "multiple Ukrainians who have gone back this year to fight" argument? We know that over 6,5 million left.

As for your observation re sneering or concerning tone I say that you see what you want to see. I refuse to join your happy warmongering club celebrating explosions and killing when they are done by one side and concern and scream about justice when the same is done by other side.

My position is clear and consistent from the start of this sad affair. I despise this war the same way I despised every other war which happened. There is no rightful or just war it is all just a killing, destruction, murder and plunder where poor people pay the price while rich people are getting richer in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Pat or, would like your opinion on what resources Russia was /is after in that part of Georgia and Moldova it occupies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

I classify them as slaves being pushed at gunpoint to die and make space for the colonisers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

"I want peace" isn't a plan. The alternate you are proposing is to un-arm Ukraine, let Ukraine be over-run and let russian genocide occur.

That isn't an acceptable plan to anyone reasonable bar russians huffing down putins fumes (remembering that russia has barely made any progress beyond what they have been fighting in before 2022 anyway in the donbas and luhansk regions.

Most on here would arm Ukraine to the teeth with whatever weaponry they wanted (putin has proven impotent in stopping this), instead we're in a half-way situation where Ukraine is being given enough to defend itself and continuously grind russian conscripts into mincemeat.

From some country's perspective, that is fine, as russia is being de-fanged very cheaply with only Ukrainian lives on the line. russia in just over 2 years has rendered its armed forces inert, destroyed the remaining vestiges of its naval power and hollowed out its population which was already shrinking with unbalanced demographics.

But I'd be in the "Give Ukraine whatever they want and can handle" camp, which includes letting other country's patrol its airspace.

Calling it a civil war is also a very sh*tty thing to say, I doubt you'd be so happy if people proclaimed Slovakia as part of russia (maybe you would given your posting?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Soooo, sweeping generalisations informed by nothing but your own voyeurism, bitterness, prejudices and paranoia. Glad we cleared that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think you protest a bit much with that "man of peace" schtick.

You are following the war very closely from start and you seem to have always had a preferred outcome. That is a Russian victory of some type, with Putin achieving some or all of his original goals, a view most people in this country would find odious.

It's hardly "peaceful", a lot of people are going to suffer in that future. Far from certain there won't be another, maybe larger, war in Europe after Putin succeeds in Ukraine either. At this stage, way their leadership seems to have gone fullspeed back to a kind of Stalin era of constant aggression and expansion. I would say more wars are highly likely.

I don't believe wanting to see Russia's military fail + get a severe beating (which will unfortunately involve deaths of alot of Russians visiting with the "Slavic brothers" in Ukraine) makes one a warmonger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The true war mongerers are those who excuse Russia's actions in launching this illegal, unprovoked war of plunder against Ukraine, and who seem to condemn the innocent for defending themselves against atrocity more than those actually committing the atrocity. Who 'both sides' such conduct - which you have done. In condemning everything you condemn nothing, you don't condemn what needs to be condemned.

Those who would reward Russia for their aggression and atrocities. Which is what your position of peace now at all costs would do.

That is far more likely to lead to more such wars and conflicts, than those who seek a secure Ukraine that is safe from Russian invasion.

So if you are concerned about war mongerers, look in the mirror. It is you who give succour to war mongerers when you treat the attacked (Ukraine) on the same level and as culpable for the war and atrocities as the attacker (Russia).

If there is no just war, then the innocent are not entitled to defend themselves against aggression, a philosophy which would inevitably lead to the aggressors doing whatever they want. The likes of Putin would hear that and laugh. A recipe not for peace, but for war.

That is where your morally and intellectually bankrupt position would inevitably lead.

A position which does not distinguish between moral behaviour (between the attacker and the attacked, between the rapist and the victim) is morally bankrupt.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm against war give Putin what he wants.

That will cure all future wars. I'm convinced of it.

In an alternative universe there is an Ireland where the Brits invaded 30 years after independence and there is a poster on boards.hu called patnor11 bleating about “ah tis just a civil war”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

» So you are saying that Ukraine army is comprised of volunteers only and they are fighting for free just because of their desire to free their country right?

Nope.

»your happy warmongering club celebrating explosions and killing when they are done by one side

Bingo.

You join the ranks of those who can't stand the level of support for Ukraine. They can't stand when people celebrate battlefield success by Ukraine. They can't stand that people celebrate when the invaders take losses. It "irks" them when someone posts a clip of a Russian tank being blown up.

They think people are "celebrating" death. No, they are celebrating life, the lives of Ukrainians who don't deserve any of this horror for a second.

I am delighted when Ukrainian defenders take out a Russian tank, not because I want those poor sods from Siberia to die, far from it, but because those Russian soldiers will go on to murder, torture, rape Ukrainians, steal their property, destroy, occupy - and the only thing that's stopping them from doing that are those defenders. None of whom want to be there. But they don't have a choice of peace.

It's Bucha or defend. Those are the only options available.

Your alternative narratives and pearl-clutching act about the "tragedy of war" are fooling no one.

Over two years in to the Russian invasion of neutral democratic Ukraine it's grim to see individuals who are still attempting to "both sides" it. Feel free to go on, let us know how you do "support" Ukraine but how it's just so terrible for both sides and that you just want peace, as if it's some mutual war where both sides are at fault and the Ukrainians have some option of peace they aren't taking..

You nailed it here even though you don't realize it.

As I said, war for the resources.

And not only do that ^ but have all their menfolk conveniently die first for the glorious benefit of the Kremlin oligarchy which already controls the largest country in world with endless natural resources

Both sides showed blatant disregard for wellbeing of their citizens with excuse of "protecting" them.

I do not care how it ends but the sooner it happens the better for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"both sides…"

Absolute nonsense. And dodging the question.

Bucha.

Any attempt to 'both sides' the conduct of Russia and Ukraine in this conflict is atrocity denial.

It is just repeating Russian lies and propaganda, the lies and propaganda of war mongerers. Under the guise of "peace", what you serve is war and atrocity.

That is not peace. Peace is not the mere temporary absence of active warfare, but a secure Ukraine safe from further Russian aggression.

You've been utterly unable to respond to the multiple posters who have completely discredited your posts, avoiding every question except by whataboutery and repetition of 'resources'. As if that proves anything. The Nazis wanted resources. The Russians want resources. Saying it is about resources says nothing.

Proof positive your argument hasn't a leg to stand on.

I got no opinion regarding Moldova. It seems that Romania does have plans to eat most of it as they claim Moldova is not a state but their breakaway province which they want to bring in the fold as soon as they can.

Abchazia is clear cut case as it share sizeable coast of Black sea along with proven untapped reserves of gas and oil. That is precisely the reason why Russia may try to go as far as Odessa region. Maybe that was their plan from the start, who knows. Thing is that while they were initially happy with Donetsk and Luhansk the longer war dragged on the more they added, Zaporozhia and Kherson actually with their respective coastline and access to gas and oil under the sea.

Some posters here argued that why would Russia want more when they are swimming in resources already. Why would McDonalds want a bigger share of the market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

When has Romania claimed this?

You are perfectly free to air your views.

You are just being called out on what seems to be very blatant attempts to miscast an invasion of another country as a "resource war" or "spat" so that both sides can be blamed.

This is why Clare Daly and Mick Wallace were referenced earlier, they do the same, except they cynically misframe the invasion as being a mutual war between NATO and Russia as part of their badly hidden agenda of systematically blaming Western nations for Putin's decisions. Demanding Ukraine reward it's invader with land, at a table that doesn't exist, to a dictator who does nothing but breaks treaties. Then hand-wringing and shedding crocodile tears about peace in their own fictional version of this "mutual war".

Sound familiar? Sorry to say you are doing the equivalent, then playing the victim card when it's pointed out.

It seems you may have personal beef or fixation with Daly and Wallace and if so please discuss this with them.

Please kindly point me to where I called this a "mutual war between NATO and Russia" and where did I stated that "Ukraine should reward it's invader with land"?

I am asking you again, kindly stop making elaborate construction trying to tie me with any animosity you feel towards Daly and Wallace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Breakup of countries is quite common and is happening all the time. … Catalonia case in Spain …

So by your logic, it would be perfectly acceptable for France to bomb the bejayzus out of the Iberian peninsula because the Catalonians in Spain identify more strongly with the Catalonians in France than they do with the Castilians, or the Asturians or the Galicians in Spain? And the world should let them get on with it because France has The Bomb?

Of all the out-of-whack reasoning I've read on this thread (and its ancestor) over the last two years, this has got to be the most desperate justification for supporting the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Paddigol

You do realise that to have one of those wars which you profess to hate, a war must be started. And for a war to start, a first shot must be fired. I think Putin satisfied that requirement twice - once when sending 'peacekeepers' into a sovereign nation and again when sending columns of tanks, showers of missiles, droves of soldiers and swarms of attack aircraft over the border into - you guessed it - a sovereign nation who didn't invite them.

It's that simple. Provocation or whatever - that's not your argument, you're simply saying you hate wars. By your logic, disputes can be solved through dialogue. So there's no excusing, even using that 'provocation' fig leaf, a ground and air invasion. That's the war you're talking about.

And yet - despite being encouraged by a number of posters, you can't bring yourself to suggest that the obvious end to this terrible war you hate so much, is for the invading force to leave the country they invaded and bring themselves to the negotiation table.

No, what you suggest as the only solution to this terrible war that you hate, is for Ukraine and its people to lay down their arms and crawl to the negotiation table. What do you think the outcome of that will be? Putin will turn around and say, thanks, now I'll go home and you can have your borders back? Of course not, what you know full well but appear to care little about, is that a democracy will be torn apart by an autocracy which will pick and chose what it wants from the carcass and leave Ukraine and the West to pick up the pieces of a war torn nation - broken cities, obliterated towns and villages and broken bodies.

With attitudes like yours, where the aggressor is treated the same as the attacked, its no wonder that Ukraine feels it has no choice but to keep up the military resistance. Putin is counting whole heartedly on attitudes like yours spreading, with the disingenuous suggestion that to resist Putin is to embrace war.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Yes, Romania claimed that Moldova is part of Romania. The only thing, Romania claimed it just in your own head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

@patnor1011

Some posters here argued that why would Russia want more when they are swimming in resources already. Why would McDonalds want a bigger share of the market?

Your argument doesn't make sense because the pain and suffering that McDonalds would be willing to endure in order to capture a bit more of the market pales in comparison to what Russia (or Putin, rather) appears willing to expend just to capture the eastern fringes of Ukraine. And if Russia is willing to undergo such a vast loss of life and material in order to get a bit more of the stuff they already have in spades, then it is behaving extremely stupidly because that is a very poor cost-benefit analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

"I do not care how it ends" sums up your view which is at odds with most people here who would like Ukraine to defend its borders and throw Russia out. The end of Putin and his expansionist ambitions as shown by Russian sources would be desireable too as he doesn't intend to stop in Ukraine. 'Better for everyone' I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Then share instead of telling us to do our own research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

You made the claim, the onus is on your to back it up. I'm not here to run off and try and find your answers for you.

You are getting way ahead of yourself. Your hypothetical scenario came from your head not mine. I simply mentioned that there is unrest in Catalonia. As far as I know they want to be independent from Spain. I never heard about reunification with France until you invented it.

Where do I support Russians exactly?

Oh I see, the old if you are not with us you must be against reasoning.

Sorry. Not interested in your Ukrainian or some Russian camp either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

One cannot simply "reject" another person repeatedly punching and kicking you.

You have made a completely nonsense statement.

You might as well "reject" breathing (or in your case, from the CT forum, the COVID p(l)andemic…).

If 21 years after Irish independence little green men suddenly appeared all over Donegal and Monaghan and then suddenly every UK map was redrawn to include Donegal (Donegal Nashe/Ours?) and the Monaghan people’s republic was proclaimed

And then after 8 years of bloody trench warfare the Brits held a “special military operation” that landed paratroopers in Dublin airport (Dublin in three days!) and rolled tanks into Fermanagh, Louth and Cavan and eventually proclaimed these “oblasts” as parts of UK as “per constitution”

Would you call that a civil war?

Again these elaborate conclusions.

Dunno what prompted you to believe that you know what exactly I want when I said that the sooner it ends the better it will be.

I have no idea how it ends and while it may be hard for you to believe since you are firmly on one side in this conflict I genuinely do not care how it ends. All I want to see is for killing and bombing to stop.

It may end the same way it ended up for Americans in Afghanistan and Russia may pack up and leave. Or it can end up the same way it ended up in Syria where some parts of the country end up being occupied by Turkey and USA and their resources siphoned out as we speak. Or perhaps it will end up in similar fashion like Kosovo conflict, who knows. Only time will tell but I prefer less destruction and lives lost.

Please educate yourself on subject you want to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I actually thought it was the other way around.

Many in Moldova would like to combine with Romania, gaining access to EU, NATO etc.

80%+ of the country are Romanian ethnically with Romanian as first language.

But Romania see it as being too much risk and hassle, as they would also incorporate a smaller minority group of Russian and Ukrainian speakers (hence making it more vulnerable to Russian aggression/imperialism). Not much to be gained for the Romanians tbf.

Because bigger share of market make your product more valuable. Why do companies buy competitors when they can just enjoy that money instead of spending them buying competition.

Wars are economy 101. The 4 regions captured are not eastern fringes of Ukraine but Ukraine powerhouse.

I am quite aware of that this is no place for anyone who is not firmly pro Ukrainian. The question I have is how is that make me pro Russian? This idiotic reasoning is not uncommon as everyone who is not pro Israel and dare to call for end of Gaza conflict is immediately branded pro Hamas.

Simple minds require simple solutions and all they offer is inability to accept that someone may not be interested in taking a side.

And you rejected that claim. End of story.

If you are not curious yourself it should end up there for you. I am not here to spoon fed you information you rejected even before you bothered to find out more about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Saying peace at any cost to Ukraine (and you have said the regions captured by Russia were valuable) and not condeming Russian agression and expansion is plainly pro Russian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Because you're behaving as if Ukraine are in some way at fault for defending themselves from a nation attempting to taking their sovereignty. You've already said you don't care which way the war goes. If Russia wins this war, it will end with large-scale genocide as that's been their end goal since it started. Question for you, do you think Russia is committing genocide?

• Advertisement

If you witness a bully beating up another person, and describe that as two people fighting…

That is plainly being pro-bully \ expressing a position favourable to the aggressor and doing a dis-service to the truth.

I think you may have timeline a little mixed up but all in all you may want to try some writing.

I do not like going in hypothetical scenarios as they tend to go crazy fast. But hey, in my opinion any war on island of Ireland involving NI and Republic may be called civil war and hey, NI can still be considered as being occupied by invaders.

It is not. On the contrary Moldovans were rejecting unification attempts as they value their independence and want to join EU as independent state. Romanian push which started right after Moldova gained independence scared Russian minority and result was short but bloody conflict resulting in stalemate in Transdnistria.

There is a barrage of claims and proclamations which started right after breakup of Soviet union and while it was kept at a bay until recently there is expectation that reunification can be pushed through more easily now with Sandu elected. Btw she holds both countries citizenship and quite few people think that if reunification move forward she may be more capable leader than any Bucharest can offer.

There is whole different world out there if you want to get on subject starting with wiki page cataloguing every call for it and continuing with published scholar papers claiming how there is no difference between the two of them and how cool it would be if they would be together. It is slow process but it is there and gaining momentum. Ukraine conflict just accelerated it more. They even voted Romanian as official language and replaced every mention of Moldovan language in every official document constitution including as Romanian. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Would you mind answering some of the questions posed to you there @patnor1011 ? Do you think the Russians committed genocide in Bucha? Do you think the stealing of children from the occupied territories and stripping them of their Ukrainian identity is a genocidal act by the Russians state?

Maybe it would feel less like an echo chamber in here if you answered some of those questions. Instead of dodging them like a coward. Thanks.

I said the war should end and sooner it ends the better it will be.

Peace at any cost and not condemning Russian agression is something you added in order to put a label on me exactly in check with "if you are not with us you must be against" reasoning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement