Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

How is any of this relevant ?

Nevermind you double down on your incorrect posts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You're being a little precious about this now to be fair.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Probably but am just responding to the aggressive posts of @Goldengirl

Probably because he was busily ATTENDING the Easter celebrations , laying wreaths etc and all this while recovering from a stroke !

Maybe he would have attended the other celebrations but chose to tweet instead ?

Maybe there are pigs flying past your window

Does anybody, except maybe you and John , really care ? But you just keep on ,

• Advertisement

But as Suvigirl points out it's not him who tweets, it's his staff. So why would it matter if he was too busy? You don't care but yet you keep responding. Feel free to ignore or scroll past

And I was responding to @Lotus Flower 's hounding another poster about Michael D not tweeting her a Happy Easter 😁

So it's aggressive now to call a post for what it is and provide links to disprove it ?

That a bit hypocritical .

Why do I keep responding ?

Could it be that you are quoting me ? So you want to quote me , say whatever you like but I am not to respond ?!

I don't think that is how it works here .

You want me to scroll on by ?

Stop posting absolute scvtter then .Stop hounding posters over tripe .

And stop.quoting me ..happy to oblige then .

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

They don’t look like Easter celebrations to me, as in ‘Christ died, buried and risen’ according to the Catholic faith.

Rather they look like 1916 commemorations, which is different.

Not important really but the remarks back to OP were unnecessarily snide, or maybe baiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Once they started leasing out The Holy Ground, Croke Park for religious festivals, that was beginning of the end, i think

Who's "they" and what's "holy" about Croke Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

If you had a holiday home would you hand it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Very aggressive indeed! Best just ignore poster

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For all the posturing and grandstanding by Simon Harris, Micheal Martin, talking heads in the media and others, this is a very simple situation to understand.

Ireland has/had - as with so many things - a lax, informal "be grand" attitude to immigration in general. We have a similar attitude to controls in general. We rely on voluntary compliance with the rules rather than active monitoring and enforcement in all areas of society and governance.

While that generates a relaxed casual attitude and environment, it also leaves the systems open to abuse and neglect.

This is why we have generations of people claiming welfare supports, engaging in low-level "shenanigans" to work around whatever controls there are, and the general admiration of the "cute hoor" I've referred to in previous posts.

None of this is new, none of it is a surprise, and it's endemic in Irish society and has been since probably the formation of the State.

The problem exists for those who DO play by the rules, who do believe in fairness and contribution, because they are the ones who suffer the consequences of this double standard. Their integrity and honesty is seen as weakness and even foolishness and they are the only ones who face real penalties or loss as a result.

Now add thousands upon thousands of migrants who arrive here purely for selfish personal reasons - economic opportunities, financial support, training and education, housing and medical services etc. Unlike those who arrive and enter in the correct, legitimate and legal ways, these people arrive under false pretenses, or via (numerous) other States before they land here.

As I've said before, by that very first act they demonstrate that they do not respect our laws or borders and are prepared to take whatever actions they can to achieve their aims. It's bad enough that we have our own native cohort of such people, but we are under no obligation (international, moral or otherwise) to accept even more chancers and law-breakers into an already creaking (if not already broken) process/system.

As the most recent poll shows, three quarters of the population recognise this and understand that Ireland has become a target and soft touch for these people. I can only hope that the same number aren't taken in by the somewhat frenzied and desperate reaction from Government in the last few weeks and months as they've tried to do a 180 turnaround on their previous positions, which is only a response to the threat of their members losing their seats or not getting a spot on the gravy train in the upcoming elections.

Even more hollow are the continuing attempts to deflect from the reality of the situation, the gas lighting and goal post shifting from those still advocating for the "cause". It's extremely transparent and pointless - very few are buying anymore thankfully.

Some of the points being raised here around cultural and societal impacts, demographic shifts and the future makeup of our country are very relevant and very real. The same types as above will continue to call this "racist" or "xenophobic" of course, but their bleating is meaningless in the face of the very real changes already underway. Changes that many of us will see the start of, but which our children will have to live with. Changes which we only need to look to our immediate neighbours to see the consequences and outcome of.

No thanks. That's not the Ireland I grew up in, am working to support and contribute to, and want to leave to my son and his children. I make no apology for that, will always advocate for Ireland's needs and interests to come first (only then should we be worrying about others - which still doesn't include bringing them home), and will still call out the issues and obvious sleep walking into further problems that we're doing.

As I've also said folks - do get out and make your feelings and voices heard in the next few weeks and months, and think hard about who you vote for before you make your decision.

We've already seen the shift because of the political fear in FF and FG (not so much the Greens who are determined instead to ram as much of their delusional one-note tax driven ideological agenda through while they can), so changes CAN still happen and be demanded by the electorate - IF we're smart enough to realise it and the consequences of NOT doing so that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭engineerws

Fair play for remaining civil.

It drives me around the bend to see people lie repeatedly and profusely on boards. What they think they are achieving through lying is beyond me. It' doesn't make sense, it's almost as if they are intentionally trying to provoke normal people with mild views into developing extreme viewpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

75% unemployment rate for Somalians in the UK. But I'm sure this guy will be a real benefit to Ireland. We should be happy to fund his legal costs and everything else for him and his wife and 7 kids for the rest of his life. Think if how much we will gain from it! More like him I say, clearly it's racist to suggest that this can lead to anything negative

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You make a lot of interesting points here but on the cultural and societal impacts, demographic shifts and so on, there's a counter argument that they may not entirely be a bad thing. Many older people have said that the monoculture of the 1950s and 1960s made Ireland a not very nice country to live in : numerous emigrants have said over the years that they found that version of Ireland too backward, parochial and inward looking, even oppressive and were glad to leave.

Arguably, it was the opening up of Ireland to outside influences and different cultures that began to shake that dark period off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I hate our be grand paddywhackery nonsense. Too many unserious people in serious positions in this country.

Time to grow the **** up as a country.

Even not committing to NATO defense spending is childish. Neutrality doesn't wash anymore.

You might not mean it like this but it's very hard not to look at your post and see the implication that Ireland was an awful place when it was just Irish people. Do Irish people not get any credit for shaking that dark period off?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We've seen similar discussions in Britain that the place was supposedly much better in the 1950s, when it was nearly exclusively white and English : but many people who actually lived through the period say "Em no, it wasn't….it was a grim and depressing place".

The opening up of Ireland to other cultures and outside influences surely had to be a factor in many of the profound changes we saw i.e. TV and cinema, returning emigrants, immigration and so on. The point being that there are two sides to the whole 'cultural and societal change' debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

See corelation versus causation.

Immigration didn't drag this country out of the doldrums. Its people did.

• Advertisement

I disagree.

If people want to hound other posters about silly stuff they should not complain when they are called out on it .

Tripe is best boiled .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

A couple of African asylum seekers on the nightly PR Rte spin segment. Both arrived in March. Interviewer did the nodding sad face look.

It was all about the cost of accommodation and not camping beside other tents to draw attention themselves. Also,saying the €113 a week payment isn't enough for them to find cheap b@bs.

Not once were they asked why they came here and why not in March, were the living in the UK etc etc.

Appears Paddy Public must be educated into feeling sorry for all protection applicants and not ask any questions and always take them at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched that clip and the other thing I took from it was that he's in his mid-50s already (fair play though - doesn't look it) which means at most he has maybe a decade of possibly being a productive taxpayer (after extensive training as he's a fisherman with poor English). After that he'll be our problem regardless presumably in terms of pension entitlements etc.

Could be wrong as it's unclear but he may be here already 2 years and talked about what sounded like "lawyer" when asked about his family joining him, so maybe has already been "coached" in that regard? It's not clear though so could mean something else.

To be fair, he seemed like a normal decent guy, but again what actual right has he to be here, never mind planning to move his large (by Irish standards) and dependent family over next ?

Because I would not dream of posting to somebody at that hour but you and the other lad thought that was ok.

We all have family and work situations... you don't know mine , but I don't need people replying to me past 1am in the morning if you don't mind , even if I am online reading .

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

What is it you disagree on re my post you quoted, out of interest? Are religious celebrations of Easter the same as commemorations of 1916?

‘Silly stuff’ is subjective really, but there’s no evidence of hounding, only of refuting and clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe 90

The current UK government is probably more to the left than Harold Wilson's labour government was. TINO, Tory in name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

I guess neighbouring Kenya wasn't safe enough. We're getting royally fecked over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

After today, it is very obvious we are not neutral, the very people who are waving Palestinian flags and telling us to take in more asylum seekers and take them all at face value. Will we be bleating on how we can't join Nato or a European defence group because we are neutral.

Our government have made far too much noise about what is happening in the middle east. Yes, condemn the atrocities, but don't put all your eggs in one sides basket.

• Advertisement

Your post was discussing the personal comment to me and making a judgement on my reaction .

This thread has a litany of personal remarks today starting with the poster I was replying to who started baiting at 9am .

So funny you talk about baiting isn't it ?

Silly stuff, to me , is repeatedly, going on about an elected president in a secular democracy tweeting about religion and the repeated quizzing when a poster had said they didn't know .

You are entitled to your opinion but don't let's continue someone else's argument further .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Advertisement