Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You don’t have to be here replying when people choose to post on a 24/7 365 anonymous Internet forum. Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For sure, but it certainly didn't hinder it either (and isn't foreign direct investment a subtle form of 'immigration'?).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ok fair enough .

I usually don't reply though at that hour but did to whatever who had just posted to me . The latter post arrived directly after so I was in it at that stage trying to get out ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread is getting more and more off topic. There are dedicated threads to discuss the Israel/Hamas, and Russia/Ukraine, wars in detail.

Can we get back to discussing refugee policy in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

RTE just called - They want to know if you're available for the panel with Brendan O'Connor on Sunday :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Well I didn’t see anything personal or any such vendetta over the course of today. I wonder are you inferring something personal without sound reason..

And m not sure what ‘don’t let’s fall continue someone else’s argument further’ means?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's funny actually because friends of mine have said several times over the years that I should have been a journalist or politician. 😊

Maybe they had a point.

Why would you assume that , unless you are getting personal ?

Fall is a typo.

Thought you were a politician or up for election ?

The only problem is that you'd be up against Roderic O'Gorman (out for his 1st live public debate in 3 years) and Holly Cairns (if her handlers can remember which dungeon they bricked her up in) - They'd eat you alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭star61

There are a very small number of posters here who are very unhappy with Ireland and The Irish people in general. They do not like people’s opinion and they seek links and back ups for any comments. They contradict and provide no answers when they are asked outright. I would wonder where they live. Why they constantly knock everyone’s opinion with such an aggressive tone. This thread if you don’t agree with is one they should avoid surely. Everyone understands what’s happening. We cannot and will not be able to house/ look after every one who needs it regardless of our personal beliefs. No amount of opinions will change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

No way !!

Kaiser's narrative will not suit Brendan o connor's script. O connor would shut Kaiser down before he even gets to introducing himself.

brendan O connor is on the RTE payroll .. same as you-can't say-that-Duffy .. claire byrne et al. Theyre getting paid obscene amounts to carry the government narrative .. Ie. The Plantations are running according to plan. We've nowhere to put the incoming tsunami of migrants but shure we're grand. Not a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭whatever.

Thank you, the satire is refreshing

However it stands that the simple possession of a knife is not an offence in and of itself, that is why you find knives distributed throughout society

This same concept is common to other articles such as firearms, controlled substances, explosives and other more disturbing articles

Legislation with regard to the categories mentioned above to include weapons will start with an in totum section and then immediately reference sub sections

Garda use this particular legislation to intimidate and harass, they will charge if they find upon you or within your convayence or control such items as scissors, screwdriver or any sort of item that could possibly puncture or mark.

The DPP can see the frivolous nature of thesw cases and doesn't pursue them but in the meantime the Garda get to harass the person and possibly further intimidate by detention in custody or bring about some sort of exclusion order while the weapon charge is being decided

It's very subversive behaviour and serves to sully the many Garda with integrity

Post edited by whatever. on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ah rant about Gardai doing their job now!

Most people in society are happy that Gardai take knives, screwdrivers and other such implements of those looking to break the law.

Anyone with legitimate reasons for having those implements, is not breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭ooter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

I really hope the state is successful on this occasion if only to see the pro immigration lose their ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

Will IHREC take a case to court to defend the tens of thousands of adult children living in their parents bedrooms who have nowhere to live? Will they take a case to help the elderly sick and vulnerable sitting on hospital trollies for days in agony and in some cases dieing? We fund them but they use our money to represent the rest of the world. **** joke.

• Advertisement

It's fantastic timing for Sinéad Gibney (the instigator of the case) and wannabe MEP 2024

In a sworn statement to the court, the IHREC’s chief commissioner, Sinéad Gibney, said the Commission very carefully considered the matter before deeming it essential to bring this case.

She said the Commission had "very grave concerns" about the "very serious and persistent breach" of the human rights of affected newly arrived applicants.

Basically, she opens up the hugely expensive can of legal worms and then resigns a few weeks later to concentrate on her next personal enrichment project - to run for an MEP role

She can explain the reasons for using State funds to sue the State, as she canvassas on the doorsteps - Could be a case of one's past coming back to bite one on one's ass - Not that she stood much of a chance anyway

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2023/1221/1423309-human-rights-commission/

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Wow .. well Billy, thats an awkward one to answer but I'll do my best. Buckle in coz it may take some time. You may be sorry you asked !

First, 'They' are whomever handed over the keys to Croke Park (CP) ..ie the Park's guardians - this was done on leo varadkers watch (ie. before he did the runner) so i guess leo varadker is they.

CP came into existence in 1880. It was bought by the GAA in 1913 for £3 500. HILL 16 commemorates the brave men who gave their lives for Ireland in 1916. Later on the Cusack, Hogan stands were added and carry their own stories.

During the Dublin-Tipperary football match on November 21, 1920, the Royal Irish Constabulary drove onto the park, pointed their guns at the crowd and killed 14 civilians.

CP is where our annual iconic All Ireland hurling and football finals take place.

When i was growing up in rural Ireland, these matches were talked about weeks before and after the event. It was all people spoke about.

Getting a ticket to a final was like winning the lottery. Some 80 000 Irish men and women filled CP stadium on all-Ireland Sundays to cheer on their favourite team. The Park is rinsed with our blood, sweat and tears

CP saw us thru the milestones of our Irish history - Liberation from British rule, civil wars, world wars, a place where our forefathers, my own father, mother and their father and mother turned their wholehearted attentionst to that little patch of ground for All Ireland Sunday on radio or, if lucky, tv.

.. so, just like Uluru is sacred to the Pitjanjatjara Aboriginal people in Australia, CP is sacred to me. I dearly love and feel protective of the place

CP is also, by extension, a metaphor for my country of birth, Ireland. I was not "tweeted in" here. I was born and bred in Ireland. An Irish passport can give the bearer rights as an Irish citizen but it does not grant them "irishness" ie. Pride of place - a bit like money can't buy you class).

" .. nil aon thintean na do thinteain fein = theres no place like home ..

The ability to take pride in Irish things, place, customs, people that will mean nothing to someone newly arrived here, whose only concern is bulldozing his / her way to the trough ( not necessarily always but most often is the case).

The ability to spot when your President "forgets" to greet his people with the traditional happy Easter greeting .. as happened to one Irish female poster on here ystrday ... she got roundly ridiculed by 2 posters for expressing disappointment that the Irish President omitted to wish his people a happy Easter. I felt the Irish woman's disappointment and hurt when ridiculed by these 2 posters .. she was obviously born and bred here, not "tweeted in". An Irish person born and bred here would have commisserated, not ridiculed the poster.

So by Holy, i guess i mean a Reverence for the land and people that gave you everything.

In the case of CP, the place is sacred to me - it is an Irish sports ground .. it should not be used to court political sway or grant political favours. It is a uniquely Irish place. End of.

It is sad to see that Reverence being trampled upon .. i hold my own goverment responsible on this account.

What i love and revere, i feel obliged to protect. I have posted on here before about my concern for the Ireland my kids and their kids will live in. It will be vastly different to the Ireland I know but we need to be fully aware of what is happening so that history does not repeat itself.

While i have every sympathy for people fleeing war zones seeking refuge here, i advise caution on admitting all and sundry to Ireland. Eg. We have a large contingent of Nigerian refugees. North Nigeria has to contend with ultra islamic radicals but South Nigeria is relatively safe so, i would have to question why Nigerians would have to travel all the way to Ireland. In fact, with enough will, the Nigerian army could wipe out any perceived threats.

Re Palestinian refugees, I have outlined previously why i am reluctant to admit them as refugees despite the widespread popular support for their cause. And that has to do with their behaviour as refugees in the past 70-80 years as per the following ..

1. King Hussein's Jordan was the only Arab country to fully integrate the Palestinians. They repaid his largesse by running a parallel state within Jordan and attempted to assassinate and overthrow the man.

2. Next the Palestinians were granted refuge in Lebanon. Until their arrival, Druze, sunni, Shia and Marmonite Christians lived happily side by side. The arrival of the Palestinians tilted the demographic in favour of the Arabs and thus began the bloody 15 yr civil war. 150,000 people were killed. Christians were routed and massacred. 1000, 000 fled for their lives.

3. When Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990, the PLO under yasser arafat, gave their full backing to the invasion, much to the consternation of the other Arab states who had supported the Palestinians and felt roundly betrayed.

Will such behaviour translate into a total lack of respect for the host nation ?

I know little about migrants from other countries but i cannot hide what i do know and i feel compelled to share that information.

my country of birth is as holy / sacred to me as Makkah is the the Muslim, as Uluru rock is to the Aborigine and my government's Come all ye tweets have to be seriously revisited. Their current limp wristed response is laughable

Thank you for reading. Sorry for the length. I'll probly get reprimanded for rambling and ranting, (i do that a bit) but these are the feels of this born and bred Irishman

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I do actually get your point and even agree with you to some extent.

Broadly speaking, yes, I would agree that ethnicity and religion are not absolute determiners in terms of one's likelihood of committing crime. But some countries and groups of people have a cultural propensity for certain kinds of criminal or otherwise unsavoury activity.

For example, let's look at female genital mutilation. As Europeans we see it as an abhorrent practice and it's a crime. It's commonly practised in African cultures. I mentioned the Somali community in Sweden yesterday. Now in Somalia, virtually 100% of young girls are subjected to this brutal assault. It's completely normal in their world. Why do they think this is ok and we think it's appalling?

Nigeria also has a very high rate of this particular crime - and it is a crime in the eyes of the western world because it's an intrusive, abusive form of assault on defenceless young girls.

You mentioned poverty, unemployment, lack of education as contributory factors to crime. And unfortunately random economic migrants who roll up to our shores as they are doing at present are more likely to fall into poverty. The education system in some of their countries doesn't compare to ours so that even when they have qualifications, they're not a par with ours so they may not be able to find work in their field. Add limited English skills into the mix and it's not too promising for their futures. Incidentally there is plenty of drug dealing, theft, pimping, rapes and assaults in DP centres. I'm sure you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

The opening up of Ireland to other cultures from the 1960s onwards via TV and cinema has been mainly an opening up to contemporary Anglo-American culture, including political culture, plus to a lesser extent Continental law and culture. (With a few other things like salsa, Pop Buddhism and yoga.)

We have not really culturally embraced, and mostly do not know anything about, the cultures of Eastern and Global South third world countries in any real sense.

Yet these cultures will have a huge impact on the future of the country, via these ongoing mass population movements, in ways we can't yet realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mr67stag

Referendum on Migration please

Simple question yes or no

People are sovereign result binding.

Democracy at its best

Whats to fear.

Pretty simple

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a feeling that the upcoming locals and euros will be exactly that - a referendum on the Government's performance on this and several other key issues affecting the citizens and natives of this country.

It'll be a rehearsal for the general election that current thinking suggests will be later this year.

As I said yesterday and previously though, everyone reading or posting on this thread should make sure they get out and cast their vote. Look at the candidates on offer and their positions on the issues that concern you, ask questions if they show up at the door, and then vote based on who you feel will best represent your interests and positions.

Don't do the "usual thing" of not bothering or just voting for your usual candidates or party. Make them EARN and work for your support. Contrary to particularly FG thinking, they work for us not the other way around.

I said several years ago that this would become a key election issue yet. Well, here we are and it's important we take it seriously now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

People can't leave the country and people can't enter? Is that what you'd like?

Statements like that are nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

What would the referendum question be, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A yes or no on what exactly?

What part of the constitution would change?

I agree with Kaiser and Yates, the elections in June and Oct/Nov will be a vote on the government's inept handling of immigration.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Oh probably something silly like:

“Should the United Kingdom Ireland remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”

What could possibly go wrong and still not address the root issues and make them worse, as seen from UK

Advertisement