Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,765 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It’s my opinion dude, and I stand by it.

Changes need to be made that could eliminate the bore fest a lot of games are.

You need to wise up my friend, ,the game itself is not shïte, but the way some teams play it is.

There were disgraceful scenes in Croke Park today, no doubt about that , but the game itself was played

in a way which was very entertaining.

Teams doesn’t have to be in the top tier to play like that, I dispute that assertion straight away.

Jim’s big look into Gaelic Football starting this weekend .

Hopefully they take a sharp knife to the some of stuff in vogue right now.

Changes needed…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is clear that the OP of this thread and some of the contributors do not enjoy watching football. It is a chore for them rather than a source of joy. Jarlath seems happy enough with what we have at present. The "enhancements" can't include a limit to the number of handpasses, because this has been rejected by the players.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0405/1441928-gavin-targets-2025-for-trialing-of-rule-enhancements/

"But as for the potential for them to recommend wide-reaching changes to the way football is played, Burns said it was also possible to leave the game largely intact.

"The committee might decide to make no change at all because even the defensive game at times, with the goalkeeper going forward, can be very enjoyable to watch because you're waiting for a break and when it breaks the goalkeeper's up and you can see everybody scampering back," he said.

"That can be enjoyable. We're after witnessing maybe two or three of the best games we've seen in a long time, particularly the Division 1 league final.

"So there are a lot of very valid arguments out there to do nothing to the game, but most of the correspondence I've had since I became president have been specifically on the rules of Gaelic football."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He proposed having a shot clock. It is fine having those facilities at intercounty matches and senior football games where there is a large amount of personnel involved to spread the chores around to. But what about every junior B game and underage games where volunteer numbers are very low, and sometimes it can be a struggle to get someone to do linesman or umpires. If they bring in changes, they need to be practical in terms of the GAA community in its entirety - not just a focus on intercounty and RTE viewing numbers.

I’m sure those lads under the tutelage of Jim Gavin will take all those points into consideration.

Discussion coming up on Saturday Sport RTE radio on football…..perhaps the rules will be mentioned.

Fitzmaurice was part of that discussion. I think it was him who mentioned that all stakeholders are entitled to participate in a Survey. Everyone in the world can be a stakeholder. There is a link to the Survey here.

https://www.gaa.ie/article/football-review-committee-proposals-to-be-trialled-in-2025-league-and-championship

Seems Jarlath is anxious to limit the clipboard merchants influence on the game.

Wants it to be the most attractive amateur field sport in the world.

Hope they have the cahunas to weed them out and let the game flow and achieve that.

No need for clipboards these days.

https://pro.statsports.com/gaa/

The lads on the radio today were talking about having Sleep Coaches in GAA, like they do in some professional sports. S & C has reached such a high level, that the recovery time is now being regulated as much as the training time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Jizique

Not much wrong with Derry v Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Wait for Brendan on a Bender to come back with the repetitive drunken rant about all the handpasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Delighted to see the Derry goalkeeper caught out 3 times 😂 its about time this fade of the outfield goalkeeper was targeted. will it stop him coming out I wonder. There is no need for the goalkeeper to be playing out the field but the consequences of getting caught up the field are serious and not worth the risk in my opinion.

Watching Roscommon v Mayo 🤦‍♂️ it is more like Rugby these days, rubbish, turning it off now after only a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

football is muck.

Everyone knows it.

left wing, backwards to goalie, to the right wing , handpass, handpass, to the corner, backwards again, To the middle , back to the left , a one two, shoooot! No, handpass backwards to the middle, to the right again, shoot , wide

short kickout

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Piskin

It's the blanket defence that is the main problem. It has destroyed the game!!

• Advertisement

Plenty of clipboard merchants who think the way football is played these days is an entertaining experience.

Hopefully Jim Gavin and his panel can rescue the game from the depts.

Urgent action needed Not an entertaining spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

3 enjoyable games yesterday.

Watchable game in roscommon

Epic game in ulster today.

Not bad going.

your view of watchable is very different to mine. This is the first year where I have zero interest in Gaelic football, I wont even watch the all Ireland final this year.

I think I will go watch a hurling semi final in Croke park this year instead of a Football semi and I was never even at a hurling match before.

Imagine a ball going in to a forward where he is only marked by 3 defenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Derry v Donegal was a great watch.

Cavan v Tyrone was a great watch too.

Maybe Ulster is where the excitement is at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Supposed to be four steps before kicking or bouncing the ball… seven or eight when he caught the ball and five or six subsequently

What are you talking about. Been a great weekend of GAA football. Saw the Derry Donegal game. Was at Mayo v Roscommon. Entertaining match. Cavan Tyrone game yesterday was some entertainment. Galway Sligo game on a knife-edge to the final whistle.

Zero interest just this year. On a thread you started over 12 months ago.

And zero interest but you were watching Mayo Roscommon yesterday😁

12 months ago I would watch maybe 10% of games, now I have no interest in watching any gaelic football game.

I watched around 1 minute of Roscommon V mayo, no exaggeration there, 1 minute, that was enough for me.

Hopefully Ja and the lads will take the game out of the hands of the clipboard crowd and rescue it.

Time is running out I fear, it’s staring people in the face but they won’t admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭randd1

Football is a damn fine sport, and a thrilling watch when both sides simply go for it.

But far too often goes into boring lulls based on keep ball. Yes, possession gives you a better chance of creating space getting a score, which is why teams do it, but it is a boring watch. For every Dublin/Derry league final, there's 5 games that would bore paint as it's drying. Even in some games, you'd have 20 minutes of quality football, 50 minutes of slow fare, but the 20 minutes would mask the poor stuff.

I don't know what you can do to liven it up a bit, but whatever it is, base it around forcing teams to attack more. The more teams go for it in football, the less focus on possession, the more focus on taking on the man and beating him, the better the game of football. It can be an outstanding watch at times when teams simply play a natural attacking game, the likes of the Derry/Dublin league final stands up to and surpasses a lot of great hurling games of recent times.

How you get teams to attack more, I simply don't know (though I reckon a designated forwards approach could work), but the sport is fine in terms of the basics, it just needs a prod into unleashing itself.

Correct and right, excellent post with a very good synopsis of what's not entertaining about a lot of football .

I would have faith in Jim Gavin and the new President to have the vision to see that Gaelic football is in need

of a boost and take the steps to remedy a game, which, left to fester and languish in the swamps of

turgidity will surely descend into non events in the future.

The signs are all there…… they need to wrest the control of the game from the clipboard merchants and make it

a spectacle worth watching and attending.

maybe force teams to keep 6 men in the opposition half at all times

But would the teams keep the 6 men just inside the opposition half?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Down v Armagh has awful so far. 2 pts to 1 with 25 minutes played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They need to bring in a shot clock or a rule like Ice Hockey once the ball crosses the 65 and or 45 it can't be brought back out over it by the attacking team.

Teams have to be forced to actually shoot.

The clipboard statisticians have seriously damaged the game… even the commentators mentioned the crowd on their phones .

Come in Jim… the game needs you.

Gonna be lost in the GaaGo controversy and the Limerick Cork excitement but one of the first few years in a while that the 4 Provincial football finals were entertaining in their own right.

Been a good championship so far.

An enjoyable under 20 final today.

Anyone counting the handpassing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭King Power Fox

Football is a simple game. First pass in a move can be with the hand. Every subsequent pass with the foot. No going backwards into your own half. Forwards have to stay in their own half of the field. Force long kicking with lots of 1 on 1 competition all over the field. Risk of losing possession is too great. Its horrible to see teams like Donegal retreating on mass. Jim McGuinness is the ultimate pragmatist. Low risk football with very good players.

You obviously have not been watching Donegal this year. If they continue the progress that they have shown so far, they may be the only team to give Dublin/Kerry a challenge. The football they have played and the scores they got are a delight to witness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭King Power Fox

Fair enough how would you make football more attractive. Players have never been more skillful or fitter. Football can be a great game - how do you reward progressive teams. If two teams sit back and rely on breaking in numbers on a turnover I think it turns into a pass the parcel spectacle. A few top teams can just about carry it off but division 3 and 4 teams at it!

Jim Gavin and a group are having a look at football with a view to improving it as a game.

I'm hoping they come up with some innovations which liven up the game.

• Advertisement

11 a side and stop the goalkeepers travelling up the field. no frees going backwards, only 2 players allowed tackle the player in possession.

Post edited by pgj2015 on

Th most obvious start they can make to improving football is to get rid of the 3 from 4 out of the group stage and the league SF's.

There's virtually no jeopardy in the group phase until the last game, and even at that most of them games need only a draw for the 3 from 4 to progress. Limit it to two from each group, and the suddenly the tension and desire to go out and win goes up massive from the off as one bad result and you're staring down the barrel. A very obvious move.

Remove the league SF's. We don't need them.

That's two rounds of games removed throughout the year, so two weeks freed up in the calendar as well.

I would also have the 1st round of the provincials played after round 5 of the league, the provincial QF's after round 6, have round 7 of the league and then the League Finals, then the Provincial SF's and finals the two weeks after the league finals so some teams aren't waiting as long as others for their opening game in the Championship/Tailteann Cup.

And FFS, rename the Tailteann Cup the All-Ireland Intermediate Football Championship (because that's what it is) and give the winners guaranteed entry into the following seasons senior championship. A small difference, but ending the season as All-Ireland Intermediate Champions is an easier sell then Tailteann Cup winners, if it's good enough for the clubs, then it's good enough for the counties..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

"Remove the league SF's. We don't need them."

What league SF's?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Treble double

Relax! No need to get edgy about the football, it's only brought on because there is a buzz after the provincial round Robins in the hurling. That sideshow is over and the hurling fizzles out now as the All Ireland series isn't exciting. The football starts to slowly stretch its legs with the All Ireland series leading into knockout games that get the pulse racing as the big boys come face to face in cracking matches. It's the same every year, no need for all the drama over the state of the game

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0529/1452029-sheehan-too-many-athletes-not-enough-footballers/

Good idea, long range points are the only positive I see in Gaelic football at the moment.

Sorry, got completely confused with previous years. You are of course correct, thanks for the correction.

• Advertisement

Except the very real problem that the round robin phase in the football championship is a borefest with no danger.

There's no need for that to be the case. Remove the 3rd team getting out of the group, and suddenly things become much more serious and tension and interest ramps up.

The reason why the hurling has captured the imagination is exactly why the football hasn't; any loss (even in Leinster) and there's real danger you don't get out of the group, even with three going through. Tipperary were the only side with nothing to play for in the final round, and even at that a win for them could have been significant to 4 other teams (that didn't pan out, but was still possible). For the most part, it's do or die in hurling, and one slip up you're in real bother.

In football, technically speaking, you can lose two games, draw the third, and still go through. Hardly sets the pulses racing when you don't have to win to go through to the next phase.

Football, and the football championship, deserves better than the wet-blanket Preliminary Quarter Final sapping the life our of three rounds of the championship proper. Scrap it and let the group stage have some real danger in it and force teams to get a result, and when teams are forced to get a result in football, generally we have good football. Win-win.

Magnificent idea. At least worth a try.

On the arc things, it's an interesting idea. Have the tip of the arc half way at 35m and do a semi circle from the middle of the goal. So if the arc is in play, also bring in something like the drag down rule from hurling, a deliberate pull down in this area is a penalty instead of a black card, with a deliberate pull down in the penalty area is a penalty and a black card, to encourage teams to go for goal more.

It has only been going for one year. Last year none of the 16 teams got full points out of their 3 games. Mayo lost to Cork in their last game. Galway lost to Armagh in their last game. They played each other in the Prelimininary and Mayo won. But that put them up against Dublin in the QF which they lost. If they had beaten Cork, they would have been straight into a QF.

The last 4 in the AI were Dublin, Monaghan, Kerry and Derry. Two of which started the year in Division 2. Maybe Armagh and Donegal could emulate that this year? I expect Kerry and Dublin to get full points this year from their 3 games, but beyond that there is much jeopardy for teams that come second or third in their groups. It seems to be a full time hobby for people to dream up new championship formats, and to tell the players how they are supposed to play the game. But the format got 95% backing from Congress, and needs to be given a chance to see how it develops. Including the Tailteann Cup. And the players have no interest in nonsense like making them kick the ball if they got possession for a handpass, or banning the goalkeeper from taking part in general play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Quitelife

most players these days are supremely fit but have very little if any traditional Gaelic football skills - many of them seem to be only to handpass and never kick the football

They are more skilled these days at taking scores. And there are fewer wides. Because keeping possession including by handpassing, leads to more scoring opportunities. Goalkeepers these days take a much bigger part in the games. In the past their kickouts were into midfield where four players contested the catch.

High fielding is probably less of a feature now, but it is not needed as much. The keeper will find a player who is unmarked instead of risking the old way. Cluxton got a lot of praise over the years for his expertise in this play. And of course if the keeper is the most skilled on the team at long frees and 45's, like Beggan, it is natural for them to take that role.

• Advertisement
Advertisement