Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More shiite

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its a poorly designed measure alright - the issues with food prices are clearly with profiteering by large multiples, plus the increasing costs of transport and wages in retail. These should be the target of such measures, not farmers already shrinking margins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Someone needs to bring it to their attention that the hedgerows are on private property and in private ownership. They aren't a feature that's been there since time immemorial like mountains or rivers, they were either planted by our ancestors or ourselves as fencing of animals, that wildlife and birds have availed of them is a bonus not a compulsory requirement on farmers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

<mod snip>

I'm deleting the content of this post although I believe it's the result of letting off steam (this is that kind of thread), and there is no serious intent to start a revolution.

However, investigation shows the first reporter to have a penchance for generating RPs. Reading them, I'm forming the opinion that back-seat moderation is a reasonable conclusion in that case.

Genuine concerns should always reported by RP, but wasting moderators time is also actionable.

I will also have to delete or edit comments that quote this post.

Post edited by greysides on

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

oh look keep quiet and take more ****.that’s what has us as a country in the crap we are in. Take beating after beating from a dangerous government.
    whilst I done condone violence with the way the public are feeling in the next decade or so things are going to take a dramatic turn for the worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

<modsnip>

Isn't that the problem with farmers protests. We all talk and support them but there ain't a half day to spare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

It's grand standing from Paul Murphy. Even if it is voted thru in Dail. Supermarkets will not pay any heed. Nor will they pay any more for produce if they can avoid it.

The hedgerow thing isn't that relevant anymore really. I don't think there's lads going around with diggers pulling put ditches like there was years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

someone needs to explain this to me. One of the richest countries in the world, yes cost of living gone up but has everywhere, health system needs improvement, and housing a mess inherited from 15 years ago & also an issue across the world. But for once we re in a position to have the money to try fix the issues, rather than emigrate 1000s that’s happened in the past. Has the country ever been in a better place let’s be honest?

Haven't heard from you since you were backing the two referendums.

And you're wrong again my friend. This country is being ruined by this current government. You are talking about fixing problems, when all we can see is the waste and squandering that is happening.

Do I have to list out what is going wrong again to you?

I want a future for my six children, to live and thrive in Ireland. We as farmers are being sold out, as well as any Irish tax payer

Today it's

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/state-facing-137m-overspend-on-modular-homes-for-ukrainian-refugees-as-total-cost-expected-to-rise-to-237m/a830698333.html#:~:text=Politics-,State%20facing%20%E2%82%AC137m%20overspend%20on%20modular%20homes%20for%20Ukrainian,to%20rise%20to%20%E2%82%AC237m&text=In%20November%202022%2C%20the%20projected,%E2%82%AC140m%20for%20500%20homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭lmk123

we have the highest number of homeless ever and the health system is a complete shambles. We have doctors emigrating because they can’t afford a house. Two examples of recent cuts would be to primary schools and TII pulling the plug on several road jobs because of funding. I could go on a rant for the day about it but what’s the point. Anyone who thinks the country is awash with money is deluded.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Thread opened.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That article about about the overspend on modular housing is estimating a cost of 362000 per unit, from an original estimate of 149000 per unit, we haven't a hope of depending on the state to build anything near the amount of housing needed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It’s a valid point - any builder or tradesman will charge extra on a Govt job coz they know there’s no one keeping an eye on costs

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I would not let this government to do this house weekly shop,

They would make jack swapping the cow for a couple of magic beans look smart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

it’s not really a builder problem but a dealing with whatever power tripping clerk of works is over the job. I’ve seen projects near completion and suddenly a clerk of works decides there may be a need for this that or the other and everything has to be redone. I’ve seen architects argue blindly on things being done a certain way and then when done it’s obvious they couldn’t work and all has to be redone.
    When it’s not their money it’s not their problem seems to be the latest.

Lately too with a lot of the social projects there is a massive emphasis on sustainability. Softwood windows natural insulations and heat pumps are the order of the day. No thought put into longevity, maintenance and financial sustainability but then again it’s someone else’s money and all someone else’s problem down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

This is only the 16th post in the thread ………… but I still have no idea what it is on about. Anyone got a good summary? ChatGPT maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

It's acting as a substitute equivalent of a 'Japanese Rage Room' where you can vent.

I started it,so we can post the waste and squandering that is going on in Ireland, while they try and run farmers off their land with stupid regulations and run the young people out of rural Ireland. Wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

You'd have to ask yourself why the council didn't follow the rules.

I'd have no sympathy for a Council. They aren't too slow to enforce rules against certain people when it suits them and yet many of them breach their own rules. Often due to staff complete incompetence at the jobs they specifically get paid to do

• Advertisement

It's the tax payer that I'm worried about. It drives me mad, when every public scheme and building project seems to be over budget or delayed or some construction problem, bat trouble or snail trouble.

Your issue isn't with the objector in that case, it's with the eejits drawing good wages but not doing their jobs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Zero responsibility taken by anyone. And why would they? When they look up the chain of command, do they see someone above them (getting paid more than them) take any responsibility?

I was a court reporter for a newspaper in a previous life. There was one particular judge who'd throw out any case taken by the Guards if there was even the slightest mistake in the paperwork or if the arresting Guard wasn't in court, a Guard looked for another deferment, etc. He was harder on the Guards than the lads who were up in front of him. The way he saw it, the Guards were responsible: they were getting paid to have their shiite together. And he held them to account for it.

I don't know how you might build that into other public services but this way always stuck with me.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I know of a fella who had to have an archaeologist on site when putting up the pillars for a new shed because there was a potentially small historical site about 250 metres away. The "historical site" was on a bit of land actually owned by the Council and they put the condition on the planning. It was something that had come up on one of these geophysical surveys they do when they are doing roadworks etc. The area in question was only a few metres by a few metres. Probably nothing there but it had been marked on a map as an anomaly

A year or two later the Council were doing some work themselves and the contractors literally dug a trench through where the potential "historical site" was marked………… I think it was for a drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Do as I say and not as I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I’d be very wary of supporting anything that Peter Sweetman and his ilk does. He has stopped everything from wind farms, roads, greenways, houses, ports to a milking parlour and 3 slatted sheds all within 5 minutes of where I live. All of the people involved in these weren’t simply negligent or not doing their job. I did my own planning application last year for a slatted shed and looked at dozens of other applications first, his objections came up numerous times, it’s the same objection for everything, the EU habitats directive. The only thing that changes in his objections is the address for the proposed development. Fact of the matter is, his objection might not be in the least bit applicable but the fact that it goes to ABP is enough to cost & delay jobs so much that people simply no longer bother. His and his kind are no good for anybody, thank god he’s in his 80’s is all I’ll say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Its the crowd in the background is the issue. He requests that all information be emailed to him. Best job for councils is to send everything via post and smother him with physical paperwork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

objected to young fellas parlor down the road here disgraceful, small farm converting will never be large scale

• Advertisement

Well I wasn't supporting him. I was simply making the point that I wouldn't have any sympathy for any Council who was found to be flouting their own rules through incompetence. From the article it appears they messed up, but bulled ahead anyway.

For anyone concerned at the taxpayer expense, I'd have to question what kind of intelligence do we have with the authority to sign 30m contracts with public money but apparently still make fairly basic mistakes.

I've submitted planning permission for sheds here from scratch. Did the drawings etc. myself. Made sure every i was dotted and every t was crossed. Same thing with each and every grant or scheme application that has gone in. As I am sure most reading this will have done at some point. If we can do it without making mistakes, how can people whose actual job it is to do these things make basic errors that could cost the public millions. In the real world they'd be out the door on their arse

When he objects it’s mostly the same, an EIAR should be done for this proposal (regardless of whether it should actually be done or not), it takes over 12 months to do an EIAR as it has to be done over the 4 seasons. You can either prove that it doesn’t need to be done or else get it done, either way, posting every bit of paperwork in the country to him won’t make a difference as it’s not him who makes the decision. When it goes to ABP people give up because it costs too much time & money to go through it. Council employees are not the losers here, the losers are the people trying to build whatever the project is, the workers that should be doing it and in some cases the people that’d be employed when the project is done. It’s not a win for anyone (only for him the the fu***rs that are with him) when they succeed in stopping something, the council employees still get paid the very same as they would if he never objected. I also crossed the t’s and dotted the i’s in my application but the fact of the matter is I’m lucky he didn’t object. Just look at the flood relief schemes, who else only these c***s is trying to stop those jobs. They should be ostracised for what they do and not praised for putting the council in their place.

I don't know. I've already clarified that I wouldn't be supporting him.

According to that article, the issue in that case appears to be that the Council arsed around and then extended the time in a manner they did not have the authority to do. They gave him an open goal. Once he decided to take the shot, there was nothing they could do. The likes of these people are infamous. So the Council staff tasked with handing out 30m projects should be on the ball and not giving that easy goal.

It's the same incompetence that is going on day-in day-out in these places. The difference is that this one made the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The things you quoted are the definition of financial sustainability. The house would be a fraction to run than yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

PBP have made a bill that supermarkets should have a cap on price increases of certain foods and not being allowed to make excessive profits on them.

The reason that Mr Not so sweet want is emailed as its easier delegate tasks on top of each and line up to ABP with his team, cheaply. If it's physically posted to the back of beyonds in cork, this makes it harder to keep on top and delegate task to his team of pirates across the country. Physically scanning his correspondence would keep a person in a job for 2-3 days a week. Physically forwarding it would eat their finances and the post man would be out for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

the devils in the detail if you bothered to read it. Softwood timber windows: require annual maintenance, into council houses so highly unlikely to happen so will more than likely need replacement in 10-15 years, external insulation made up of fibre: see where that will be when a hair line crack seeps in damp over a couple of years. Now throw in the lovely heat pumps and a few 12-1500 euro esb bills and we will see where financially sustainable is.these are only the tip of the ice berg.

I’m in an a rated house too so you’ve absolutely no idea what the running costs of my place is. I work on these projects regularly and while it might all look good on paper it’s an absolute joke of a system.

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is

you said you’d have no pity for the council and the people drawing good wages and not doing their jobs. (I’m not trying to stand up for them because I’ve had war with them in the past). As far as I can see you’re saying it’s good enough for them because they f**k enough people over themselves.
    My point is that it doesn’t always come down to people not doing their jobs. I’ve given plenty of examples both public and private jobs which have been stopped by him. It simply doesn’t come down to people not doing their job, I’ve already explained why it doesn’t. There isn’t a reason for anyone to have pity for the council as they’re not the losers in this, as I said the losers are the workers and end users / public etc. I’ll re-phrase what I said because you seem to be hung up on the word “support”, no body should be happy when he and his ilk manage to stop a job as the council are not the losers in the scenario. Sweetman or anyone else for that matter won’t wipe out the incompetence in the public sector. To think that stopping much needed public jobs to teach the council a lesson is a good thing is idiotic in my view. Over and out.

Another attack in Dublin. Another passport flusher

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0525/1451211-dublin-courts/

MOD: I think it best to stick to agriculture related grumps here and leave current affairs to the appropriate forum. Sorry OP.

G.

Yes, I have no pity for them. That doesn't mean I support/applaud/whatever your man for doing what he did. It is their fault, not his.

In this case it did come down to people not doing their jobs. Going by the article, they had permission for 5 years. Didn't get it done. Then incorrectly/illegally gave themselves an extension. It is quite likely that if they could have gotten that extension perfectly legitimately by doing whatever they needed to do correctly.

It was a JR. A JR looks at the process that was followed for a decision rather than the merits of the decision (Unless it is an absolute mental wrong decision). Let me give an example. Suppose there was some hypothetical regulation that said that Councils must consider the presence on "boardsdotie" bats before giving any permission. That could be satisfied by a one line in a report saying "yes, there are boardsdotie bats present but we give permission anyway".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

Was reading up on this earlier. 30m project. Dept of Agri and Marine job at Rossaveal. Planning permission granted by council in 2018 with a planning expiry date of July 2023. Dept Agri and marine Contract signed with contractor Dec 2022. Consultants for Dept of Agri and Marine looked for planning extension May 2023. Extension granted July 2023. What was going on 2019 to Dec 2022. A mess by Dept. Agri and Marine. And then the council were wrong to extend planning the way it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Covid 19.

I wonder did someone die in charge of the paperwork? Or malaise set in in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

AFAIK there's a company bringing in the peat labelling it as irish peat and exporting it. If you knew the half of what was going on you'd lose the plot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

THe children's hospital is running behind schedule again. Wtf. Has to be the most expensive project ever started here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I thought today's announcement about more delays and another price increase for the children's hospital was ironic, after yesterday's announcement that 3300 new hospital beds would be in place by 2031, on top of the 1000 beds already in the pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Some people are getting very wealthy from this building, and thats all it is at the end of the day, a building. This is going to drag on for years, even when it eventually opens there will be more issues and money grabs.

The amount of money this government is squandering now is insane, and nothing to show for it.

Will full waste leads to wonderful want.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shannonsurfer101

Back I the 1920’s when the Shannon Hydro scheme was completed, it cost the State 1/5 of its annual budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

• Advertisement
Advertisement