Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be donating organs?

Options
  • 28-05-2024 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

This is a timely discussion, considering longest surviving heart transplant patient in Ireland is thriving at 38 years post transplant..

I’ve done my share of promoting organ transplantation in the past and was privileged to know the late Brendan McLaughlin who survived 26 years post transplant and who appreciated every moment of his survival. Be broke records of the most risky transplant of all, lungs.

I would love to donate organs myself, but due to major health issues I cannot.however I can still donate by way of submitting my brain, majorly affected by MS , for research.

There’s always bits of us that may be surprisingly useful from cornea to heart cakes and lots else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Not today

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've told my family they're to offer whatever is of the remotest use to anyone. They won't be any good to me by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭CPTM

Am I not right in thinking there is an opt out system now? So we don't have to tell anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It was proposed, but that dastardly WEF plot was spied by the ever vigilant researchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭CPTM

Oh right. I'd better let a few people know then. Thing is I don't carry a wallet. I should put some contact details in my phone lock screen and include that I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My hope is I'll pop my clogs when I'm a 100, whilst in marvellous mental and physical health so my organs won't be any good, but in the unlikely event of this not transpiring I'm an organ donor.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭This is it

I certainly will. My mother has benefited twice from organ donation, I'd love the opportunity to give back and donate, if possible, when I kick the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Barring a change in criteria I can't be an organ donor due to being on injectables but, I have a bit of experience with the process. Its never an easy choice to make, not out of selfishness, rather out of hope that if you just wait a little longer? Your loved one will get better, that they will be the 1 in a million miracle.

My 1st wife's organs were donated in 2007 and 1 of my younger brothers passed away after a short illness last year and his organs were also donated.

The difference in experience between both donations was marked and massively improved. The 1st time round was very ad-hoc, no real support from anybody. We did receive a letter from Beaumont shortly afterwards confirming how many people had been helped along with some cards that were anonymous.

The one from the woman who received my wife's liver stands out. She was young at 39, but also a grandmother and she thanked us for giving her the chance to see her grandchildren grow up, and to be a nana. My MiL got involved with the donor organisation and attended the mass of remembrance and other events over the years until her own death.

Fast forward to last year, when our brother was in ICU with no prospect of recovery, we approached the ICU team regarding donations. We had an ODTI coordinator meet us, do a family medical history, asked all the awkward questions in the best possible way. She also arranged to take handprints and locks of hair from our brother. On top of that they also offered counselling to the family. All little things that would have been greatly appreciated in my 1st donation experience.

The time spent in and around ICU in Cork last year and in particular the weekend of Col's death and donation, 2 other families also made the decision to donate. At times of immense personal tragedy so many families seeking to do the right thing, and to at least take one bright thing from the loss of a loved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

No. If I can be a living donor to family or very close friends I’d do that. Other than that I’ll be taking it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Due to health stuff, I wouldn't be eligible. But they're free to use me for research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

You should make it known that you won't accept any if you need them.

My GP knows I don’t want organs and do want a DNR if anything happens to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Absolutely. My father's liver and kidneys were donated when he died. We knew he had been in favour, he had only recently remarked that it was morally indefensible not to do it if you could. The aneurysm that led to his death came completely out of the blue. Being able to help someone else made it slightly better, as at least some good had come out of a horrible situation. I was actually surprised how much it helped the grieving process. I always thought that intellectually I would support it in the event but I was taken aback about how emotional I was about it. I still remember my mom and I being delighted when told he was eligible to donate. It was like a bright spark when we were in such a dark place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

You can download a donor card app from Google play or the Apple store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I donate an organ most weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

After the government fast-tracked economic migrant housing over our own homeless, I no longer trust that my organ will be on a fair list of who benefits.

So I will not be donating. I removed the code from my driving licence and will be opting out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Take everything from me, I won't need them and I won't know about it. I won't lie, I had hoped to die in an awesomely spectacular fashion that means the lights will go out with no prior indication it is coming, so hopefully enough of me survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't want to donate my organs in case of the worst. At the very least, you never know what calamity might befall you or a loved one that requires a transplant.

We all bleed the same underneath.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's without doubt the most pathetic excuse for not donating I've ever seen.

If it's actually true, which I somehow doubt. More like some vague attempt at political point-scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Yes, though my lungs, kidneys and liver may not be much use at this stage!

You can put my organs into a rescue mongrel from the pound if you like. If it can do any good - go for it. If it doesn’t do any good - so what. No harm. It’s not as if I’ll be needing them.

It’s very selfish and small minded not to donate organs after you’re gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I will happily donate anything that's usable whenever I pass except for my eyes. I've a weird thing about that so that's a no-go for me but everything else is fair game. I mean I'm not going to be using them so why not if they could help someone. And I don't care who that someone is, as long as they medically have been assessed as needing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had the same reservations in 2007 (when corneas were/could be harvested) when I donated my wife's organs. That fear of seeing her in someone else's eyes, as irrational as it is, looked large.

Currently, ODTI don't harvest corneas or eye tissue. This was shared by a Transplant coordinator last summer when we were donating our brothers organs. I'd hazard because the biggest barrier to donation was families refusing for similar fears re: their loved ones eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It should also be a timely reminder that organ donation is voluntary, and if someone decides to opt out, for whatever reason, that is their right, they don't have to justify it, and their choice should be respected.

People who don't want to donate typically don't get involved in discussions about donation as they get subjected to abuse, called selfish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Naaaah selling them to make next weeks groceries

Feel free to opt out. But if you ever need a transplant then you go to the bottom of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Oh that's interesting - thanks! I know my family were fully aware that in the event of anything happening me, everything else was up for grabs except the eyes. And it's on my drivers licence, I still have my original organ donor card & I have it saved on my phone.

I'm sorry for your loss, btw. My dad had wanted to be a donor but as he had cancer, it wasn't an option.

• Advertisement

Advertisement