Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting method

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was said teacher, by any chance, a councillor who relied on a lot of second preferences from someone vastly more popular to stay in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd actually forgotten about that story for over a decade i reckon, till i mentioned the chap's previous anecdote about elections - and IIRC you're on the right track, the teacher was the relative of a councillor or TD, but my memory is hazy on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

@Larbre34 from your experience of counts if someone simply places an "X" in one candidate's box and leaves all the rest of them blank will that be counted the same as a #1 preference for that candidate?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I guess my point is that for my 10th preference to be of import for example , my other 9 choices would have to have been either already elected or eliminated, I just don't see that happening very often in the majority of cases.

If you live in MNW, its quite possible this time out for you to have a 10th preference or 10 people you'd prefer to the other 16; and a reasonable chance that votes will get that far.

I could see it going to 20 counts, there won't be many papers that move 20 times but there'll be a fair few that move a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If there's 4 seats in the constituency say, four people are going to get elected anyway. If the last seat is a choice between Dickhead and Absolute dickhead, and my vote could have made a difference, why wouldn't I state a preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

@Larbre34 "If you don't especially want the person who would be your next choice to be elected, why would you give them a preference?"

I vote 1, 2, 3 for my preferred candidates, I might not care which of the next 5 gets my vote but there are 3 that I definitely DON'T want to get elected, so I'm going to vote all the way down the sheet.

@Larbre34 a follow up question as well on the minutae of transfers

Let’s say the quota is 1,000 and a candidate, Mr Red, gets 1,100 votes on the first count.

All of Mr Red’s #2 preferences are reviewed which are as follows:

• 353 – Mr Blue
    • 247 – Ms Orange
    • 200 – Ms Green
    • 150 – Ms Pink
    • 100 – Mr Purple
    • 100 – No #2 preference on ballot

So if we remove the 100 non-transferable votes then we have 1,000 that can potentially be transferred.

Of those the percentages work out as:

• 35.3% - Mr Blue
    • 24.7% - Ms Orange
    • 20% – Ms Green
    • 15% - Ms Pink
    • 10% - Mr Purple

We now need to transfer 100 ballots (1,100 - 1,000) using these percentages.

I have two questions:

1. How exactly do they select these ballots. Say, there are 100 ballots with "#1 Mr Red, #2 Mr Purple". We are going to transfer 10 of these. Do they throw the 100 ballots into a box and fish 10 of them out or what?
    2. In the cases of Mr Blue & Ms Orange the percentage does not divide cleanly into the number of total ballots, i.e. you should be transferring 35.3 ballots and 24.7 ballots respectively. Do they just round up/down or is there some sort of randomised draw to see which candidate gets the additional ballot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you look at some past election figures and add up the votes on the final count, that is the total of the quotas of the elected candidates and the total of the remaining candidates, you will find that that sum of less that that of the original valid poll. E.g out of an original valid pool of 50,000 in a 4 seat constituency, on the final count there are 3 seats fille with 10,001 votes each and there are 15,00o votes between the remaining candidates. That means 4,997 votes have been lost through the counts.
    That is caused by plumpers, people who stop voting leaving more than 1 space blank.
    Those people might have influenced who got the final seat had they used their full vote.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Again though for your 10th choice to be used , the previous 9 must already have been either elected or eliminated.

Unless your 1-9 are filled with a menagerie of loons and extremists the chances of that are very very unlikely.

The number of rounds of voting is irrelevant to how your vote gets used in each round - Each time they use your "next available option" and as I said, unless your voting preferences are "eclectic" to say the least the chances of your 9th or 10th preference actually being the one counted are beyond slim.

• Advertisement

There's 3 FF, 2 FG, 2 SF, 1 LAB, 1 GP, 1 SD running in MNW; that's 10 going between the mainstream parties alone.

When there are lots of candidates, low preferences can and do get counted, frequently.

Fair enough , but what are the chances that all of them are elected/eliminated before all the seats are filled?

Picking 5/6 out of the above 10 "mainstream" candidates is enough to ensure that your vote has the potential to be in play for the play round of voting.

I'd argue with an extremely high degree of confidence for example that you could give a 1-6 preference in a 5 seater to the parties of Government and at least one of them will still be in play on the final count meaning your vote matters all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes stopping at 12 means you're unable to differentiate between the remaining or don't want your vote going to any of them, which everyone is perfectly entitled to do.

Your example is bit silly because there is a clear differentiation between them in terms of what your preference would be.

A better one is that 13 and 14 both represent a party that you would never vote for. Randomly deciding between them is really just an exercise in ensuring that your vote will eventually be counted and go to 'someone'.

For me if I only have a preference for say 8 candidates I will vote 1-8 only. If none of them get elected (unlikely) and I prefer my vote to die rather than go to anyone else, that's still a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The example that is straight from real life, a scenario that will literally play out less than two weeks from now, that's "silly"?

And yes, as I previously stated in this discussion, if your preference for all remaining candidates is exactly equal, then there is no point continuing your ranking. But that's not the scenario you're posing. You're only considering the people you do want elected. You're ignoring the possibility that of the remaining candidates, some are worse than others.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

It's a real life scenario that has no comparison to what i'm saying, as that scenario has a clear difference between the two candidates that everyone would have a preference on, rather than two candidates from the same party that would have no clear difference between them.

Anyway we're essentially agreeing, vote in order of your preference as far as your preference goes up to where you have no preference. If you have no preference for any of the remainder then clearly you already don't think that one is worse than the other.

Agree, in order for your vote to still be around at the 10th preference you'd initially been voting for no hopers and as they got eliminated you then transferred to those already elected, it must be extremely rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes. Its a clear preference and then becomes non-transferable.

But concern about many people's lack of knowledge around how to mark ballots is valid.

In any count centre, you'll end up with hundreds of spoiled votes, not intentionally, but marked X,X,X,X or 1,1,1,1 etc.

If a person makes a mistake by marking say 1,2,3,3,4, then the 1 and 2 will be counted and it then becomes non-transferable.

It should be reassuring though, at the count, exhaustive efforts are made to ascertain the voting intention of every vote, and in the case of tight counts, the candidate representatives will all pore over the individual votes together with the returning officer and try and agree what was intended. If agreement isn't reached, the vote is set aside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was one thing which was good to hear from my colleague who had spent decades in count centres; the willingness he saw to respect the vote of what looked like sincere but possibly flawed attempts to vote. i'd been half expecting an 'if in doubt, chuck it out' approach; the conversation i remember probably happened a couple of years after the hanging chad fiasco in florida.

though i've heard anecdotally we've been going in that particular direction, with a SpeciFic party leading the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your third choice wasn't effective because your first choice was effective. My third choice was effective because my first choice wasn't.

Each of our votes contributed to the election of just one candidate, which is always the case — your vote can only ever be effective once. You helped elect your first choice candidate; I held elect my third choice candidate. Your vote has done more to acheive your objectives than my vote has done to acheive mine. How, exactly, did you "waste" anything?

The only concession I'll make is this: Suppose you're a committed supporter of the Blob Party, and your objective is to maximise the representation of the Blob Party. You don't care at all which Blob Party candidates are elected; as far as you are concerned they are all equally wonderful. But you're aware that other voters, less clear-sighted than you, don't necessarily take the same view.

In this situation, your optimal strategy is to vote for the Blob Party candidates in the reverse order of what you perceive to be their popularity — give your first preference to the BP candidate least likely to be elected, your second to the next least likely, and so on. When you have preferenced all the BP candidates, you can continue on to preference other candidates in the usual way (or not, if you wish). That way, you hope to postpone the elimination of the Blob Party's less popular candidates, maximising the chance of their being around to pick up preferences as the count proceeds (especially, to pick up surplus transfers when more popular Blob Party candidates are elected). The difference this makes is pretty marginal, but it could result in a Blob Party candidate being elected who would otherwise have been eliminated. But note that a very possible outcome of this strategy is that your vote won't contribute to the election of any candidate at all — you've given your first preference to an unpopular candidate who may stay in the race until the last seat is filled, and still not win that seat.

And this strategy, too, can be seen as waste. What have you wasted? You have wasted an opportunity to choose candidates based on their individual characteristics and, possibly, to influence the Blob Party by maximising the representation, within the party and within Dáil Éireann, of TDs whose positions or values are closest to your own. But, being the one-eyed Blobbist that you are, you won't see this as a waste; you'll have used your vote in the most effective way to maximise the representation of the Blob Party, which is your first objective.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

Similarly a ballot marked 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 becomes non-transferrable after the second preference, because there is no third preference.

The other not uncommon way to invalidate your ballot is to mark it in any way by which it can be identified. Suppose you vote 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and then a rude comment beside the name of another candidate that you particularly dislike. That's a spoiled vote, not because you have failed to indicate a preference — your preference is very clear — but because it can be indentified by anyone who knows what you wrote on it.

(The reason for this rule is to protect the secrecy of the ballot. It prevents me ordering you to vote for a particular candidate and also to write something distinctive on the ballot so that I can identify it at the count centre and satisfy myself that you have voted as instructed.)

• Advertisement

Sounds like a bit of a legend — apart from anything else there weren't that many illiterate voters in the 1980s; the "gaps in the comb" method can't help with ordering preferences; and it's fatally vulnerable to the simple error of holding the comb (which is symmetrical) the wrong way around, or against the wrong side of the ballot paper.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I guess I'm arguing over small possibilities and technicalities, but strictly speaking your assertion that "Each of our votes contributed to the election of just one candidate, which is always the case — your vote can only ever be effective once" is wrong imo.

Because in your case it elected your third choice, and then your third choice has an excess to distribute. This will only be taken from the most recent batch which got the candidate over the quota, i.e., potentially your ballot. This ballot paper may get another candidate over the line with an excess, rinse and repeat etc. So in this way your vote was effective in electing multiple candidates. Have i got this incorrect?

The topic of the comb being symmetrical did come up at the time - when I was a kid in the 80s, the combs in the house were not symmetrical, the teeth on one half were finer than the teeth on the other half.

Anyway, I don't think the story warrants deep investigation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Technically the excess votes are not required to elect the candidate so the votes in excess of the quota transfered on are not effective in electing the candidate. Only the ballots in the bundles remaining with the candidate are effective.

The theory behind surpluses is, if a candidate has a surplus, then the surplus votes are not needed to get him elected (that's literally what "surplus" means — votes that the candidate doesn't need). Only the votes which are needed to get him elected are used to elect him. If this were not the case, you would be "wasting" a vote by giving it to a candidate who's a shoe-in anyway; he will be elected whether you vote for him or not. The risk of wasted is avoided by ensuring that, if your vote isn't needed to elect him, it won't be used to elect him.

Depending on the precise system of STV in use, there are different ways of identifying the particular votes which get redistributed but, if your vote is redistributed, then it wasn't used to elect the candidate who has been elected, and becomes effective for a lower-preferenced candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cheers JO Farmer and peregrinus. Really good explanations and I will concede the general point. (Whilst stubbornly maintaining that your ballot has contributed to the election of multiple candidates, even if the individual vote ultimately wasn't needed because of a surplus).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The thread has certainly given me food for thought, especially about going deep into the preferences in the Dublin Euros election to try to keep a certain candidate out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've been watching this thread for a few days and I've come to the conclusion that there are some cynical people out there manipulating people. If your favourite candidate is one of the last two, then every vote counts. Similarly, if your **least** favourite candidate (even if you hate a few of them) is one of the last two, then every vote against them counts.

I think the "only give preferences to out party"-type policies might have previously been used in republican circles, both FF and SF, but for slightly different reasons. Back in the day, FF was all about 'one party government' and sharing anything with anyone or even acknowledging their existence was anathema to many paid-up members. With SF, part of them didn't want to be elected, although the last local elections and general election probably changed them.

This time around, I think the motivation of quite a few people is not to get elected, but to cause community disruption and to bring the elections into disrepute.

**Vote all the way down, as far as you can. Anyone telling you otherwise is trying to manipulate you and the election.**

• Advertisement

In the USA there's nothing in the constitution about the method of election. As such it's up to each state how they implement voting for federal elections.

I've been watching with a keen interest the spread of laws and ballot measures in the past decade to bring in ranked choice voting under various guises.

So far Maine and Alaska have already introduced it and Nevada has passed the first half of a ballot measure to bring it in (they need to ratify it a second time in November).

Oregon will also be voting in November on whether to introduce it. There is a petition gathering pace in Idaho to try and get it on the ballot for November.

Beyond state level elections it has been brought in for municipal elections in states across the country, most notably in New York city where the 2021 mayoral election was the first mayoral election to use RCV.

Advertisement