Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't subscribe to the doom and gloom.

I care about the URC. I've been following them week in, week out all season. Why would you not care about it? Its the only competition left right now, so it makes no sense to not care.

They have the squad to compete and win the URC. Granted, they'll likely have a heavily rotated squad for this weekend so Connacht has a great chance to win.

Being beaten in 3 finals is disappointing but getting to 3 finals in a row shows great consistency at the very top of Europe. Its possible for other teams to be better than leinster.

This is beginning to sound like England football fans who think not winning a tournament is a total failure. It dismisses the fact that other teams can work hard and be better, and it ignores the idea of just enjoy the tournament and following your team. Like, just having the craic and enjoying the ride.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I really want the title, if only to shut up Munster fans crowing about winning it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The URC knockouts are going to bring the same physicality and intensity. This is where we want to be, and we should want to win it. The league is an excellent competition these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If we'd won on Saturday, we could be dismissive of the URC. We didn't, so we can't.

I obviously want to win it, but it won't make up for the serial underachieving in Europe even still IMO.

I'm not disputing the greatness of the achievement in getting to the final, and I absolutely know how fine the margins were in each and every of the past 3 finals, but I still can't bring myself to get up for this right now.

Maybe a tie with Munster in the knock outs will spur me out of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Let's see what kind of quality the URC knockouts are. If they are really high quality, high intensity games then winning it will be an achievement, and will lead to a better season overall than 2022 and 2023. Beating Munster and/or the Bulls away from home is likely to require high performance levels. And losing a knockout game to any team would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Munster did it all the hard way last year. No reason why we couldn't do the same with the team we have once the focus and play to our strengths and abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

That would be too sentimental, for me. Deegan needs all the minutes he can get. Ruddock should only be selected ahead of him if it's on merit in my view.

Presenting departing players to the crowd at half time is what I'd go for if they're not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Not winning can be seen as not a failure if it's a once off IMO. 3 in a row is definitely a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Still down about Saturday but the improved quality of the URC has really boosted my enjoyment of it and of how much I want to see Leinster win it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't know? Can they afford to just someone ahead of someone? It's likely that they're not comfortable with Sam yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

100% well spoken thank you, I am loving the URC now in its expanded format and am excited for the close of this season

I'm in your camp. Sorry to say, I can't see them picking themselves up and putting a string of wins together. I'm completely burnt out from this past weekend. Imagine how the squad feels.

Unfortunately we don't have the right to dismiss the URC. Winning it as European champions would be nice, winning it trophyless is an imperative. And similarly, we can't have it both ways and dismiss the URC but out of the other sides of our mouths criticise Leo and the team for not winning the URC in years and being trophyless.

I want Leinster to be the best team in Europe, but if we're not, we need to make sure that we're the second best team in Europe and keep pushing to be the best, picking up titles where we can. I was heartbroken on Saturday the defeat but we're only going to win the Champions Cup if we keep getting into finals and keep the hunger to win it all, no matter how many we lose.

If you're a fan, then you're a part of what drives the organisation. And roaring them on over the line, whether its this year or next year, is important. If the team have to find the motivation to put last weekend behind them and win a trophy, fans should too.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

most fans don’t have the luxury of a final (or a decent budget like the French teams & Leinster) and yet they support their team & sport with gusto , it’s their passion as it is ours, we should just enjoy the ride in the knowledge that we can move on and those emotionally invested 24/7/300 have a lot more to lose as they’re giving it everything. URC final phase will be just more fun hopefully we have had a great run

I honestly cannot fathom how we've lost 3 euros in a row. Competing on both fronts is tough and this last month of poor league results compound everything. I don't think the coaching team has what it takes. Some very serious concerns for me with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Round 18 Match Officials Announcement

Leinster v Connacht

RDS Arena, Dublin – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA

Referee: Chris Busby (IRFU, 42nd league game)

AR 1: Eoghan Cross (IRFU)  AR 2: Jonathan Erskine (IRFU)

TMO: Colin Stanley (IRFU)

We've lost the European finals by very fine margins. A loss is a loss, sure, but we haven't been obliterated. Getting to the final in itself is an achievement, don't forget that.

Let's say we can the coaching ticket tomorrow - who realistically replaces them?

I don't know. I'm saying the coaching team is falling short. I'm not calling for heads. The season thus far has been poor for us, my opinion. No doubt the injurirs/international stand downs/ late coaching arrivals etc, affected this. It's concerning to me, that Leinster look poor, sloppy and I would say some poor selections. We'll go again next season and hopefully do better. I don't see any reason not to 2nd guess this coaching ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Leinster and the IRFU would be crazy to fire Leo, especially from an IRFU point of view he is doing an excellent job at taking U20 talent and getting them into ful international status.

If you are looking overseas you are right, who would they get to replace them? it's not like top coachs are floating around and available to pick up easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭redmca2

Does anyone share my concern that the coaching teams at Leinster and Ireland are not as aligned as was the case with Lancaster?

Both could suffer as a result

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leinster at their best are the best team in the URC, but it remains to be seen if the team can get to that level.

If they can't then it is time for serious questions of the coaching staff to be honest.

I have reservations about Nienabar but at last he is only one season in. Cullen should be on the hot seat if Leinster can't close out the URC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jenkins picked up a knee injury last weekend and will miss the Connacht game. Ringrose, TOB and Ngatai are training and will be assessed later this week for inclusion in the squad.

Exactly. There's a mistaken mentality sometimes as regards coaches that they can be replaced fairly easily as they can be in football. It works in football because you have an inordinate amount of leagues and divisions with hundreds of candidates. The coaching eco-system is way smaller.

Unless you know you're getting a cast-iron improvement (which let's be fair, there are no realistic candidates), why would you replace a head coach who has dragged us into the upper echelons of European rugby.

He has done an incredible job to date, it's just unfortunate that we're so agonisingly close to what we're striving for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm concerned that about the standard of attacking play this season. I think the choice to go with Nienbar should've been contingent on ensuring we retained the attacking philosophy that saw us dominate under Lancaster. It's not acceptable to see the basic passing skill degrade because a new coach comes in. We suffered through MOC once, no excuses in going through that again.

Nienaber isn't even a season in - worth remembering he only arrived in November, to coach a team that was itself only getting its players back from the RWC around the same time, and also adjusting to life in the post-Sexton era.

But our big issue remains a lack of on-field leadership. There's Ryan and not much else - Doris seems to be the heir apparent as captain (and maybe Ireland captain) but I'm not seeing it yet tbh. Until we get that resolved, we're going to struggle with on-field composure and decision-making in the tight games.

And as much as I like James Ryan the player, his decision making has been hit-and-miss. Never mind, that a referee dismissed his co-captaincy once. So we definitely need more leaders. Conan seems to be great at it but struggles to get into the XV lately.

Never mind, that a referee dismissed his co-captaincy once. 

In fairness, that's not Ryan's fault - if a team can have two co-captains in the ref's ear, what's to stop the next team having three or four? Referee was dead right to say one captain and no more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ruaidhrí O'Connor actually pointed out, was that Carley also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Nienaber had no preseason, the squad had no preseason. Most of the coachs spent preseason at the WC with other teams. To be fair if we win a URC it won't be a bad start. I thought at start of season it would be a write off because of the coachs, plus you had Nienaber taking over a squad which had 7 years of Lancaster so he needs bedding in time. In Lancaster first season he got to a semi wasn't it?

The whole co-captain thing doesn't work, Ryan was right when he was talking to the ref and if he was just captain nothing would have been said, it was an easy out for the ref.

I can't see Conan making the starting team moving forward and I expect Doris to pick up the captains role, this year he was very inexperienced as a captain

Advertisement