Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting method

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Feel free to ask me anything.

sure - do you really not understand the concept of disliking candidates in the way that you might also like candidates? or the meaning of the word 'preference'?

i don't 'want' to vote for my local SF candidate, but i especially don't want to vote for the lad who would ban Wednesdays because God told him to. so i give the SF candidate a preference above that lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Everyone has exactly one vote. It's literally one single, transferable vote. Yours went to Mary. For others, it ended up with someone else. I think batistuta's point is technically correct though. The effort involved in voting down the line is wasted for most voters. It's hardly that much effort though, and nobody is saying you have to do it. So, it's a bit of a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Shan Doras

Exactly that or even 1,5,8 on the LE ballot paper and 2,3,4,6,7 on the EU one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's not about whether they "really want their 13th choice" - it's about whether they want their 13th choice more than their 14th choice. I don't want Clare Daly back as an MEP for Dublin, but I absolutely want to prevent the two ***** from the National Party/Freedom Party getting in at any cost, so I absolutely will vote down to 20+ candidates.

Filling out the ballot in your preferred order is not tactical voting. Tactical voting is changing your preferred order to try and game the system - it's something that's often practically required in a FPTP system, and something that basically never makes sense in PR-STV

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

People talking about your vote 'dying' is a bit nonsensical.

Not really though. Around 30 people voted in one election for someone who was excluded after the first count and none of them had a second preference. So, their votes were dead. They didn't help to elect anyone.

I think the best advice is to put a few preferences down at least, particularly if your first preference is not likely to get elected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it gave me a chuckle to read 'i've seen 13th preference votes being counted' as if that's a reason to not vote down to #13.

it's evidence that you should.

if everyone stopped at three, bar one voter, that one vote could decide a seat.

just plain weird advice from someone claiming experience of the process. FWIW, the person i know who is most adamant about voting all the way to the end is someone who has worked on elections and count centres for 40 or 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well in my example my vote went to Mary only. Peregrinus's vote also definitely went to Mary, and then possibly went to Dave if it was selected from the batch that got Mary elected. It potentially then went to multiple other candidates as well.

This happened purely because we had our #1/#2 in different order. It really doesn't seem ideal to me.

Would a Eurovision/Formula 1 style points system be fairer? So something like 15,12,10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1 points awarded to our 10 selections. That way my 3rd choice would have as equal an effect as the other posters 3rd choice. Nothing much changes in this system - There'd still be a quota to be reached, you could still vote for just one or two candidates if you wanted.

Maybe what you want is the Senate system, where everyone's vote can be split. Whatever percentage of your vote that Mary needs to reach the quota goes to her, and then all Mary's votes get transferred on to other people at a reduced value.

To be honest though, the "error" that this corrects is often exaggerated. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Everyone still only has the one vote per election.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So you give the SF lad a preference, and obviously no preference to the God botherer, yeah?

But whether or not you give the SF lad a preference, it makes no odds to the God botherer, because you're not giving him a preference either way.

I mean yes, I see the logic of endeavouring to push someone into the 4th or 5th seat that from your perspective may be the lesser two evils.

But make no mistake, you ARE voting for SF in that instance, and your personal strategy would have to be replicated across hundreds, if not thousands of voters, to make a material difference.

I'll say it again, only vote for people you are happy to see elected. If that stops at No. 1, so be it.

• Advertisement

Your argument keeps coming across as an argument for voting down the list. The fewer other people that do it, the greater the chance that your vote might actually make a difference.

Was talking to some German colleagues a few years back - IIRC they said that for local elections, it's half something akin to our system and half a list system. Because most people who vote for political party candidates vote for the party and not the candidate, there's some sense in that approach. Independents probably hate the idea of the list system though…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

My reading of it is that only the transfers that got Mary over the quota get proportionally redistributed.

So if Mary needed 1000 votes to reach the quota and got 2000, the 2000 would be recounted, those transfers halved, and then redistributed. I think 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's mad.

This is actually the first time that we've had an electoral commission going into a PR-STV elections so hopefully they'll issue something to everyone explaining how these things work (In the same way that the referendum commission has been doing for years)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I usually fill in a preference for every candidate, like this

1, 12, 2, 11, 3, 10, 4, 9, 5, 8, 6, 7

I'm lucky, because in my constituency there is one absolute dickhead who I've always put last in GEs as long as I've been voting here. After that, there is a particular cohort of candidates that I'd have as low preference, then a few for higher preference.

So you voted for a dickhead, thats what you're saying.

This is my point entirely, why would you give someone who offends you any preference at all? Because with any preference, you ARE voting for them.

good lord man, your 'i'm an expert, AMA' is not going well.

i don't understand your ignorance of the reason for voting down to the end, for someone who professes to have witnessed counts going to 13 at count centres.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Nope. If you don't want "Dick Head" to get elected then ideally you'd like to see them eliminated as soon as possible or failing that push as many votes as possible away from them on the transfers so they are either eliminated later of are the last on the list. That means you need to vote down the line including voting for a couple of lessor "Dick Head"s as well. If you stop short then what you are actually doing is opting out of the process and leaving it to others to decide for you and you many not like their decision.

Back in the 1970s there was a case over in the West of Ireland where the voters nearly elected a right doozy because too many of them followed his suggestion to simply vote for their preferred candidates and then not to continue down the line! It seems very logical to them to simply not vote for the guy they did not like. But in fact what they were doing were exiting the process and leaving it to his supporters to decide the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭Allinall

The critical word is preference.

Your giving your vote to the candidate who offends you least.

If you don’t, you may be helping to elect the one who is more offensive.

a colleague of mine from rural kilkenny was telling me local candidates there were known to hand out combs with the teeth removed strategically, to illiterate farmers, before sending them in to vote.

the idea was they'd hold the comb up at the side of the ballot paper, and where there were teeth missing, to vote for the corresponding candidates.

i know that wouldn't work now, but he'd have been referring to the 80s probably, and i'd be curious if that could have been possible, or were the ballot papers too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

I see their point in fairness, realistically the only way your vote could transfer to your 13th preference would be that a higher preference has already been elected in an earlier count.

So you could end up voting for someone you never had any intention of voting for. I would leave it blank too, if they get in on other votes fair enough, at least I would know it wasn't mine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've generally never given preferences to more than there are seats available.

For the GE , I'm in a 4 seat constituency so I've rarely if ever gone past 4 in my voting preferences.

I can sort of see the argument for voting all the way down , but in a 4 seater for example there are probably 6-8 at the absolute most with anything approaching a genuine shot of getting elected so giving a preference much beyond that seems unnecessary to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Their point is completely and utterly wrong. Their understanding of the vote system is mistaken at best, and rapidly coming across as more likely to be wilfully ignorant.

The entire point of giving a 13th preference is that there is a 14th (15th, 16th…) preference who is worse. Giving a 13th preference means you are making it less likely for those worse candidates to get in. If you stop at 12, then you are saying that you are unable to differentiate between the remaining candidates. An example: in the Dublin MEP elections, if you vote 1 through 12 and stop, and don't give a preference to Bríd Smith (PBP) because you don't like her economic leanings, your ballot is saying that you equate her election with the election of literal neo-Nazis (the National Party). You're saying those two scenarios have the exact same preference for you.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This has been a thing forever. Some people will never realise its two seperate ballots. Same thing happens with dual referenda on a day - plenty of people assume you have to vote the same for both.

When there was a Leixlip Town Council and elections were held coincident with Kildare County Council it was quite common to see 1,2,3 on one and 4,5,6 on another; almost always for FF for whatever reason. Very rarely was it anything other than single party voting and being in alphabetical order wasn't uncommon either.

I really doubt it was just a Leixlip thing!

Some Returning Officers would take the 4,5,6 ballot papers as showing valid preferences but I believe the standard now is there needs to be a 1 or a (single) X to consider a paper valid.

There were no photos on ballots prior to, erm, 1997 maybe; making the ballos a lot shorter, so it could have worked

Here's a sample 1985 LE ballot:

https://irishelectionliterature.com/2011/05/17/sample-ballot-paper-from-independent-fianna-fail-blaney-1985-local-elections-letterkenny-udc/

There were often also less candidates than there are now, far fewer Independents for one. Donegal was different back then, due to IFF and the Donegal Progressive Party (sort-of Unionists, actually got some seats) hence that is relatively long.

That story about the comb is brilliant.

worth pointing out that the same chap was told in school by a teacher, that it was a legal requirement to group your votes by party or else it'd be considered a spoiled vote, a belief he carried through to the point where he told us about it. we disabused him of that twenty years ago (he'd be mid 50s now)

i.e. you couldn't vote (say) FF, FG, FF, Lab, FG - but you could vote FF, FF, FG, FG, Lab.

• Advertisement

The number of seats available can be inverse to how many counts occur. Particularly if its one - I presume you don't go that reductive and only vote 1 in a by-election or presidential election?

The number of candidates has far more impact than the number of seats.

Brian Lenihan was elected on the 11th count in a by-election, so no surplus only came in to play, only eliminations. On that last count, ~1500 votes transferred from FG to Joe Higgins - those will have had to be primarily people voting down the card to vote against Lenihan.

By comparison, Howth-Malahide MD has 7 seats and was settled in 3 counts in 2019, with only second preferences used. This is because only 9 candidates ran; 4 got over a quota and they distributed 3 surpluses before all seats were filled; nobody eliminated until the end.

There hasn't been a two seat election in years, the last I can find is Donegal-Leitrim in 1973, 3 seater with the Ceann Comhairle and very few candidates.

Advertisement