Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Its probably more of a concern for farrell than cullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's not fully reflective of what happened. He didn't say I'm only talking to one of you, who is it. He specifically dismissed Ryan - who had called the coin toss etc; because Ryan was constantly in his ear.

Also, coincidentally that was Matthew Carley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The La Rochelle captain was a lot worse and because they didn't have two captains on the pitch he just worked with him

It was pointless and childish carry on from the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Maybe some teams do need 2 on-field captains. One to lead the team & one to speak to the Ref.

Ryan leads, Doris talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭50HX

Fair enough, just from the outside looking in ye have 4 10's that have gotten game time.

To me a 10 needs meaningful game time, that's not possible with what ye have & not including Tector.

I'd like to see him get some proper time he couldn't be better positioned considering Leinster dominate most teams.

I see your point on physicality but I don't think ye can wait another 2 years

I suppose I am in a panic mode. I probably am over reacting to the season as it's played out. But the nearly, if only etc is the most frustrating thing. We win last weekend and I'm dancing and would say the season is a success. If Leinster do win the league, I wouldn't turn my beak up at it but would not call the season a success. It's more the general dysfunctional attacking plays and seriously, how long does it take to bed in a defensive system?

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The La Rochelle captain definitely was not worse.

Ryan was constantly whinging in that game, even when told to stop. Ringrose did a much better job of it. The key to being in a refs ear is not to be endlessly in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

This was the case for Ireland. When Ryan was captain, he was really the ref communicator. POM was calling all the shots in terms of leading the team and deciding whether to go for points or the corner (when he was starting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Eoin Farrell to join Leinster at the end of his, racing contract. Won't have played for England in 3 years so can switch nation to Ireland and team up with his dad for a crack at the next world cup.

Leadership and problem position sorted

• Advertisement

Sorry to see Rhys retire. My favorite Leinster player ever.

Im not sure he was qualified to play for Ireland at birth, so beyond the other multitude of reasons why this is unlikely, that’s probably the biggest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ross has managed to get Leinster to the European final 2 years in a row, people massively under rate him.

Harry has probably had his most consistent run of games since he came into the squad

What is the rush for Predergast if he isn't ready? he is already getting minutes, getting experience, if Leinster was getting knocked out at group stages and couldn't get into the top 4 in the URC you could see the coaching team do a review of the squad but that's not happening.

We have gone unbeaten in Europe for two season in a row and lost in the final on both occasions. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭50HX

I don't think people massively underestimate RB....they know he is steady but limited.

HB has had a run of games & is a better ball playing 10 than Ross imo still not top level.

If ye are happy with that then so be it, as I said its a tricky one trying to manage minutes for all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Bit of a horror show for Larmour in defence for the Toulouse try:

Why do they go into the biggest game of the season with a dodgy defender in perhaps the most pivotal position in Nienaber's defensive system? They could have picked JOB on the right wing, or even played Keenan there. It just seems that that edge defender getting things right is so important. Henshaw got it right and got the intercept against Leicester. Leinster need someone with better instinct in defense on the edge.

I dunno how he can so simplistically assert he doesn't think Frawley being down or even more ludicrously, Lowe being off, were big factors.

Frawley wouldn't have even been out there making the preceding hit on Kinghorn if Lowe hadn't been off the field. If Lowe is still out there, Frawley's in the midfield and all the Leinster defenders have better spacing and are less compressed.

If Frawley is in that defensive line (which he would have been as the 10) then Larmour’s starting position from that ruck is probably 8-10 yards wider and closer to Lebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

https://x.com/CianTracey1/status/1795711604555940248

Massively disappointing. Getting into the definition of madness territory here with the 10 situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Disagree. My preference (and probably you're too) is Prendergast stays and gets lots of gametime. But the reality is they'll try to balance Harry Ciarán and Ross, with Sam getting occasional and inconsistent games.

So the only way Sam gets weekly games as starter or sub, is with Connacht.

Plus with Sam out of the picture, Frawley and Harry will get more consistent gametime to show their real level of performance.

Its a 2 or 3 year plan rather than a 1 or 2 year plan. But it means they can test all 3.

They were never likely to drop Harry or Ross. So this will give them cover to try them all properly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So stop trying to balance the two Byrnes and Frawley. The 10 position has been a bit of a mess (among many other things) this season and I think the only reason Frawley gets time there is because he covers it in a 6-2 bench. But if that's what we intend to do more often in the future then having both Harry and Prendergast behind is indeed counterproductive.

If this was a year ago I would say that I'm skeptical of the benefits of playing with Connacht over training with Leinster, but I'm slightly less sure now. Still, if he goes there he gets less Champions Cup experience than he did this year…

For what it's worth, I still don't think this will happen. But if it does it is because the Leinster coaches rate him less than I do (and Farrell does I would say).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yes I know what is going to happen, what is disappointing is it shouldn't. They refuse to give Frawley a proper go, Ross and Harry are not good enough for the top end of European rugby, they just aren't. And the one guy who might be is being shipped off to another team. It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Larmour was one of our stand out performers in this game. I don't see any posts having a go at Lowe for messing up multiple 22 attacks…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm disappointed Prendergast seems to be going because for me Frawley isn't the answer at 10 either.

We've three senior players ahead of Prendergast and I'm not convinced any of them are good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Given the IRFU are involved all logical bets are out the window now.

Contract status? Doesn't matter. Can't outbid another province? Outbid all you want

Connacht aren't exactly flush with cash but we signed Sam last season on (presumably) a 2 year deal. Even for a rising star from the academy he'd still have come cheap.

If Connacht ask nicely to the IRFU can they give a load more money I'm sure the IRFU would oblige. They've Farrell and TOH coming off the books so I could see them offering to significantly increase what Prendergast is on with Leinster.

Of course his head could be turned in that case.

Worrying stuff and a worrying precedent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If it's a loan, then surely money, contracts and outbidding don't come into it?

With Hanrahan's injury, Prendergast will be instantly the second choice OH at Connacht for the opening few months of the season.

Assuming one or both of Frawley and Ross Byrne travel to SA in the summer, they'll likely have a delayed start to the season so Harry Byrne will get more of a run of games too.

I think it's a great idea tbh. Six months from now we might have a much better idea of where we stand.

I'd say Connacht will just be paying Prendergast's current wages for a year, maybe IRFU top it up if its something they want to happen.

I can't see any credible argument that Prendergast's development is better served by sending him to Connacht for the year.

Leinster have a new attack coach coming in, so even in the scenario that this goes great for Prendergast and his physical development improves, he is still coming back and having to learn a new system from scratch.

He got plenty of minutes and appearances this year, realistically probably more than he's physically ready for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Probably reading too much into this, but if Prendergast leaves on loan, this will have a knock on effect to the 25/26 season when he returns.

He'll be a year removed from Leinsters coaching systems under Bleyendaal and will rightfully be third/fourth choice. That's probably the last season of his contract as well and he'll have tempting offers from elsewhere, especially if he's not getting regular game time.

If he's as good as we all think, he won't be coming back as third or fourth choice after a year of proper gametime. I'm not even convinced he will be as low down the pecking order by this Christmas if he stays at Leinster. He's a developing young player, being 3rd/4th choice now isn't much of a predictor for where he will be next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Leinster will go from too many 10s to having Harry and Tector when Frawlty and Ross are away. Who would stand in if one of them is injured?

Not complaining, just wondering?

• Advertisement

If he leaves he won't come back imo. If he's got the starting job in Connacht and he will, why return to be a bench option. What difference would it be to leave for a season and return to be a bench player? I think if this happens, it sets a bad precedent. Who's next to go? If he's unable to start over Carty, he's not ready. There's always the scenario that Connachts coaching is so bad that he regressed. I suppose Connacht will be happy to have another Leinster lad in the set up.

Advertisement