Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭suvigirl

That's not why we had it. We had it because of the GFA and subsequent EU cases. I linked it for you.

Approx 25% of babies born here now are to foreign mothers, according to another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Some of the stuff on this thread reads like satire.

This is a pretty good example but for my money the best of the lot is probably the routine about the NGO's luring people here with luxury tents.

I don't believe for a second that X is meaningful or matters one jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Think that last line there is the problem here ..people using their imaginations with very little proof except what is being repeated online .

This is not entirely their fault .

The lack of communication from government all along has left a vacuum for disinformation to thrive .

But people are not passive recipients of this disinformation and should be aware that there is always a risk that any democratic society like ours is a target for darker forces who seek to influence against our democracy and try to push a narrative away from reasonable discussion .

I see many reasonable posters here trying to grapple with what is going on and I acknowledge that it is a very difficult and worrying situation for everyone

I don't agree that people should be held to account for travelling without papers if they are genuinely claiming asylum and think that more needs to be done to prevent the need for this .

Maybe allowing centres abroad staffed by IPO officials where those seeking asylum can attend , with their papers of they have them or if not go through the process of application elsewhere but safe.

Thus cutting out the middle man / trafficker who is the real enemy in this .

This would require intercountry cooperation and support which to date does not appear to be forthcoming or being considered .

At a basic level and at least , fast tracking applications so that those who are not genuine are discovered and given deportation orders /refused asylum more quickly has worked so far since February, except for Nigerians who are coming mainly across the border from the UK .

Other applications from safe countries have fallen in the last few months which I agree is not before time .

More needs to be done to make the system work efficiently.

McEntee et al have sat on their hands long enough .

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/asylum-seekers-from-unsafe-countries-will-be-processed-through-fast-tracked-system/a1371417846.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I just don't buy the idea to be honest that ethnicity or religion is much of a predicator of crime.

Poverty, drug dependency, unemployment, lack of education, to me are the things we should be concerned about.

As I've said before I think there's too much migration in the world these days for various reasons, including young people feeling forced to leave Ireland, but I don't see hard borders and deterrents doing anything other than causing more problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Water2626262

The constant pandering in the media to one particular religion is odd. We’ve had enough trouble with religion in this country. We finally have more agnostic people then ever and it feels regressive to be encouraging more religion.

I believe people should practice whatever religion they want but it shouldn’t be in other peoples faces and shouldn’t receive any special treatment when it comes to education, medicine, law and modern practices.

If we had an influx of hardcore christians from the USA trying to promote their regressive beliefs they’d rightly be pilloried in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No idea. Doesn't MDH do an Xmas message or some such? In my mind all religious nonsense should be taken out of politics entirely. It has no place in 2024. Separate church and state completely. Get all specific religious references out of our constitution, no prayers in the Dail etc. Freedom to practice/preach whatever you want by all means but keep it outside politics. Time to grow up and I think our young people will do exactly that and ditch it. Religion causes far too much harm for it to be entertained in political arenas.

I think Twitter is utter nonsense too by the way. I am surprised people take so much credence in it whilst always giving out about it - "cesspit" is the common word used. The whole concept of Twitter turns me off it. It's making the world very "simple" and snappy. I don't think politicians should use it but there you go.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This old chestnut again !🤨

The last time this was dragged up it ended up with posters denying they said just what you said there .

It's a crock of sxxx and you know it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Exactly. Not sure why this particular religion is loved by many on the left. The same people who are sneering at my comments would probably find it odd if MDH tweeted something to Jehovahs Witnesses or Mormons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Waiting to get housed and then bring the wife and 7 children over. If you think the situation is bad now it's going to get a whole lot worse when the reunification starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

That was the actual case but the referendum was about a whole lot more than that.

When you read this Guardian piece on it the arguments against changing the constitution from Labour etc were almost word for word the same arguments that are put forward on this thread. 'Sure we emigrated to America' etc etc

Those arguments managed to convince a whopping 20% of the electorate to vote no whereas the vast, vast majority voted yes.

Still remains fact that the referendum was required because of the changes brought in by the GFA. That's why it was called.

W

Who cares what nationalities or religions he tweets to? Pretty sure it's only trying to be nice and inclusive.

And it's Twitter/X, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭DaithiMa

And the fact remains that 79% of the electorate were branded as racist by the Labour party for voting yes.

Irish catholics should also get this nice and inclusive treatment then

No need .

We saw them .

This trash about the President and his tweets and Ramadan etc is deflection and nonsense .and exactly the disinformation I have been posting about .

Here is what our President was doing at Easter .

Is this proof enough for you @Lotus Flower that you are totally incorrect on the last PAGE of posts ?

Even a link from X ..thought you couldn't find any . Did you look ?

https://x.com/PresidentIRL/status/1774435810718241221

https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-attends-easter-sunday-commemorations-2024/photos

No it's not proof because I've been saying all along that my point is not about Easter Rising. And I've been told on good authority by Suvigirl that it's not the president himself who tweets anyway and that it's his staff

How is any of this relevant ?

Nevermind you double down on your incorrect posts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You're being a little precious about this now to be fair.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement

Probably but am just responding to the aggressive posts of @Goldengirl

Probably because he was busily ATTENDING the Easter celebrations , laying wreaths etc and all this while recovering from a stroke !

Maybe he would have attended the other celebrations but chose to tweet instead ?

Maybe there are pigs flying past your window

Does anybody, except maybe you and John , really care ? But you just keep on ,

But as Suvigirl points out it's not him who tweets, it's his staff. So why would it matter if he was too busy? You don't care but yet you keep responding. Feel free to ignore or scroll past

And I was responding to @Lotus Flower 's hounding another poster about Michael D not tweeting her a Happy Easter 😁

So it's aggressive now to call a post for what it is and provide links to disprove it ?

That a bit hypocritical .

Why do I keep responding ?

Could it be that you are quoting me ? So you want to quote me , say whatever you like but I am not to respond ?!

I don't think that is how it works here .

You want me to scroll on by ?

Stop posting absolute scvtter then .Stop hounding posters over tripe .

And stop.quoting me ..happy to oblige then .

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

They don’t look like Easter celebrations to me, as in ‘Christ died, buried and risen’ according to the Catholic faith.

Rather they look like 1916 commemorations, which is different.

Not important really but the remarks back to OP were unnecessarily snide, or maybe baiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Once they started leasing out The Holy Ground, Croke Park for religious festivals, that was beginning of the end, i think

Who's "they" and what's "holy" about Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

If you had a holiday home would you hand it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Very aggressive indeed! Best just ignore poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For all the posturing and grandstanding by Simon Harris, Micheal Martin, talking heads in the media and others, this is a very simple situation to understand.

Ireland has/had - as with so many things - a lax, informal "be grand" attitude to immigration in general. We have a similar attitude to controls in general. We rely on voluntary compliance with the rules rather than active monitoring and enforcement in all areas of society and governance.

While that generates a relaxed casual attitude and environment, it also leaves the systems open to abuse and neglect.

This is why we have generations of people claiming welfare supports, engaging in low-level "shenanigans" to work around whatever controls there are, and the general admiration of the "cute hoor" I've referred to in previous posts.

None of this is new, none of it is a surprise, and it's endemic in Irish society and has been since probably the formation of the State.

The problem exists for those who DO play by the rules, who do believe in fairness and contribution, because they are the ones who suffer the consequences of this double standard. Their integrity and honesty is seen as weakness and even foolishness and they are the only ones who face real penalties or loss as a result.

Now add thousands upon thousands of migrants who arrive here purely for selfish personal reasons - economic opportunities, financial support, training and education, housing and medical services etc. Unlike those who arrive and enter in the correct, legitimate and legal ways, these people arrive under false pretenses, or via (numerous) other States before they land here.

As I've said before, by that very first act they demonstrate that they do not respect our laws or borders and are prepared to take whatever actions they can to achieve their aims. It's bad enough that we have our own native cohort of such people, but we are under no obligation (international, moral or otherwise) to accept even more chancers and law-breakers into an already creaking (if not already broken) process/system.

As the most recent poll shows, three quarters of the population recognise this and understand that Ireland has become a target and soft touch for these people. I can only hope that the same number aren't taken in by the somewhat frenzied and desperate reaction from Government in the last few weeks and months as they've tried to do a 180 turnaround on their previous positions, which is only a response to the threat of their members losing their seats or not getting a spot on the gravy train in the upcoming elections.

Even more hollow are the continuing attempts to deflect from the reality of the situation, the gas lighting and goal post shifting from those still advocating for the "cause". It's extremely transparent and pointless - very few are buying anymore thankfully.

Some of the points being raised here around cultural and societal impacts, demographic shifts and the future makeup of our country are very relevant and very real. The same types as above will continue to call this "racist" or "xenophobic" of course, but their bleating is meaningless in the face of the very real changes already underway. Changes that many of us will see the start of, but which our children will have to live with. Changes which we only need to look to our immediate neighbours to see the consequences and outcome of.

No thanks. That's not the Ireland I grew up in, am working to support and contribute to, and want to leave to my son and his children. I make no apology for that, will always advocate for Ireland's needs and interests to come first (only then should we be worrying about others - which still doesn't include bringing them home), and will still call out the issues and obvious sleep walking into further problems that we're doing.

As I've also said folks - do get out and make your feelings and voices heard in the next few weeks and months, and think hard about who you vote for before you make your decision.

We've already seen the shift because of the political fear in FF and FG (not so much the Greens who are determined instead to ram as much of their delusional one-note tax driven ideological agenda through while they can), so changes CAN still happen and be demanded by the electorate - IF we're smart enough to realise it and the consequences of NOT doing so that is!

Advertisement